beginners quiz

• georgy33
      georgy33
      Basic
      Hi

I'm, a regular online player on the ipoker network and i'd class myself as a good amateur hold 'em player. I tried to do the quiz and I failed!! The answers to the questions do seem overly structured. For example if you hold ak on k hi flop with 2 ppl in the hand and a preflop raise, you should not "always go all in" as this site suggests. It depends too much on your opponents, and the style you want to play according to those opponents. In the example on this site, there are no draws and you are in position. Against loose aggressive opponents, check calling has a lot of advantages, maximising profit and minimising losses if they made a set. Going all in with 1 pair on the flop can loose a lot of money at higher stakes ring games, frightening away loose players with nothing and stacking off against tight players with sets.

Don't get me wrong, i love the site (and the freerolls lol) but doesn't suggesting that every situation has a right or wrong answer stifle a new players decision making ability after the flop?

Georgy55
  • 2 replies
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Hello georgy33,

The quiz is based on our beginner articles which in turn are based on the Shortstack strategy. Since the SSS involves playing with only 20 big blinds, there is not a lot of flexibility as of what to do on the flop. Due to its mathematical basis it is a clearly structured strategy.

For Big Stack Strategy - you are of course correct - but that is not what the quiz is about :) So if you want to pass the quiz I would suggest reading the SSS articles (even if you don't plan on playing SSS - they help give you a good idea of how to play against them)

Thank you for the feedback :)

Best regards,
      SoyCD
    • georgy33
      georgy33
      Basic
      Fair enough Soy,

I won't use the strategy myself as it takes too much fun out of the game. But I do want to pass the quiz. lol. Its like being back at college. Maybe I should take notes.