I need some advice

• MERIT900
      MERIT900
      Bronze
      I have been playing poker for several years but have never used any kind of Poker Tool. I have decided to try using Poker Tracker 4

my question is :- having never used any form of poker tool before is it advisable to play at the lowest buy in level whilst i am learning to use the software correctly ? or should i remain at my current level ?

Also is poker tracker 4 the right or wrong software to use as a first time user of any tracker software ?

MERIT900
  • 9 replies
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi MERIT900,

I've moved this to Beginners Questions forum for you, it seemed a more appropriate place for it even though you obviously aren't a beginner!

Regards,

Mal.
    • muel294
      muel294
      Bronze
      Yes. You should definitely play at a lower limit whilst you're getting to grips with using the software, particularly the HUD. This is really just so that you can get used to positioning and customising things as well as learning what the stats mean and how to use them.

Hope this helps.
    • SpiritMountain
      SpiritMountain
      Basic
      muel294 makes an excellent point. It is a good idea to move down and get comfortable with the new software while playing at a lower limit. The software will help, but it is important that you practice with it first and know how to use it when you're under pressure in higher limit games
    • MERIT900
      MERIT900
      Bronze
      thanks for the input guys

good luck in your games

MERIT900
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      I agree with everything that is said.

Since it's the first time you will use a HUD and stats it's a good idea to read this article. It will guide you in how you can evaluate and exploid stats.

Regards

RasTweet
    • MERIT900
      MERIT900
      Bronze
      thanks Rastweet

i read the article and understand the fundamentals of it

Question if i play SNG's at a lower level for say 3000 - 5000 hands to bring myself up to speed on the software, and to give myself a data base of hands to form my stats on, will this database be nullified when i return to my current level, in that very few players if any at $1-$2 buy in will also be at my current level $5-$10 buy in and will i be re entering that level blind for a further 3000 - 5000 hands until a data base for the level has been compiled ?

hope that made sense

MERIT900
    • muel294
      muel294
      Bronze
      that's gonna be the case anyway IMO. Just gonna have to play some hands to get stats and reads on regs. But I guess you'll probably be putting in some decent volume so I would imagine that shouldn't be a problem.

As a rule of thumb I wouldn't give raw stats too much weight in terms of decision making until you have a decent sample size on the opponent(s). Until then I would just watch unknowns more closely and try to categorize them based on their actions and take notes.
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Thank you everyone for chipping in :)
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Hey Merit9000

Like muel294 said you're going to need to get hands on the regs of your level once you move up.

Thing is you can only gather stats on someone when you play against him. Your stats will stay though regardless what limit you play. If I move up a stake I also have to start all over again because I don't have stats on the regs of that limit.

Regards

RasTweet