MTT Rebuy strategy

• SalamiandCheese
      SalamiandCheese
      Bronze
      What's a good strategy for rebuys?

I usually stay away from rebuys but I'm going to try a few of them out. I'm thinking that I'll make a rebuy at the start so I'm double-stacked then play it tight so I can take advantage of the looser players. If I get busted early on I'll make another double-rebuy. If I get busted and another double-rebuy will not give me a stack of at least 1/2 the average stack and/or there is not enough time to wait for another strong hand, I won't rebuy.

What do you think?
  • 23 replies
    • slikec
      slikec
      Global
      I tried few rebuys and i start with double chip stack and thats it for me no more rebuys. Rebuys are nice since some fishes really rebuy like crazy and prize pool really goes up like crazy :D But so far i wasn't lucky at them to many suckouts :(
    • Chiller3k
      Chiller3k
      Bronze
      Hi guys,

good news for you ;)
      I'm about to post a thread about this in the near future.
      stay tuned

Best regards,
      Chiller3k
    • 1seednoir1
      1seednoir1
      Bronze
      Tell when u do....
      I think we can make aloooot of money from them... I did win one of them but i guess it was luck since i never get far since...
      maybe i need an update from u
    • Hlynkinn
      Hlynkinn
      Bronze
      Always rebuy at the beginning for a double stack.

Always addon

and that's it
    • 1seednoir1
      1seednoir1
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Hlynkinn

Always addon

and that's it
      Is that ur winning formula?
      ur funny man...
    • NickParkes
      NickParkes
      Bronze
      I always rebuy at the beginning and play a TAG approach just waiting for a good opportunity... always always add-on... I used to allow myself 1 more rebuy if I went bust early on, but then I realised that with 3/4 buy-ins + 1 add-on, if I made it into the money then I was only just breaking even...

Even though I know the goal is to win if not place highly, but seeing as it does not always happen, if I make it into the money I want there to be at least a bit of a profit... I have placed 2nd and 3rd a couple times, and the payout is nice, but don't let it become too expensive getting there... and as with MTTs in general don't expect results straight away...

later

nick
    • Nunki
      Nunki
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Hlynkinn

Always addon

and that's it
      With only very rare exceptions.

Players who allow themselves to bust out instead of re-buying are giving everyone else $$$$'s and makes rebuy tournies more profitable than freezouts. If you are not prepared to rebuy then find another tournie.
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Tried the rebuy to get double stack plus add-on

Managed to get place 19

Alright its a good strategy. It gives you more time... and the more time you have the better the hands are you can play with.

But I would never re-buy if I am busted out. I don't bust out in the first hour of a tournie... thing is I actually do prefer rebuy tournies to freeze outs now since the players in rebuys tend to be more lose in the first hour, which is good for me.

If you bust out during the first hour because of a mistake you made (not suckout or bad beat) you will never make it into the money. No point investing anymore money into that tournie.

You should play re-buys like you would play freeze outs. Do not bust in the first hour, the entire oh I can take risks because I can just re-buy is wrong thinking. Your loosing time and chips and money for every rebuy, plus your giving someone else more chips which is as bad.

The real tournament begins after the first hour... that first hour is more like a donk all-in competition you want to stay out of. Good thing is it increases the overall price money :)
    • Hlynkinn
      Hlynkinn
      Bronze
      If you bust out during the first hour because of a mistake you made (not suckout or bad beat) you will never make it into the money. No point investing anymore money into that tournie.

1500 starting chips 1500 chips per rebuy...
      So after less then 1 hour blinds won't be more then 100 chips

so if you rebuy twice you got 30bb

Thats enough to win an mtt if you ask me...

I don't recommend playing loose in the first hour of a rebuy tourney tho :)

Tight is right
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Not saying that they won't make it because of their chip size.. 3k chips is plenty. Especially with addon to 5k chips.

They won't make it because they don't play well enough. Loosing in the first hour because of a mistake says a lot. If they can't concentrate during that first hour they won't be able to in the next 2-3 hours where the players will become better and better the further in you are.
    • superjunk
      superjunk
      Bronze
      Your strategy sounds good, :)

what about add ons ?

* Old topic didnt see it :P
    • NickParkes
      NickParkes
      Bronze
      always add on... always...
    • 1seednoir1
      1seednoir1
      Bronze
      Well i'm gonna play a 2$ tourney in 2mn... if i place ok after those advice i'll let u know :D

yesterday i spent too much money in those... i guess today is pay back!!!

I was just thinking... in order to play tight, a rebuy at the beginning of the game is advised. That way if you play well enough you can have a double up though a loose player. If you don't have that chance, then you just add-on and keep playing the same way. Actually that's what I'm going to do!!! :rolleyes:

Edit: I really do think that you need alot of chips at the break in order to play normally (all other players have monster stacks usually), or else you just end up against the wall bubbling.
    • 1seednoir1
      1seednoir1
      Bronze
      Well in the bubble i lost to loose players
    • timukasr
      timukasr
      Bronze
      Always rebuy at the beginning and if you have big roll then push any 2 (maybe you get ultra lucky, rest of the donks do), if you don't then I usually am more looser, looking for donks who push anytwo and push with my 88+, AT+ and then if u have quadrupled up or even more from the original stack start to play normal tournament poker (more tightish in first hour) and ofc add on when break arrives. After break play looser.
    • NickParkes
      NickParkes
      Bronze
      Originally posted by timukasr
      Always rebuy at the beginning and if you have big roll then push any 2 (maybe you get ultra lucky, rest of the donks do), if you don't then I usually am more looser, looking for donks who push anytwo and push with my 88+, AT+ and then if u have quadrupled up or even more from the original stack start to play normal tournament poker (more tightish in first hour) and ofc add on when break arrives. After break play looser.
      and if you bust out? do you rebuy? how many? I've played both and I still prefer playing tight and looking for a good opportunity to double up... but I would like to hear more about the thinking behind this.... basically you're looking for a bit of luck to build a big stack quickly.... but at the same time you're gonna lose a lotta the flips, so how much do you invest?
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by timukasr
      Whats with this push any 2 stuff again....
      If you don't care about the buyin because its 1$ say outright you want to waste it.

And none of the donks get lucky in the long term. They all bust out in the second hour after the rebuys are over. Who cares if they triple up pushing any 2.

Replying to Nick:
      Gambling like that in the beginning stages of a tourney is risking a lot. Best odds probably are if you push with any 2 that you manage to double up once out of 10. Biggest waste of money in my opinion.
    • zhorzh
      zhorzh
      Bronze
      Tight is right at the beggining, but you also want to be able to increase your chips to aground 2x, 3x the average before the break, since the blinds will eat you up ( talking about speed tourneys here).
      I usually rebuy at the start so I can have a good stack for double-up. Look out for your opponents and what they push with, cos usually there are a few donks that go on tilt very early on.
      I also go preflop allin with speculative hands (KT+, A9+, 55+) if there are more than 3 players in the pot and my stack is around the double rebuy. This way you have a chance to quadruple up, and if you lose you still have the same stack after the rebuy.
      Do not wait only for good cards, since you will often be in a multiway pot with your chances to get cracked increasing. Try to use the position, and push the small stacks around as mush as possible.

After the break, it depends on your chpistack really. If you are shortstacked, you must push any Axs, PP, even Kxs or two broadways. If you are deepstacked, try to steal as much as possible when IP, and fold low PPs and suited facecards from early.

Once you get to the final table its anybody's game really.

Gl,
    • CityTrader
      CityTrader
      Bronze
      I rebuy at the start to double stack of course but there is no sense with the add-on if you have 10k+ at the break...everytime you purchase more chips you are simply lowering the value of your eventual winnings...

...rebuy,rebuy,rebuy?? Sorry but that is what players like myself want you to do so I completely disagree with this strategy. There is no sense in rebuying more than 4/5 times and spending 5x the tournament buy-in. Again this detracts from the value of your potential winnings and often means you have to finish top 20 or better just to make a profit. I personally never spend any more than 3x the buy-in as Im looking for VALUE. My strategy is simple, after 3 rebuys move onto the next tourney..there are enough of them through the day!!

I hate to disagree with more experienced players but this is of course my opinion and you can make of it what you like :-)

Good luck to everybody