This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

How to deal with a lag reg on the bubble?

• sunchyme1
      sunchyme1
      Bronze
      $1 9 man on 888 poker. Blinds 150/300

CO 2245
      BTN 4365
      SB 3500
      BB (HERO) 3390

Lag reg on the button min raises to 600. I shove from bb a8s. He calls with aq and I lose. Since the bubble began villan has been raising a lot, especially on the button. I no hes doing it wide and has folded to my shove before. But is this the right play?

Did I just run into a good hand? How do you deal with these guys who are raising a lot? I can't just keep folding to his raises right? But when I try to make a play like this I eventually end up running into a hand.

Thanks
  • 5 replies
    • Glopslart
      Glopslart
      Bronze
      I find bubble play frustrating too.

I expect one of the coaches will give you the mathematically correct /ICM answer soon.

My personal take is that you did the right thing, but got unlucky.

1] The crucial thing for me is that you saw Villain stealraising a lot.

2] A8s is not a brilliant hand but has loads of equity against any likely stealraising range.

3] Sometimes, the aggressor has a real hand - and on the bubble AQ is a hand to put your life on, especially after one fold. Unlucky.
    • badgerer
      badgerer
      Bronze
      i'd probably just fold and wait for a better spot, especially with CO being shorter than you. i personally wouldnt want to risk bubbling with a measly a8.
    • kurrkabin
      kurrkabin
      Bronze
      Hi, guys!

In the future, please post these hands in our <5$ hand evaluation forum-here's a link: Click. You are gonna need bronze status however. Which is super easy to achieve.

Anyway, to shortly analyse the hand:

I think that a good reg is gonna push a big number of hands on the BTN(especially with a reg sitting on the BTN), so his raising range is mostly polarized towards monsters and very weak hands. Given the big number of hands he can profitably push pre, I think his r/f range is very small. So I fold A8s :)

With guys that raise a lot you deal by re-stealing a lot, however, here both you and SB are very short-11-12bb eff., so I guess villain is not gonna r/f A2o when he can profitably push it pre.
    • sunchyme1
      sunchyme1
      Bronze
      Thanks for the replies. Yeh i did post this in the hand evaluation section aswel, i wasn't sure which was the best place to post it...

The button wasn't pushing at all, just min raising. And bare in mind this is a one dollar game, i dont think he was good enough to have the strategy you suggested a good reg has (pushing very wide and r/c premium, r/f trash).

This is why i didnt know what to do here. He was just mraising everything. But i guess from what your saying i was too short and weak to resteal with this hand?

Also, when you come across guys who are adapting this strategy of r/f trash, r/c premiums, and shoving the rest, when you are faced with a mr from him, what is your play?
    • Glopslart
      Glopslart
      Bronze
      Originally posted by kurrkabin
      Hi, guys!

In the future, please post these hands in our <5$ hand evaluation forum-here's a link: Click. You are gonna need bronze status however. Which is super easy to achieve.

Anyway, to shortly analyse the hand:

I think that a good reg is gonna push a big number of hands on the BTN(especially with a reg sitting on the BTN), so his raising range is mostly polarized towards monsters and very weak hands. Given the big number of hands he can profitably push pre, I think his r/f range is very small. So I fold A8s :)

With guys that raise a lot you deal by re-stealing a lot, however, here both you and SB are very short-11-12bb eff., so I guess villain is not gonna r/f A2o when he can profitably push it pre.

Oh dear! And I would have repopped!! I never thought of myself as a spewy maniac before. :D