Beginners Setup

• Cambridges
      Cambridges
      Bronze
      I want to put in some time on low stakes cash games to try improve my game. I've mainly been a MTT player so adjusting is going to be interesting. I also haven't played for around a year.

I'm in full time employment, with freelance work on top of that, so time is limited, only top of that I get eye strain/headaches sometimes (I'm a web developer, I look at a computer all day). So every second I can play I'll have to make count.

I'm planning on playing 1c / 2c, i'm basically going to throw a bunch of questions out there and hope some get answered:

• What bank roll should I start with at these stakes
      • How much should I have at the table to start with
      • How much should I earn at the table before going back to the default
      • What site should I use? I currently own accounts on FTP, PS and Party Poker
      • Should I be using software to track? If so which one?

Any resource that can help with the above would be awesome. I know there is "search functionality" however a lot of it is diluted and, from what I read - conflicting.

Desired resources are mainly:

low stakes bankroll management
      Basic poker maths
      cash game strategy.

huge thanks
  • 5 replies
    • Salivanth
      Salivanth
      Bronze
      In order:

20 BI for Full Ring and 25 BI for 6-max is the standard recommendation.

Depends on your strategy. The most common strategy, BSS, involves buying in for the maximum, which is 100 big blinds, or $2 at your stakes.

Theoretically, you should just stay. In practice, if more than 10% of your bankroll is at one table, feel free to leave the table.

Any should work, but someone more qualified might have a better answer.

Yes, but at your stakes it might not be worth buying. Try the free trials for Poker Tracker 4 and Hold'Em Manager 2, and decide which one you prefer.
    • Cambridges
      Cambridges
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Salivanth
      In order:

20 BI for Full Ring and 25 BI for 6-max is the standard recommendation.

Depends on your strategy. The most common strategy, BSS, involves buying in for the maximum, which is 100 big blinds, or $2 at your stakes.

Theoretically, you should just stay. In practice, if more than 10% of your bankroll is at one table, feel free to leave the table.

Any should work, but someone more qualified might have a better answer.

Yes, but at your stakes it might not be worth buying. Try the free trials for Poker Tracker 4 and Hold'Em Manager 2, and decide which one you prefer.
      Thanks,

I'll take a look at BSS and the mentioned software.
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      Hey Cambridges,

First of all, welcome to the forum!

Salivanth already gave you an excellent answer, but I'd like to add a few bits and pieces myself.

I've made the switch from MTTs to cash games a while ago as well. Like you said, you'll have to adjust quite a bit due to numerous factors, but you'll find that with your previous experience in poker you won't do too terrible!

Starting out at NL2 is a good idea, especially if you've never played cash games before.

What bank roll should I start with at these stakes
      I would recommend starting with $50 or so, as this gives you 25 buy-ins (BI) for playing at NL2. I would also recommend moving up the stakes when you have 25 BI for the next highest stake (so move up to NL5 with $125). However, everybody has their own BRM here, and some people prefer using 30 BI or 20 BI instead.

The one thing I would recommend is not being too conservative. For example, using a 40 BI BRM is probably not going to be great, as this can backfire in multiple ways. First of all, it will slow down your learning process. You can learn a lot simply by moving up and down the stakes (there is absolutely no shame in having to move down every now and then!). In addition, rake in the micro stakes is relatively very high, so staying there too long won't do you much good either.

This is something you'll have to find out for yourself though. However, using 25-30 BI should generally be a safe option.

Also if you would prefer not to deposit your own money initially, you can take advantage of our free poker money offer by taking our quiz: Free poker money

That way you can start playing without investing any of your own money.

How much should I have at the table to start with
      This question was already answer.

If you want to really get started playing the Big Stack Strategy, I would strongly recommend you take a look at our Beginner's Course. This course will guide you through the basics of NLHE cash games, and are a great place to start for anyone, even if you already have more experience.

Beginner's Course

What site should I use? I currently own accounts on FTP, PS and Party Poker
      This depends a lot. However, if you want to go for the free poker money, then any of the available poker rooms should suffice.

If you want to have a more detailed answer, you can write a post in this thread and you will get an answer from someone who knows more about this than me: Choosing the right Poker Room for you!

Hopefully this helps, and aside of all this, should you have any other questions just ask. :)

Kind regards,
      Tino
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Hey Cambridges

There is almost nothing to add here, the guys above me did a great job. But I did noticed you mentioning eye strain and headache. Have you ever tried one of those glasses that you put on when working on a computer? Like gaming glasses? I don't know if they work or not but it might be worth it for you!

Regards

RasTweet
    • Cambridges
      Cambridges
      Bronze
      Originally posted by RasTweet
      Hey Cambridges

There is almost nothing to add here, the guys above me did a great job. But I did noticed you mentioning eye strain and headache. Have you ever tried one of those glasses that you put on when working on a computer? Like gaming glasses? I don't know if they work or not but it might be worth it for you!

Regards

RasTweet
      Cheers, I've looked into this. I may purchase a pair, though hourly brakes have been helping. Thanks to all for the help! Going to go with the 25BI rule and see how I get on :)