Bank Roll Management

• Joeydobbo
      Joeydobbo
      Bronze
      Just a question on how to manage my bank roll, I was just wondering what sort of bank roll I need to be sufficient at various level, for example 1c/2c and 2c/5c. I usually deposit around 20 dollars and play 5/10 or 2/5 but I dont think that bank roll is sufficent enough.
      Many thanks :)
  • 12 replies
    • lkdr9494
      lkdr9494
      Bronze
      Depends in the strategy you use. Personally I believe you should have 40 buy-ins to play in that limit. You can bent a little over this.

Fo example, if you want to play .01/.02 buying in $2 you'd need $80. If you buy in with $1 you'd need $40. If you want to play .02/.05 and buy-in with $5 you'd ned $200. If you buy in ith $2 you'd need $160.

I believe the proper range of buy-ins you should have to play in said limit should be (25-50)
    • 7h3r1pp4
      7h3r1pp4
      Bronze
      Hello,

at your limits 20 to 40 buyins as BRM is good.

In the micro limits I personally would go with 20 to 25 and go up the limits as fast as you can because of the rake you pay there.

Rake is droping you winrate massivly at the micros.

The higher you go in the limits the more conservative you should do your bankroll managament but till NL25 I would be more agressive with it.

Cheers,
    • legand73
      legand73
      Bronze
      Hey Joeydobbo

As lkdr9494 and 7h3r1pp4 have said it is all dependent on the person. It depends heavily on how comfortable you feel at limits and how strong your game is. I think at the very least being a beginner you want to have at least 25 buy-ins for the micro-stakes. If you're playing BSS at nl2 then at least $50 and $125 if playing BSS at nl5 and I must stress that you should aim for 25 buy-ins at the very least.

Regards,
      Luke
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by Joeydobbo
      Just a question on how to manage my bank roll, I was just wondering what sort of bank roll I need to be sufficient at various level, for example 1c/2c and 2c/5c. I usually deposit around 20 dollars and play 5/10 or 2/5 but I dont think that bank roll is sufficent enough.
      Many thanks :)
      Hi, Joeydobbo

Welcome to PokerStrategy.com !

It looks like you figured it out:
      $20 is insufficient for 5/10 2/5 -- even if those numbers are cents!

It somewhat depends on which strategy you play, too.
      If you buy in for 20 big blinds, at $0.02/$0.05 you are buying in for a buck, and $20 actually might be marginally OK.

Another question is:
      What do you include in your bankroll?

Before Black Friday, I kept my entire poker bankroll on a single poker room.
      Suddenly, I lost it all.

Since then, my entire poker bankroll stays in a segregated savings account in my very own bank, and I deposit if necessary (well tbh it should be when necessary :f_cry: )

Here is the key:
      You must want to win, yet not hurt financially if you lose.

I once worked at an auction house. Before each auction started, the auctioneer would say, "Everything is sold as-is where-is. Let your eyes be your judge, and your pocketbook your guide".

Kinda the same here.

Never play with more than you can afford to lose

Best of luck,
      --VS
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Thanks everyone, some solid advice in there :)
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      I think that as long you don't play nl50+ 25BI's is enough. I always used this BRM and never had problems. If you are a bit unsure you can take like 30 or 35BI. Reasoning is that ppl in the micro's are bad, not matter what limit you play.

I think 40BI's for nl2 or nl5 is a bit to much.

But as said before it comes down to personal preferences.

Regards

RasTweet
    • Joeydobbo
      Joeydobbo
      Bronze
      Thanks for the response guys, just another quick question is this the same for sit and go's im currently playing $1 dollar 50 ones. Thanks again:)
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Hey again,

For SNGs anything from 75-100 buy ins is a good BRM :)

Regards,
      Gary.
    • 7h3r1pp4
      7h3r1pp4
      Bronze
      Originally posted by HollyMichelle
      Hey again,

For SNGs anything from 75-100 buy ins is a good BRM :)

Regards,
      Gary.
      100 is good and never underestimate the swings in poker :f_frown:
    • pokerplayerplayer18
      pokerplayerplayer18
      Basic
      im new to the game and have $500 to spare. do i look for bonuses? what stakes should i start at? 5nl?
    • cryoburn
      cryoburn
      Silver
      Originally posted by pokerplayerplayer18
      im new to the game and have $500 to spare. do i look for bonuses? what stakes should i start at? 5nl?
      There are several first deposit bonus here on pokerstrategy. It is up to you to choose a site to play. It will depend on the amount of bonus (i'd suggest looking for a site that has a 100% up to $500 bonus), as well as your prefered game format (e.g. SNGs, cash, mtts; and then by microstakes).

If you want to play cash games with $500 and your new to the game, I'd suggest you start on NL5, either fullring or 6max, not more that two tables at a time.
      This is bankroll deep enough for you to be confortably learning the game. Plus the number of tables should be short for you to focus on learning about players and trends, as well as to have time to think about your decisions.
      Only add more tables after you're already confortable playing 2 tables.

Also, don't start with fast poker like zoom, rush or whatever. First learn the fundamentals of poker. This should be your only goal for now.

Good luck!
    • ArkhamAsylum
      ArkhamAsylum
      Bronze
      As I went from 1/2 cent when I started, I think from memory I had like 20 ish buy ins and when I went higher over time 10/25 cent I went to like 40 to 50 buyins buy ins as I was meeting more competition and I had a fear of busting out back then and wanted a bankroll to be able to absorb losses.

When on the lower limits you pretty much are there to learn and earn a bit. If you have a wage from a job and income, you are less afraid of busting so there is less pressure to have exact bankroll especially at low low limits. But if busting out is always a fear, start dialing up the bankroll management.