How to deal with a lag reg on the bubble?

• sunchyme1
      sunchyme1
      Bronze
      $1 9 man on 888 poker. Blinds 150/300

CO 2245
      BTN 4365
      SB 3500
      BB (HERO) 3390

Lag reg on the button min raises to 600. I shove from bb a8s. He calls with aq and I lose. Since the bubble began villan has been raising a lot, especially on the button. I no hes doing it wide and has folded to my shove before. But is this the right play?

Did I just run into a good hand? How do you deal with these guys who are raising a lot? I can't just keep folding to his raises right? But when I try to make a play like this I eventually end up running into a hand.

Thanks
  • 5 replies
    • Glopslart
      Glopslart
      Bronze
      I find bubble play frustrating too.

I expect one of the coaches will give you the mathematically correct /ICM answer soon.

My personal take is that you did the right thing, but got unlucky.

1] The crucial thing for me is that you saw Villain stealraising a lot.

2] A8s is not a brilliant hand but has loads of equity against any likely stealraising range.

3] Sometimes, the aggressor has a real hand - and on the bubble AQ is a hand to put your life on, especially after one fold. Unlucky.
    • badgerer
      badgerer
      Silver
      i'd probably just fold and wait for a better spot, especially with CO being shorter than you. i personally wouldnt want to risk bubbling with a measly a8.
    • kurrkabin
      kurrkabin
      Bronze
      Hi, guys!

In the future, please post these hands in our <5$ hand evaluation forum-here's a link: Click. You are gonna need bronze status however. Which is super easy to achieve.

Anyway, to shortly analyse the hand:

I think that a good reg is gonna push a big number of hands on the BTN(especially with a reg sitting on the BTN), so his raising range is mostly polarized towards monsters and very weak hands. Given the big number of hands he can profitably push pre, I think his r/f range is very small. So I fold A8s :)

With guys that raise a lot you deal by re-stealing a lot, however, here both you and SB are very short-11-12bb eff., so I guess villain is not gonna r/f A2o when he can profitably push it pre.
    • sunchyme1
      sunchyme1
      Bronze
      Thanks for the replies. Yeh i did post this in the hand evaluation section aswel, i wasn't sure which was the best place to post it...

The button wasn't pushing at all, just min raising. And bare in mind this is a one dollar game, i dont think he was good enough to have the strategy you suggested a good reg has (pushing very wide and r/c premium, r/f trash).

This is why i didnt know what to do here. He was just mraising everything. But i guess from what your saying i was too short and weak to resteal with this hand?

Also, when you come across guys who are adapting this strategy of r/f trash, r/c premiums, and shoving the rest, when you are faced with a mr from him, what is your play?
    • Glopslart
      Glopslart
      Bronze
      Originally posted by kurrkabin
      Hi, guys!

In the future, please post these hands in our <5$ hand evaluation forum-here's a link: Click. You are gonna need bronze status however. Which is super easy to achieve.

Anyway, to shortly analyse the hand:

I think that a good reg is gonna push a big number of hands on the BTN(especially with a reg sitting on the BTN), so his raising range is mostly polarized towards monsters and very weak hands. Given the big number of hands he can profitably push pre, I think his r/f range is very small. So I fold A8s :)

With guys that raise a lot you deal by re-stealing a lot, however, here both you and SB are very short-11-12bb eff., so I guess villain is not gonna r/f A2o when he can profitably push it pre.

Oh dear! And I would have repopped!! I never thought of myself as a spewy maniac before. :D