This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Qustion about calculating Equity

• lkdr9494
      lkdr9494
      Bronze
      To take same example on the article: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/others/2251/1/

(First example facing all in pre-flop)

I don't seem to understand how to calculate equity against my opponent's range. If my hand is QQ (given I need 40% equity to break even) and opponent's range is (JJ+, AK) is there a way to calculate my equity agaisnt my opponent's range? In the article just says is 47%. So I'm confused about if there's way to actually calculate it? Or can it only be done by equilab?
  • 2 replies
    • 7h3r1pp4
      7h3r1pp4
      Bronze
      I think it can only be done with a tool like equilab.

If someone can calculate this in his head he must have a superbrain or something like that :f_biggrin:

On the other side if you have used equilab alot than you will have a feeling for how much equity you have against a xy range.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Hi, lkdr9494...

Equilab is the tool for this.

Here is the output from your example:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    47.37%  45.79%   1.58% { QQ }
      UTG+1  52.63%  51.05%   1.58% { JJ+, AKs, AKo }

The equation given is:
      Required equity = price of calling / (pot size + price of calling)

The example is:
      Preflop: Hero is Button with Q:dQ
      3 folds, Hero raises to $0.50, SB raises to $2.00, 1 fold, Hero raises to $5.00, SB raises to $25.00 and is all-in, Hero?

At this point the pot is 25 (from SB) 0.25 (from BB) and $5.00 from Hero making $30.25

The price of calling is 20.00 (you already have $5 in there)
      So the required equity is

20/(20+30.25) = .40

Your equity is GREATER than this so it is a call.

If your opponent is REALLY tight -- and hardly ever shoves -- we might conclude that he only shoves KK+, in which case it is an easy fold.

Download Equilab and learn to use it.

A lot of articles on Equity make use of it.

All the best,
      --VS