This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

EV -vs- Pwnage

• poompah
      poompah
      Bronze
      This is probably a question that has been asked before -- so if anyone knows please redirect me to the relevant thread.

We have KK in the BB and 3bet a LAG who has raised in the CO.

LAG has positional PFR of 30% and calls about 50% of the time to a 3bet.
      His/her/its calling range will be something like A8s+,ATo+,44+, 76+,all sooted broadways,KQo,QJo,JTo (or fairly similar).
      He/she/it is capable of making moves on scary boards.

Flop: AA2

Equilab says we have EV of around 70% -- the precise value depends on just how many Aces LAG calls with -- everything else we are miles ahead of.

Remove AA/KK/AK from his range as he 4bets/shoves these PF -- our EV is now 75%.

Given that we only get value from worse pairs, and are crushed by all his Aces (and he never folds those, clearly) -- what should we do here?

Check-calling can get him to bet his (worse) PP -- but also his Aces with impunity.
      Check-raising looks dumb and gets us pot-committed is a horrible spot.
      Given he will call a cbet with a lot of his hands, including his Aces -- we are merely postponing a tough decision 1 street.

Thoughts on this appreciated -- because I am lost for a viable strategy bar check-fold (wait for a better spot) or open-shove (take an EV-based action but one which gets folds from all worse and calls from all better, bar perhaps QQ-TT).

And...
      Same problem but with JJ -- we have 65% EV -- but is it really any different?
  • 1 reply
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      first off, this is a much better flop than A22. in any case, what to do is rly opponent dependant.

against someone who i perceive as a LAG i'm probably not folding, but even then it'd still depend of how much he folds/how much he floats.
      all lines are possible, you can c/c for stacks (let him spew his stack off with random air), or bet/bet for value (he won't believe you and will call with pp), or bet and c/c turn (catch random backdoor floats)...

his line with pp is probably to just check it down and realize sd value, maybe just fire a small protection bet on the flop in order to make you fold broadways.
      that is also a point in as to why KK is better than JJ - with KK you aren't afraid of any overcards coming in the next streets.