joey1toe

• joey1toe
      joey1toe
      Bronze
      Hello, my name is Catalin, I've been playing poker (texas hold'em) for about 7 years but not winning poker, hopefully that will change soon :)

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?

There isn't any motivation really, I just find it fun and I love the concept of outsmarting/outplaying someone else and taking away their chips :D surprisingly money isn't really a motivating factor for me, at least not at nl 0.02 :p

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

I guess my biggest weakness is my lack of effectively organizing the time that I have, not having a plan, not thinking ahead... another big weakness for me is lazyness and sadly an unwillingness to learn more of the mathematics of the game which is important because I find it boring, as I mentioned below currently I play for fun but I wish I would play A LOT more organized as well.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?

I think that someone who plays TAG is a player that has at least a basic understanding of the game, recognizez profitable/unprofitable situations and acts accordingly, someone who follows a hand chart be it for opening/calling/raising depending on his opponents and generally a winning poker player.
  • 4 replies
    • legand73
      legand73
      Bronze
      Hey joey1toe

Welcome to the beginner's course. Good to see you taking another step toward achieving some success in poker. I trust you will enjoy the course and wish you all the best. Bogdan our coach will be with you in the coming days to check your homework.

Regards,
      Luke
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hello joey1toe,

Welcome to the course.

I will be the coach that will help you through your journey.

For more information on each lesson please visit this link: Welcome to the No Limit Beginners Course Forums

Congrats on finishing your first homework. Well done on making it detailed as well.

Keep up the good work !!!

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Bogdan
    • joey1toe
      joey1toe
      Bronze
      Hello legand73 thanks for the kinds words and encouragement :D & hello Bogdan, I'm really glad to have you as my first coach towards my poker career :s_thumbsup:

Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?

Well, FR wise, I would open 99-22 from MP and maybe limp from EP (depending on my opponents). I would open AQ as well from EP, AJ & AT from MP, would fold to 3bet though (again depending on opponents). If faced with a 3-4x bet I would 3bet 3x with AQ and fold AJ/AT but again depends on position and opponents...

With A9-A2s I would open from MP but more often MP2/3 depending on opponents I may even fold... I'll fold to an initial bet and definitely fold against 3bet.

With KQs, KJs, KTs, QJs, QTs, JTs I would open from MP even if someone called preflop unless I have a read... I'll fold or 3bet an initial bet depending on position and opponent

With KQo, KJo, KTo, QJo, QTo, JTo I would play according to chart, can I play this range differently? like limping and opening from MP?

With T9s-54s I would play the same maybe opening from MP2/3 depending on opponents.

I'm unsure of what to do with A9-A2o though can I play it the same as if it were suited? how about suited/unsuited 1/2 gappers and T9-54o ?

Bogdan please add your own insight and what you think works best at the micros and if my ranges seem ok :)

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.

I don't know if it's ok to go all in preflop with AKo against a short stack (20-50bb), I wouldn't do this against an unknown player with 100bb though I would probably 3bet and fold to 4bet. Link: NL2 Ako preflop play

Also if I'm in LP should I 3bet light against MP ? something like 16% ? I would do this more with regulars and tight players... how about if I'm in the blinds?

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo.

With equilab = 46.32% I don't know if this is enough equity to consider going all in preflop though, do we need at least 50% for that? how can I know what sufficient equity is, and how can I calculate it on my own?
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Good job Joey,

Your 2nd homework is done.

Re Q1: It looks like you have come up with a good conclusion. You vary your open range based on your opponents.

Next you can also look at what hands you could fold (versus calling/raising) based on opponent types.

Re Q2: As I mentioned in the hand you posted I think it's perfectly fine to 3-bet in those spots (and go with the hand) unless you have some big reads that these guys are super nits.

3-betting 16% as abluff vs MP? That would be spew. You can 3-bet bluff but just a few hands that have blockers.

Best of luck,

Bogdan