BRM and MTT variance

• maca1214
      maca1214
      Bronze
      What do you guys think about depositing a small sum of cash every week into pokerstars to play the 1 dollar and 2 dollar big tournaments?

Tourney > micro > regular

I think with the variance in those, you would need a bankroll of about 200 dollars
      and I don't really want to put that on the poker account at once, or maybe I should but it's the same thing putting it in every week right?

My plan is to final table one, so I can then stop depositing.

Anyone here play focus on those tourneys only?
  • 5 replies
    • unshpe
      unshpe
      Basic
      You live under 100 years (on average, you might have turtle DNA ) , so I would recommend depositing more and playing more tournaments than that per day.
    • Alan883
      Alan883
      Bronze
      Hello there maca1214 and congratulations on your fist post. Well done :f_biggrin:

I am not an MTT expert but i am aware of 100 buyins rule.

Here you will find more information about BRM for MTTs:
      EDIT by Asaban: The link was wrong - since I am not sure, which site you wanted to link to, I simply deleted it.

As you mentioned it doesn't matter where do you have your money. You have your own bankroll and of course it is not important whether you have your money on Skrill on Poker account or simply on your bank account. The most important thing is that you never invest more than you can afford. This is the basic principle for all types of games. If you invest more than you can afford than it becomes gambling and not game of skill anymore.

Good luck at the tables.
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      Hey maca1214,

Welcome to the forum indeed!

Whereas the article Alan mentioned does suggest 100 buy-ins (BI), 100 BI is not nearly enough, especially when playing large field MTTs on PokerStars, for example. In such cases, you will want to think more like 200-300 BI or even more, dependent on how large the fields are, as well as other things. For example, you probably won't need 400 BI for the 180 man tournaments on PokerStars, but for playing the standard large field MTTs, 400 BI is definitely not unreasonable!

Also you will find that most tournament players work with average BI instead, allowing them to play a few higher BI tournaments every now and then, as long as they play some lower BI tournaments as well.

If you want to start playing tournaments with a very small bankroll, then you are probably best off starting with the micro stakes MT SNGs. You can buy into these for as little as $0.25 (possibly even less?), and won't require a 400 BI BRM, that's for sure. At the same time, they are great for starting to build a bankroll and getting a good idea of how to play MTTs. These also have much less variance than the larger MTTs, which also helps a lot for your mindset, especially if you're a beginning player.

I'm sure Asaban will be here shortly to give you even more info on this (:megusta: ). But trust me, 100 BI will not be enough for the big MTTs!

Kind regards,
      Tino
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      Hey maca1214 and welcome to the forums =)

I would like to see further posts from you in the future!

First of all:
      Thx Tino! :heart:
      Your answer is perfect and there is not much to add for me. I would give the very same suggestions.

One thing I would like to add for clarification:

Originally posted by TinoLaan
      Also you will find that most tournament players work with average BI instead, allowing them to play a few higher BI tournaments every now and then, as long as they play some lower BI tournaments as well.
      That does not mean that you should play a 100$ tournament and dozens of 0.10$ tournaments in order to get your avg buyin to 1$. The "gap" between highest buyin and lowest buyin shouldn't be very big. The closer the range the better. Everything else will just push your variance further.

For a bankroll of 200$ I would suggest an average buyin <1$. For standard MTT's at Pokerstars (f.e. Big 1) 0.5$ ABI would be good. Your range should therefore consist of tournaments between 0.1$ and 2$ (focus on 0.1$ and take rare shots at 2$).

For the 180s that Tino suggested 200 to 250 buyins would be suitable. The 0.25$ 180s are a good way to start.

If you have any further questions feel free to ask!

Regards,
      Asaban
    • maca1214
      maca1214
      Bronze
      Ok, thanks for the replies guys. Gives me something to think about.