BISH, BASH, BOSH...Moving up with Bierbaer!

• OoT4NKoO
      OoT4NKoO
      Bronze
      Good morning,

I am Tank (rugby nickname), I am 25 and from the UK. I have had a bit of a break from the big bad world of poker to concentrate on other things going on in my life, but now I have all that under control I can start ploughing some real time into poker and studying. I've been a recreational player and thought I was break-even but it would appear that I am in fact a loser, however, things are about to change! I have been talking to Bierbaer and will be signing up to some coaching! I feel 100% committed to this my life is going pretty good at the moment and I am in a positive frame of mind!

I haven't got off to the best start losing a few BI's at NL10 but I am not worried about that, I was quite happy with my stats and play just got a bit spewy when I didn't have a postflop plan and made a couple of hero calls; oh well, it's another part of realising I need to stop being a wanker when it comes to poker!

Plans for today...
      • Read 2 articles on postflop play.
      • Watch videos relating to the above
      • Find an article on ranges ready for tomorrow
      • Book in my first session with Bierbaer
      • Play 1200 hands
      • Pick 5 hands for review, ready to post tomorrow
      • Make time to read my daughter a bedtime story
      Hopefully I can nail all of them after work!

I've also enjoy bodybuilding and playing golf; these will also feature in blog, so apologies if you find either of these boring :D

Hope you enjoy my journey!
  • 3 replies
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      Hey Oot4NKoO,

Looks like this will be a pretty interesting blog! I think it's a good idea you decided to get yourself a coach. I'm getting coached as well at the moment, and it has changed my game a ton already, and certainly in a good way.

Good luck with the blog and coaching, hopefully we'll see some good results soon :f_thumbsup:

Kind regards,
      Tino
    • OoT4NKoO
      OoT4NKoO
      Bronze
      Originally posted by TinoLaan
      Hey Oot4NKoO,

Looks like this will be a pretty interesting blog! I think it's a good idea you decided to get yourself a coach. I'm getting coached as well at the moment, and it has changed my game a ton already, and certainly in a good way.

Good luck with the blog and coaching, hopefully we'll see some good results soon :f_thumbsup:

Kind regards,
      Tino
      Hi Tino,

I have just been reading your blog, seems like you are on your way up! Might see you at the tables.

I am sat at work now wanting to get home to do some grinding! I have no other plans tonight, my evening meals are already made; 2 rounds of cold chicken and rice...the joys of bodybuilding! The misses and little one aren't back until 8pm and I'm hoping they'll just crash-out leaving me some quality time to grind and study! I have already done 3 of today's objectives in my lunch break including taking notes and planning tomorrows review of the notes. BOSH!

One of the key things I have been reading about NL10 is to keep things simple, play abc poker and don't over complicate things...Hopefully something I can implement into tonight's session!

I have also been thinking about how to improve mu sessions to stay focused. So far I have come up with staying hydrated, distancing myself away from distractions, getting a stress ball, implementing a session stop loss and take breaks to refocus...Which leads me to the questions; how often do you guys take breaks in your sessions and for how long? and what is your stop/loss strategy for a session?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

T4NK
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      I have just been reading your blog, seems like you are on your way up! Might see you at the tables.
      Yep, I definitely am! Looking forward to seeing you at the tables :)

As for breaks etc, I personally try to play two hours a day. If I play them all in one session, I'll take a short 10-15 minute break after 1 hour, just to get my eyes off the screen for a little bit, allowing me to keep better focus for the next hour. If I play less than two hours though, I don't take a break and just play the entire session in one go.

Personally I don't use a stop loss limit. Mindset is key here, but I can imagine a lot of people have trouble with losing a couple BI in one session, especially after just moving up. I think people generally advocate a 3-4 BI stop loss limit for every session. And this doesn't really apply to just losing sessions, but winnings sessions as well. If you have a big winning session and start to spew because you feel you're unbeatable, you should probably also consider ending your session.

But that's all up to your personal preferences. If you are mentally strong and aren't affected by big losses/winnings in one session, then I don't think you'll need a stop loss. But that's just my opinion.

Staying hydrated is also a good idea imo. I always have a glass of water or something with me when I start a session or when I come back from a break. Sometimes I'll take a red bull as well, but just water or juice or something is probably better. But I'm not much of a lifestyle expert so I may not be the right person to really comment on this :f_biggrin:

Also I agree with keeping things fairly simple. But don't keep it too simple. Playing solid, ABC poker is a great place to start at, but you want to try and become better than the other players at your limit. I've played NL10 myself until approximately 2 weeks ago, and most of the regs are just exchanging rake.

Almost all regs at NL10 (and NL25 for that matter) are incredibly straightforward, and therefore pretty easy to play against if you know how to exploit them. But that's something that'll come with time as well. I agree that focusing on a good foundation is a good place to start. However, try to get that extra edge over the regs soon, otherwise you'll just be another one of those regs that's just exchanging rake with the other regs (in the long run).

/wall of text :f_biggrin: