One last time!(?) [NL5-NL10 ZOOM]

• koosMaras
      koosMaras
      Bronze
      Hi!

Here I am starting yet another blog. What can I say, I'm a quitter. My highest achievement is NL10. Why? Because I didn't try enough. Everytime I lost like 500 bb in one day, I made a cash out and basically wasted my BR. Loser mentality :) Lost and ran away crying.

So why I'm back here, writing this? Well, I was still lurking around in blog forum section seeing how succesfully people climb up in limits and started thinking why I can't be as succesful as they are? Actually, I can! Few people mentioned "Champions Stand Up One More Time Than The Rest" series in their blogs. I decided to give it a try, watched the first part of the series and now I'm here. It means I'm up for this challenge! :)

First part of the series is the only one I can watch at the moment since following parts require pokerstrategy's gold status. I don't have BR on any of platforms where I can get strategy points. Though I understood that discipline and belief are two very big things for improvement. So eventually I should be able to get some money on tracked poker rooms, earn some strategy points and watch the whole series. It all depends on me.

Let's go!

STARTING POINT

Poker room: PokerStars
      Game type: NL5 Zoom
      Starting Bankroll: 200$

General rules:
      -> Play 6 days a week, choose free day from Friday/Saturday/Sunday;
      -> Study poker each day, yes also during free day (includes hand analysis, articles, videos etc.);
      -> Daily blog updates to keep track of progress and train discipline.

WEEK 1 (10.01 - 10.06) PLAN:
      -> Follow General rules;
      -> First two days play at least 1k hands a day slowly increasing volume during the week:
      [GOAL: Start next week with 2k hands a day]. More I will play, more I will learn;
      -> Create a consequent plan of subjects to study;
      -> Write notes about things that I feel make me some problems during session.

And to end this post:

1. Champions stand up one more time than the rest.

2. I can achieve whatever I want!

#believe
  • 55 replies
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Silver
      Welcome back!

Good luck!

#believe
    • koosMaras
      koosMaras
      Bronze
      #DAY 1#

Played first 1k hands succesfully. Overall I'm happy with my game, was thinking during session more than ever, almost no robotic moves :) Made few notes about spots where I was struggling or simply need another opinion:

-> Facing min-donkbets;

Poker Stars, $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BTN: $9.94 (198.8 bb)
      SB: $5.02 (100.4 bb)
      Hero (BB): $6.22 (124.4 bb)
      UTG: $6.04 (120.8 bb)
      MP: $9.52 (190.4 bb)
      CO: $7.17 (143.4 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q A
      4 folds, SB completes, Hero raises to $0.20, SB calls $0.15

Flop: ($0.40) 7 T 6 (2 players)
      SB bets $0.10, Hero folds

Here I'm facing donkbet from 18/3 guy who folded to cbet 6/8 times and donked 5/10. I think this flop hits his SB completing range pretty good, probably he has pair, gutshot or a pair + gutshot. This guy has high WTSD% so he probably chases after gutshots and can call down with 2nd or 3rd pair, so didn't think I would accomplish much with raising here. Problem is I don't know is calling a good option here. Gotta figure that out.

BTN: $6.96 (139.2 bb)
      SB: $7.08 (141.6 bb)
      BB: $4.91 (98.2 bb)
      UTG: $7.88 (157.6 bb)
      Hero (MP): $5 (100 bb)
      CO: $2.70 (54 bb)

Preflop: Hero is MP with 3 3
      UTG folds, Hero raises to $0.15, 3 folds, BB calls $0.10

Flop: ($0.32) 2 7 4 (2 players)
      BB bets $0.15, Hero folds

And another hand where I'm not sure about calling/don't think raising is good. Though this time villain is unknown.

-> Check hand history and forums for Cbetting low boards, paired boards and when to barrel on the turn;

-> More focus on possible river bets vs ch/c, ch, ch line;

Made last note after reviewing hands where I saw showdown. It made me feel like I'm not following the hand if my flop cbet gets called. Quite a few times villain showed me a hand which I could've forced to fold by betting on the river.

So far feeling good, can't remember last time I wanted to play poker this much. Today I will focus on my game from CO, already thought about my opening and 3betting ranges. Probably will play more loose to get a better feeling how different types of players react. Need to collect some material for tomorrow's review.
    • koosMaras
      koosMaras
      Bronze
      # DAY 2 #

Another 1k hands in history. Didn't start with 2 winning days in a row, basically break even now. Though, I didn't feel that my loss was equal to profit of Day 1. Felt comfortable and played smart poker, following plan for my session. Made a mistake by stacking off vs 60bb guy preflop witk AKo, he basically told me that he has high pair. Oh well, moment of weakness, probably because it was one of very few big hands that I got dealt last evening. I'm sure this won't repeat again. Won't hesitate folding big hand ever again if I know opponent has a better pair of cards.

Some plans for Day 3:
      - Play at least 1,5k hands, not adding more tables;
      - Steal 100% from BTN;
      - Loose stealing range from CO;
      - Make some 3bets vs EP/MP open raises with good hands I usually would fold.
    • koosMaras
      koosMaras
      Bronze
      # DAY 3 #

Closed my tables for today. Added 500 hands to my previous daily volume. Had some thoughts about finishing session at 1k hands, but changed my playlist and secured those 500 hands like a baws :f_biggrin:

More than enough hands are waiting for me to analyse tomorrow and only then I can evaluate how solid my game was. At this moment I rate my session as good, there were few spots where I made solid folds imo. Though, those hands will probably be posted in evaluation forum to get an opinion from more experienced player(s). And all ins, well, what can I do when a guy stacks off with A5 v AQ on Axx and catches his 5 or set isn't strong enough to bet OESD. One thing I know - with sample size large enough I will be the winning player in these spots. For now I'm happy that I thought about those hands in opponent's range during the game and I kept focused no matter what.

I will eventually achieve what I want, need to focus on things I can change. So tomorrow I need to:

-> Analyse hands with showdown, hands played from CO and BTN;
      -> Come up with next session's plan after analysis;
      -> Play 1,5k hands.

Some video games and bed later. Cya!
    • Alan883
      Alan883
      Bronze
      Hello koosMaras,

great blog and nice updates so far. Just keep up with great work and results will come for sure.

I am subscribed and look forward to see your progress. GL.
    • koosMaras
      koosMaras
      Bronze
      Thanks, Alan883! Will sure do my best.

Finished review of yesterday's session where I looked through hands where I saw showdown, 15 non-showdown hands with big pots and hands where I made steal attempts from the BTN. 100% openraising from the button was profitable yesterday, will see how it'll work today since I want more hand samples with steal from button. So far I start seeing couple of tendencies when stealing:

-> High VPIP, low postflop aggression players ch/f to flop cbet;

Stealing any two should work fine against them :)

-> Line: ch/c flop, ch turn, ch river means a weak hand and betting on the river with no showdown value hands is recommendable unless board goes crazy like 4 :heart: , 4 cards for straight and etc.;

-> High VPIP/PFR difference players with high postflop aggression ch/r paired flops and flops with face card + possible flush or straight draw. Since I had trash hands in those spots I folded. Really want to get into a spot like this with playable hand.

Getting ready for today's session. Two winning days in a row would be nice!
    • koosMaras
      koosMaras
      Bronze
      # DAY 4 #

Mini-achievement of two winning days in a row: DENIED.

Today's session: lost like 3-4 stacks in first 500 hands. Will win in similiar spots in long run though. Did I deserve to end up with profit after this session? No. Made few bad decisions which costed me that -100bb in the end, I think I was a bit frustrated after losing 3 stacks so fast, got to work on that. Though still found things to be happy about, actually feeling that my thought process becomes better and faster during hands. So should start crushing soon.

Tomorrow is day without playing but not the day without poker. Planning to look through more hands than usual, maybe will find a video or two to watch or an article to read. Should post few hands for evaluation and look at hands other people post.
    • koosMaras
      koosMaras
      Bronze
      # DAY 5 #

Planned to play 2k hands today after free Saturday, but stopped my session with 1k hands in history. Why? Because my mentality was shitty. Decided not to force myself to play more hands because quality is the most important thing for me right now.

Started session in a good mood, had a couple of bigger pots in the first few hundred hands. Then got some 'WTF' hands which surprisingly put me on some sort of tilt. Started doing stupid things even when I knew it was bad. Today was not my day. Got to come back stronger tomorrow. Starting new week with -1k hands in my plan.
    • koosMaras
      koosMaras
      Bronze
      # DAY 6 #

Played 1,9k hands today, happy with 90% of my performance during session. The level of my game fell of in the end after some pretty big hands went not my way, so closed the tables immediately. I know I planned to play 4k hands over last two days, have played 2,9k. Tbh 1,5k hands a day is really good for me at this point. Eventually I'll be grinding even more, but now it's not worth to risk losing profit of a nice session by forcing few more hands.

So I started facing tilting problems, not that big, though still a problem. That's why I decided to look at my results only once a week and forcing myself to only think about making correct decisions and not concentrating to the outcome. Thoughts like 'how can you call this' or 'why the fk would you do that' needs to stop, I'm playing not to teach my opponents, I'm playing to get better and then make some $$$.

Overall, I feel like today's session ended with positive or at least break even result. Today I tried to implement some things I read in Verneer's moving through uNL. Tomorrow I'm planning to play with ranges when analysing:
      -> hands that WTSD;
      -> biggest non-showdown pots;
      -> hands where I faced an open raise from EP/MP and saw flop.
      At least 10 hands for each. Maybe will spot something else to look through during analysis.

See ya tomorrow!
    • koosMaras
      koosMaras
      Bronze
      # DAY 7 #

Solid session today, really happy with my decisions and thought process. Maybe less and less braindead moves make me lose focus faster than usual. So this week I won't be forcing myself to play more and more hands. Rational goal would be at least 1k hands a day and priority goal would be maintain and improve quality of decision making.

Not used to write something down each day, so it's difficult for me to make interesting updates, but this blog helps me with discipline and habit development. Maybe blog will become more colourful when I'll start showing some graphs, just need to decide when.

Feel like I'm wasting a lot of time during the day, so will try to set a schedule for myself. One thing I know - more poker tomorrow!
    • koosMaras
      koosMaras
      Bronze
      # DAY 8 #

Let's start with couple of hands to remind me later that in the long run results will show how good/bad I am. One day your sets can be crushed by draws, but you know that the day will come when you'll hit draws or get some action like this:

BTN: $5.10 (102 bb)
      SB: $5.59 (111.8 bb)
      BB: $8.24 (164.8 bb)
      Hero (UTG): $5.07 (101.4 bb)
      MP: $5.28 (105.6 bb)
      CO: $5.70 (114 bb)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q Q
      Hero raises to $0.15, 4 folds, BB calls $0.10

Flop: ($0.32) 9 7 3 (2 players)
      BB bets $0.30, Hero calls $0.30

Turn: ($0.92) Q (2 players)
      BB bets $0.70, Hero raises to $2, BB raises to $3.30, Hero raises to $4.62 and is all-in, BB calls $1.32

River: ($10.16) J (2 players, 1 is all-in)

Results:
      $10.16 pot ($0.42 rake)
      Final Board: 9 7 3 Q J
      BB showed 3 3 and lost (-$5.07 net)
      Hero showed Q Q and won $9.74 ($4.67 net)

###

BTN: $7.08 (141.6 bb)
      SB: $5.29 (105.8 bb)
      BB: $2.50 (50 bb)
      UTG: $10.19 (203.8 bb)
      MP: $5.07 (101.4 bb)
      Hero (CO): $5.74 (114.8 bb)

Preflop: Hero is CO with J A
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.15, BTN calls $0.15, SB calls $0.13, BB calls $0.10

Flop: ($0.60) 8 9 A (4 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets $0.36, BTN calls $0.36, 2 folds

Turn: ($1.32) J (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.90, BTN calls $0.90

River: ($3.12) J (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.75, BTN raises to $5.67 and is all-in, Hero calls $2.58 and is all-in

Results:
      $11.78 pot ($0.49 rake)
      Final Board: 8 9 A J J
      BTN showed T Q and won $0.00 (-$5.74 net)
      Hero showed J A and won $11.29 ($5.55 net)

Had a good run today! :f_cool:

Hit 10k hands this month, would like to post first graph but since I'm not looking at my results, will do it on Sunday.

And couple of notes for the future:

-> One pair hands (yes, TPTK also) are no good vs. raise on the turn;
      -> Nitty looking guy after 100 hands won't always show you 99+, AK when he calls 3bet.
    • koosMaras
      koosMaras
      Bronze
      # DAY 9 #

Suspecting second winning day in a row. Feels good :f_cool: Didn't have tough spots today, caught some nice fish: guy hits a 6 on flop with 56o in 3bet pot and gives away his stack to my rockets. So no tough decisions when you get called down like that.

Feeling more comfortable, doing right things faster in each session. That's why decided to add another table next week - some serious grinding incoming! Not much else to say. Top priority goal for tomorrow's review - 3bet pots w/o showdown. Started 3bet bluffing preflop more frequently so need to check how's it going.
    • koosMaras
      koosMaras
      Bronze
      # DAY 10 #

Had a free day on Friday. Was a good day to relax and have some fun. Came to the tables Saturday, full of desire to crush though had to close my session really early because of some unexpected things happening around. Hope Sunday's session will be long and nice.
    • koosMaras
      koosMaras
      Bronze
      # DAY 11 & DAY 12 #

Yesterday: started with some nice pots, was doing okay for most of the time, no big mistakes, though got beaten in few big pots by heavy underdog hand in the end, closed my tables and went to sleep. Well, doesn't matter how sad or mad I am, still have to write something down here after session.

Today went better results wise, though made more and bigger mistakes. Most of them are related with my non-showdown winnings. I mean, I don't expect to have positive non-showdown winnings but I'm clearly losing to much there. I'm happy with my preflop game except couple of stupid decisions today, also my showdown stats are nice. I'm mostly concerned about flop/turn game, which I think is weak. So this week will try to improve myself there.

And here's my not really nice graph. Kinda sad that never struggled like this at NL5 before when I'm put more efforts than ever into learning.

Hope we can all laugh at this graph after I post my next one.
    • koosMaras
      koosMaras
      Bronze
      # DAY 13 #

After a week not looking at results, decided that it doesn't change much. I'm sure everyone can feel if they're winning or losing. So I will check the numbers after each session but not during the game. I feel like seeing exact numbers make some kind of psychological pressure to at least end up break even if I'm losing and not finish session with less when I'm winning. Now it's most important to focus on small things, try to eliminate mistakes, do not repeat bad decisions that I made yesterday or last week. From now on it should be like this:
      Session -> Green/Red numbers, move on -> Review, learning etc. -> Session -> Green/Red numbers, move on -> Review..
      Spot some tendencies from regs/fishes etc. Find out how to make profit from it. Abuse it! Did it work?:
      -Yes? Abuse it more!
      -No? Why?
      I must master the basics while price of a mistake is low. I will take notebook with pen or open notepad and write down things I struggle with and try to solve it after. I want to see consistency, I'm tired of a game - c game - b game - d game days.

As for today I caught myself often not paying attention to opponent's stack, type of players posting the blinds, type of player OTB. Also need to make some calculations with equilab when playing AK vs different stack sizes and possible ranges.

Also biggest pot today:

BTN: $8.86 (177.2 bb)
      SB: $3.39 (67.8 bb)
      Hero (BB): $5 (100 bb)
      UTG: $1.50 (30 bb)
      MP: $5.46 (109.2 bb)
      CO: $5.12 (102.4 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K K
      UTG raises to $1.50 and is all-in, 2 folds, BTN calls $1.50, SB folds, Hero raises to $5 and is all-in, BTN calls $3.50

Flop: ($11.52) 5 3 A (3 players, 2 are all-in)
      Turn: ($11.52) 5 (3 players, 2 are all-in)
      River: ($11.52) 8 (3 players, 2 are all-in)

Results:
      $11.52 pot ($0.48 rake)
      Final Board: 5 3 A 5 8
      BTN showed J J and lost (-$5 net)
      Hero showed K K and won $11.04 ($6.04 net)
      UTG showed 7 7 and lost (-$1.50 net)
    • koosMaras
      koosMaras
      Bronze
      # DAY 14 #

Had a nice session from two parts with pleno's coaching in between. Really like his coachings. Didn't have time for session review today, but it's not a big problem, have plenty of time to review two days tomorrow. Really need to set a daily schedule, because I keep wasting my time during the day. If I managed my time correctly, could've have pulled off 1 or 1,5 hour for session review...

And biggest pot today:

BTN: $2.36 (47.2 bb)
      Hero (SB): $5 (100 bb)
      BB: $1.51 (30.2 bb)
      UTG: $10.32 (206.4 bb)
      MP: $10.38 (207.6 bb)
      CO: $2.45 (49 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A A
      UTG folds, MP raises to $0.15, 2 folds, Hero raises to $0.50, BB folds, MP raises to $9.85, Hero calls $4.50 and is all-in

Flop: ($10.05) 7 Q J (2 players, 1 is all-in)
      Turn: ($10.05) Q (2 players, 1 is all-in)
      River: ($10.05) T (2 players, 1 is all-in)

Results:
      $10.05 pot ($0.42 rake)
      Final Board: 7 Q J Q T
      Hero showed A A and lost (-$5 net)
      MP showed A K and won $9.63 ($4.63 net)
    • koosMaras
      koosMaras
      Bronze
      # DAY 15 #

After pleno's coaching session last night had some ideas about my preflop game. So today after going through yesterday's hands and watching mbml's 'Constructing Preflop Ranges' made a conclusion that I fold playable hands vs RFI from EP/MP, basically giving them stronger range than I should. So today added RFI stat to my HUD and called or made 3bets more frequently than usualy. It surprised me how much folds were made. From what I've seen regs open 22+, AJs+, KJs+, QJs, AJo+, KQo (11,3%; #150); call 3bet with QQ-99, AK, AQs (3,32%; #44); 4bets KK-AA (#12); fold the rest (#94). So 3betting hands like K9s, Q9s, QTs etc. seems profitable to me since I block their calling range and force to fold pairs, combos that dominate me. Anyway, it was my first session where my non-showdown winnings line went flat until this hand:

BTN: $11.94 (238.8 bb)
      SB: $3.44 (68.8 bb)
      BB: $3.12 (62.4 bb)
      UTG: $8.53 (170.6 bb)
      Hero (MP): $6.32 (126.4 bb)
      CO: $5.52 (110.4 bb)

Preflop: Hero is MP with Q Q
      UTG folds, Hero raises to $0.15, CO calls $0.15, BTN calls $0.15, 2 folds

Flop: ($0.52) 7 4 5 (3 players)
      Hero bets $0.36, CO folds, BTN calls $0.36

Turn: ($1.24) Q (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.90, BTN calls $0.90

River: ($3.04) K (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.40, BTN raises to $3.45, Hero folds

Results:
      $5.84 pot ($0.24 rake)
      Final Board: 7 4 5 Q K
      BTN mucked and won $5.60 ($2.79 net)
      Hero mucked Q Q and lost (-$2.81 net)

Will certainly review hands vs RFI from EP/MP but gotta feel happy that something worked out #justpositivethingy heh. Thinking about poker more than ever. Tommorow I'm planning to do this:
      -> watch 'How to do a session review' by BogdanPS. Feel like I'm not doing enough;
      -> review showdown hands;
      -> review hands vs EP/MP RFI;
      -> ... will come up with something after watching video/during review. If not, will just filter non-showdown hands and go through them.
      -> non poker related - get a haircut!
    • koosMaras
      koosMaras
      Bronze
      # DAY 16 #

Feeling tired today, can't concentrate 100% I would say not even 75%. Stopped my session early. Reached 20k hands this month. Not planning to do a free day, actually Saturday and Sunday should be grinding mode: ON.

Not much to say about today's session. Well, tried to defend my big blind more than usual but since didn't play a lot of hands have almost nothing to analyse.

Time to chill a bit. Hope everyone's having nice friday night :)
    • koosMaras
      koosMaras
      Bronze
      # DAY 17 #

2,5k hands, best day volume and results wise :f_cool: Today's game in few words: play good, run good. Playing like this I can make a shot at NL10 next week. Made some adjustments with preflop ranges, getting my red line more lovely. Of course major part of my winning are coming from showdown and I should thank these guys:

BTN: $5.96 (119.2 bb)
      Hero (SB): $6.93 (138.6 bb)
      BB: $7.23 (144.6 bb)
      UTG: $4.68 (93.6 bb)
      MP: $4.95 (99 bb)
      CO: $5.43 (108.6 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q Q
      3 folds, BTN raises to $0.15, Hero raises to $0.45, BB folds, BTN calls $0.30

Flop: ($0.95) 7 2 3 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.70, BTN calls $0.70

Turn: ($2.35) 8 (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.80, BTN raises to $4.81, Hero calls $3.01

River: ($11.97) Q (2 players)

Results:
      $11.97 pot ($0.50 rake)
      Final Board: 7 2 3 8 Q
      BTN showed 7 6 and lost (-$5.96 net)
      Hero showed Q Q and won $11.47 ($5.51 net)

Hero (BTN): $5.05 (101 bb)
      SB: $5.10 (102 bb)
      BB: $9.17 (183.4 bb)
      UTG: $11.88 (237.6 bb)
      MP: $7.96 (159.2 bb)
      CO: $4.97 (99.4 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with K 6
      3 folds, Hero raises to $0.12, SB folds, BB calls $0.07

Flop: ($0.26) 7 Q J (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.16, BB calls $0.16

Turn: ($0.58) 5 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.45, BB raises to $1, Hero calls $0.55

River: ($2.58) K (2 players)
      BB bets $1.40, Hero raises to $3.77 and is all-in, BB calls $2.37

Results:
      $10.12 pot ($0.42 rake)
      Final Board: 7 Q J 5 K
      Hero showed K 6 and won $9.70 ($4.65 net)
      BB showed K 4 and lost (-$5.05 net)

BTN: $4.88 (97.6 bb)
      SB: $5.76 (115.2 bb)
      Hero (BB): $5.05 (101 bb)
      UTG: $5.25 (105 bb)
      MP: $12.85 (257 bb)
      CO: $1.99 (39.8 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K K
      3 folds, BTN raises to $0.17, SB folds, Hero raises to $0.55, BTN calls $0.38

Flop: ($1.12) 8 4 2 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.55, BTN raises to $3.25, Hero raises to $4.50, BTN calls $1.08 and is all-in

Turn: ($9.78) 5 (2 players, 1 is all-in)
      River: ($9.78) 9 (2 players, 1 is all-in)

Results:
      $9.78 pot ($0.41 rake)
      Final Board: 8 4 2 5 9
      BTN mucked 9 K and lost (-$4.88 net)
      Hero showed K K and won $9.37 ($4.49 net)

Have a bunch of hands to review tomorrow, didn't complete everything I had planned to review today. Just need to keep improving. This time I'll be able to reach unknown waters :s_biggrin: