What to do when the opponent is disconnnected in HU

• 26 replies
    • OoT4NKoO
      OoT4NKoO
      Bronze
      Raise, raise and raise. It may not be "ethical"; however, I doubt you play poker to be ethical...
    • qaz87
      qaz87
      Bronze
      Never crossed my mind to check it down till he's back.
      More likely the race begins when someone sit's out :tongue:
    • godfather2007
      godfather2007
      Bronze
      Originally posted by OoT4NKoO
      I doubt you play poker to be ethical...
      Why shouldn't ethics apply to us? Are we doing anything illegal or immoral here?
    • OoT4NKoO
      OoT4NKoO
      Bronze
      Originally posted by godfather2007
      Originally posted by OoT4NKoO
      I doubt you play poker to be ethical...
      Why shouldn't ethics apply to us? Are we doing anything illegal or immoral here?
      It depends on what type of person you are really...

I know I would be mashing the raise without remorse.
    • godfather2007
      godfather2007
      Bronze
      I'm not really concerned with how different people deal with this; I see that at the tables myself. I wanna know if there actually is a known agreement in the poker community about this situation.
    • Swish29
      Swish29
      Bronze
      There's no known agreement. And if you feel bad about taking the guy's blinds here are 2 things:

-If everyone takes everyone's blind when they're away it balances in the long run
      -You might be doing a favor to someone that would have taken your blinds mercilessly
    • Hashkan
      Hashkan
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Swish29
      There's no known agreement. And if you feel bad about taking the guy's blinds here are 2 things:

-If everyone takes everyone's blind when they're away it balances in the long run
      -You might be doing a favor to someone that would have n taken your blinds mercilessly
      Lol so then lets come to agreement that if everybody fucks eachothers wifes, it will balance in the long run? hahaha
    • Glopslart
      Glopslart
      Bronze
      You sometimes see this in my 10-man SNGs, both at HU stage and earlier. We raise, no question.

If the victim has been disconnected, his first beef is with the site, for taking his table away and not letting him play. If the disconnection is the fault of his ISP, that's just bad luck.
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Raise, raise, raise, raise, raise, raise, raise, raise, raise, raise, raise, raise.

Oh yeah, and raise :)
    • nsavov
      nsavov
      Silver
      Poker has become much harder these days to pass on an edge like that. Just click the raise button.
      Ofcourse if you play with a buddy/friend or have a propbet then its something different and you are playing probably mostly for the challenge and not for the money, so you would be right to be ethical there.
    • JimC6
      JimC6
      Bronze
      This has happened to me quite a few times and I have went both ways.

On one site where I was a regular player and poster on their forum I felt like I had to wait. Even if I didn't know the opponent I would wait at least a few minutes to see if they were coming back.

Another time when I was playing heads up in an MTT and the opponent had been abusing in the chat for over after he sucked out on me! He got disconnected and I was like the Usain Bolt of mouse clicking. He eventually came back with 2-3 BBs left and the abuse was priceless.
    • ragney
      ragney
      Bronze
      bet raise bet
    • BarryCarter
      BarryCarter
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      I've always been a 'it's their fault for not preparing properly with an adequate internet connection' mindset and pretty much always just bet bet bet. The sucky thing is I have still managed to lose a couple where I had my opponent down to a couple of blinds.

At the very high stakes, there is something of a code for this sort of thing, not to do it.
    • satishvasoya
      satishvasoya
      Bronze
      remember a HU highroller mtt where 0human0 sat out coz his opponent was disconnected and gave him time to reconnect..
    • MikesekCZE
      MikesekCZE
      Bronze
      I can see high stakes ballers waiting for their opponent to come back, because they all know each other and stuff...,
      but at micros? I am raising as fast as possible :)
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      This is an interesting question, never really considered it too much. If they disconnect vs me I tend to just ask the question, "would I expect to see my money if I disconnected?" if the answer is no then easy game. The answer only tends to be yes when I'm playing against somebody I actually know.
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DrDunne
      If they disconnect vs me I tend to just ask the question, "would I expect to see my money if I disconnected?" if the answer is no then easy game.
      ^^ this

Well I was thinking. If you disconnect do you expect the villain to wait for you? I don't think so so why would you...

Regards

RasTweet
    • tommygecko
      tommygecko
      Bronze
      normally i smile and keep raising as fast as I can :D

If it's the FT of wcoop ME for example, where thousands are watching... I'm not so sure :D
    • Buhas
      Buhas
      Bronze
      keep raising