Tilt! Feedback Thread on the Strategy Article Series on Tilt

• 8 replies
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      Very good articles and much needed on this site, since its a common problem.
      Among other things it was interesting to know that I had to get away from the pc when resting.
      It was very interesting to know how my emotions urge me to go on tilt even though I know I shouldnt.
    • RockEye
      RockEye
      Bronze
      Very, very good articles. thx PS.
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      I started to read them but missed the odd word or two, words that were stacked in my favour and words that I felt I shouldn't have missed.

The frustration with this made me lose a whole sentence. With hindsight I should have stopped there and then & gone calmly back to the top of the page, but I didn't.

I tried to recoup that sentence straight away again, threw some vowels out of my pram and ended up losing a whole paragraph.

I just knew that my luck would change if I pushed harder, but sadly I ended up losing the whole word bank(roll)

:D ;) :D ;)

Seriously though, good articles. Well worth a read. Keep up the excellent work.
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      Originally posted by EagleStar88
      I started to read them but missed the odd word or two, words that were stacked in my favour and words that I felt I shouldn't have missed.

The frustration with this made me lose a whole sentence. With hindsight I should have stopped there and then & gone calmly back to the top of the page, but I didn't.

I tried to recoup that sentence straight away again, threw some vowels out of my pram and ended up losing a whole paragraph.

I just knew that my luck would change if I pushed harder, but sadly I ended up losing the whole word bank(roll)

:D ;) :D ;)

Seriously though, good articles. Well worth a read. Keep up the excellent work.
      hehe
    • strat9
      strat9
      Bronze
      Very helpful. Keep them coming. I read them throughout every downswing. It helps put things in perspective.
    • viewer88
      viewer88
      Bronze
      I simply loved 'm all. More usefull then alot of the "normal" strategy articles imo.
    • tripstim79
      tripstim79
      Bronze
      Guys I have to ask, are we all really as happy as we make out to be on these forums, or are there others (like me) who have the key ingredients for a poker player, but the almighty TILT ruins it for you.

I won't go into the scary details, suffice to say that if I dont finish well in the ECOOP M/E this weekend, I am facing a serious problem with debt.

I know it's all good and well to discuss strategies and theories which I do occasionally involve myself in, but I find it hard to believe that a community of this size that I am the only one that has suffered and suffered BIG due to psychological issues which trigger my tilt.

Soy, It may not be a pretty sub-forum to start but I honestly think we need to go one step further than "Ups, Downs & Psychology" and add one relating to the more serious side of behaviour and psych issues.

I hope this post isn't removed due to "depressing" factor and truly hope that we can get some responses.

We are not alone, or so I would like to believe.

Trips.
      Poker winnings since April £8,567
      Credit Card debts £At least twice the above amount.
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Originally posted by tripstim79
      Guys I have to ask, are we all really as happy as we make out to be on these forums, or are there others (like me) who have the key ingredients for a poker player, but the almighty TILT ruins it for you.

I won't go into the scary details, suffice to say that if I dont finish well in the ECOOP M/E this weekend, I am facing a serious problem with debt.

I know it's all good and well to discuss strategies and theories which I do occasionally involve myself in, but I find it hard to believe that a community of this size that I am the only one that has suffered and suffered BIG due to psychological issues which trigger my tilt.

Soy, It may not be a pretty sub-forum to start but I honestly think we need to go one step further than "Ups, Downs & Psychology" and add one relating to the more serious side of behaviour and psych issues.

I hope this post isn't removed due to "depressing" factor and truly hope that we can get some responses.

We are not alone, or so I would like to believe.

Trips.
      Poker winnings since April £8,567
      Credit Card debts £At least twice the above amount.
      Hello tripstim79,

The depressing sides of poker are sadly just a reality as the success stories. This is why I would certainly never try to remove from discussion, but instead try to give you a platform for discussion / finding help. Currently there is however not enough activity in the Psychology forum to further extend it.

On your post itself. The mental side is probably the most underestimated aspect of poker- which is why we always stress the importance of BRM and have such articles on tilt and professional attitude. Playing at one's own comfort level in terms of psychology and bankroll is essential for leading a "healthy" poker career, without running red numbers.

I would advise anyone against investing larger amounts of their own money into poker (just as yourself) since "microstake" grinding does a lot more than just build your bankroll. It builds tilt resistance, advances your game, and make sure that you are actually ready for the higher levels. If you progress through the levels one step at a time it means you have already gone through enough beats and situations to better deal with the problems of the higher stakes. If a player goes broke on e.g. NL200 due to tilt or not moving back down - I would recommend him to if he deposits start a few levels lower and work his way back up - since he is otherwise not making consequences for his actions that lead to him losing money.

If you are currently facing debt situations due to Poker I would seriously think about the path that lead there. Playing above your bankroll or skill level is just another form of tilt - and you should never steer yourself into situations where your bankroll or financial security rest on a single tournament (scared money is all I can say here). While in the German community we also have the author of the articles available for private psychology coachings, the English site is still not quite on that level.

I will of course release more psychology articles such as setting stop loss limits etc. but those are of course only part of the process. In order to fight Tilt you need to be hard on yourself.

Best regards
      SoyCD