blockered

• munkey7
      munkey7
      Bronze
      I don't understand the concept behind blockers, like you should be 3bet/folding hands with Ace or King blockers alot. But what if your opponent has Ace or King, then you are going to lose to a better kicker if called when there is Ace or King on flop no?? Can someone give me a few examples to better explain this.
  • 4 replies
    • legand73
      legand73
      Bronze
      Hey munkey

I'll give you a brief overview until someone a lot more adept comes along. The reasoning for 3betting say Ax blockers as a bluff is because it reduces the amount of Ace combos that villain can have in his hand .

for example if you 3bet a hand like A :heart: x :heart: instead of villain being able to have 6 combos of AA and 16 combos of AK he now can only have 3 combos of AA and 12 combos of AK. you effectively cut his value combos by like 30% by 3betting Ax blockers same with Kx (in this oversimplified example) . Now a hand like KJo as a bluff 3bet blocks AK KK JJ AJ so you can see how valuable these types of hands are in 3bet bluff ranges.

you're right that if you do hit you have to be careful that you are often times out kicked but the reason that you 3bet them in the first place was as a bluff so it doesn't make sense to go crazy if you do hit top pair.

Hope this helped.
    • Alan883
      Alan883
      Bronze
      Hello munkey7,

i am not SNG expert but the blockers concept applies in Cash game also. The principle behind this is pretty simple.

If you have A or K or any other card there is less possibility that your opponent holds the same card as well.

So if you hold an ace there are just 3 aces left in the deck and not 4 anymore. So it is less possible that your opponent holds ace as well.

I hope that makes sense.
    • Alan883
      Alan883
      Bronze
      legand73 was faster and made better post. I am beaten :f_cry:
    • munkey7
      munkey7
      Bronze
      Thank you it does makes more sense now