short handed playing question

• catwoman94
      catwoman94
      Bronze
      Hi guys, this is my first post here. Been playing for few months now. I have a question about calling K10 Q10 on button in raised pot. It seems like when we both hit a king a have weaker hand but many times we both miss and i can take a pot on the flop and sometimes when i hit a K or 10 i can outlop some pocket pairs. But i'm not really sure should i call these hands or just fold them? What is more profitable in the long run?
  • 3 replies
    • Coctaine
      Coctaine
      Bronze
      Originally posted by catwoman94
      Hi guys, this is my first post here. Been playing for few months now. I have a question about calling K10 Q10 on button in raised pot. It seems like when we both hit a king a have weaker hand but many times we both miss and i can take a pot on the flop and sometimes when i hit a K or 10 i can outlop some pocket pairs. But i'm not really sure should i call these hands or just fold them? What is more profitable in the long run?
      It depends on your chip stack, blinds, antes, reads on your opponents. I do not prefer to limp, i rather 3-bet or fold, but if u are low stacked u dont limp with it either, u either fold or shove with the hand, depending on the effective stack v opponent.

What is your stack size, blinds, antes in these situations?
    • catwoman94
      catwoman94
      Bronze
      i always play with full stack. thx for your answer ;)
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      Originally posted by catwoman94
      Hi there and welcome to the forums!

Because you've posted in the NL section I will assume you are talking about NL BSS and not tourneys :D In general flat calling hands like KT and QT will be a little too optimistic even if you do have some sort of decent read. At most you might be able to justify calling KTs and QTs but it's still pretty marginal.

That being said, the question is incredibly vague and can't be answered very well. For example:
      1) Who is the open raiser and how often is he opening?
      2) What is the open raiser's position?
      3) How does he play postflop, and do you have any chance of winning without a showdown?
      4) Who is left to act and is it likely that you'll end up getting squeezed or making it to the flop multiway?

As you can see it really just depends on so many factors and the best thing for you to do would be to not try to come up with a blanket strategy/system but rather understand why exactly you might want to call.

I hope that helps! Also, check out the hand evaluation forum. You can copy & paste hands from your sessions that you have questions about and get them analysed by the coaches. It is definitely worthwhile!

Lewis.