From $0.12 to $82 in three days

• Berzerger
      Berzerger
      Bronze
      Hi guys,

For those who may recognize me, I'm one of those guys who blundered away his starting capital in a few weeks by (surprise surprise) terrible play, which I used to refer to as a downswing. Due to insufficient amount of money to even sit down at any micro limit table, I played freerolls for the longest time. Didn't get far in the beginning though, but little by little I started understanding the principle of MTT, and protecting my chips rather than trying to accumulate as many as possible.

When I came second in the 4kingpoker freeroll on Titan, I tried strict SSS in FR cash games for a while, but I found myself bluffing one bit too much, and eventually losing money despite seemingly correct play. But I received a bonus, resetting my losses, which unfortunately made me think I hadn't lost any money due to poor play, and so I continued raising with A9o from MP like I did before, which eventually cost me my entire bankroll, leaving me with nothing but... 12 cents. And that's when the SNG adventure had begun, namely three days ago.

I really didn't want to wait for the next freeroll, so I just picked out the first table that had 0.10+0.02 next to it and sat down with a mindset like "if I'm going down, I'm going down in flames!" So I played aggressively, pushed people around a lot and, eventually, won. With my winnings, I got motivated (or rather a bit less demotivated) and decided to try again. However, the second time my aggressive strategy didn't prove itself, and I lost almost all my chips. Luckily, I laid low and let the opponents finish each other off, coming in second after all.

More SNGs followed until I collected $3 and moved on to 0.20+0.04, the game was basically the same, only with slightly more money at stake. I tried out a few techniques, took a few on the chin, but won or cashed in most of the games. My winnings now are more stable, and I lose much less because of a different approach to the game. I just recently moved up to $5+0.50 buy-in, 10 or 6-handed, depending on how lucky I feel. The last win (6-handed) brought me $21. Although it isn't much, it's the most I've ever won with poker in my life, so that really sent my spirits aloft, just when I was ready to give up on poker.

Well, that's it, I just needed to type that off my mind. Thanks for reading my endless mumblings.
  • 4 replies
    • miskokvo
      miskokvo
      Bronze
      good job :) but be avere of downswing coz it is probably near :)
    • 1seednoir1
      1seednoir1
      Bronze
      nice...

concerning the BANKROLL MANAGEMENT... go to 2$buy in SNG... at least that way ur 82$ won't turn to 0.82$ again...
      If you like taking risk to win ... u can play one 5$buy in sng per day at the the moment you feel the luckiest :)

by the way this post must be done at the "our successes" part of the forum!!!
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      Hi Berzerger,

In order to play SSS you need to be very strict and patient, and SSS will teach you this. It seems you dont have the patience for it. Which is a problem. If you dont have patience or a strict frame of mind, then you wont last long.

Again you are playing the $5 SnG's, which is way out of your BRM. If you dont use BRM you will go broke.

Congrats on your recent wins, but please take in what's been said.

I also moved your thread to the success area of the forum.

Goodluck,
      Stiev
    • Berzerger
      Berzerger
      Bronze
      Thanks for the tips everyone, I'll do my best to improve my game more.

Originally posted by cannell555In order to play SSS you need to be very strict and patient, and SSS will teach you this. It seems you dont have the patience for it. Which is a problem. If you dont have patience or a strict frame of mind, then you wont last long.
      Yes, I've noticed that. I'm a little more familiar with SSS now, but I probably won't start playing it until I accumulate about $150 playing SNGs as I feel I'm more familiar with them. Patience and tilt resistance are the two things I'm working on right now. For example, I no longer make new holes in the wall after losing a big hand.

Originally posted by cannell555Again you are playing the $5 SnG's, which is way out of your BRM. If you dont use BRM you will go broke.
      I think I put it the wrong way. I still play $2 SNGs, but I also started occasionally playing $5 ones, especially double-ups where you get your buy-in back double if you place in the top 5, which is relatively easy since people constantly try to knock each other out by all means.

Originally posted by cannell555I also moved your thread to the success area of the forum.
      Thanks, I wasn't quite sure where to post it, so I just went for the SNG forum.