what gets tilt on? duration of your tilt?

• tonyzer
      tonyzer
      Bronze
      what gets you on tilt
      A: Bad beat ?
      B: when you make a horrible play?
      C: non poker things?

and how long does it last? do you fnish for the night/day? or just an hours break?

personally i get tilted when i play like a donk.. bad beats dont really bother me that mutch... sometimes its many factors combined... tilt for me ends next day always almost.. and many times in an hour or two but am currently learning to overcome it ASAP and im not really doing it yet...
  • 10 replies
    • maheepsangari
      maheepsangari
      Gold
      It can be a mixture of all these factors and a any of these individual factors alone can also fuck it up for me.

One thing I am sure off though, probability of me tilting is inversely proportional to my bankroll size.
    • Alan883
      Alan883
      Bronze
      I am not tilted that often but when i am i loose one more stack and then log off immediately :f_biggrin:

I have specific situation that makes me tilted:) . Example:

I have A :spade: A :heart: .
      Flop: K :heart: 9 :club: 7 :club: Turn: 2 :club: River J :club:

I bet flop i bet turn and then we have nice river and are oop.

I am still calm when this happens for the first time in session. When it happens for the second time....

• arthurbentley
      arthurbentley
      Silver
      I usually get tilted when if I get felted by a succession of bad beats. I tend to 'tighten my belt', when this happens, rather than raising and re-raising with trash hands like some players on tilt do. After a short while, I tell myself that I got my money in with good equity, and that I should be glad that I got a customer. Although after a horrible session of losing with pocket Aces, Kings, and Queens several times it can take a while for me to think of the bigger picture and not be so results oriented. But I guess I am not alone in this aspect of the mental game of poker.

I will also say that maniacs can get right under my skin; more so when they spike two-pair, or runner-runner on the river while I am holding tptk on flop, or better. They really do wind-me-up and I usually sit-out and do something else to cool off. Rather than get into an aggro war with them and get felted all over again
    • maheepsangari
      maheepsangari
      Gold
      Originally posted by Alan883
      I am not tilted that often but when i am i loose one more stack and then log off immediately :f_biggrin:

I have specific situation that makes me tilted:) . Example:

I have A :spade: A :heart: .
      Flop: K :heart: 9 :club: 7 :club: Turn: 2 :club: River J :club:

I bet flop i bet turn and then we have nice river and are oop.

I am still calm when this happens for the first time in session. When it happens for the second time....

Easy solution for you, stop playing on jokerstars and you'll stop seeing such rivers.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by tonyzer
      what gets you on tilt

and how long does it last? do you fnish for the night/day? or just an hours break?

personally i get tilted when i play like a donk.. bad beats dont really bother me that mutch... sometimes its many factors combined... tilt for me ends next day always almost.. and many times in an hour or two but am currently learning to overcome it ASAP and im not really doing it yet...
      Hi, tonyzer...
      Different people have different things that set them on tilt.

The trick is to learn your own signs -- which you appear to have done.
      You say that you get tilted when you play like a donk. Fair enough.
      But why were you playing foolishly?

Make sure that you :
        Are well rested.
        Properly nourished
        Have had enough water.
        Have prepared well for your session.

I suggest that you keep a list of your tilt signs.
      Review it before each session, so that you can be prepared NOT to do those mistakes. (My big one is calling river bets when I know I'm going to lose)

When you catch yourself making one of your flagged mistakes, mark the hand and continue or just stop.

Post the hand for review -- EVEN IF YOU WON IT.

At the end of each session, review all of the marked hands and record your thoughts and feelings about your mental state.

Reviewing these "mental game" notes is helpful as part of your session preparation.

Best of luck,
      --VS
    • ragney
      ragney
      Bronze
      what gets you on tilt

Used to be A + B. Now its just B: when I make a bad play. Tilt usually last 10-15 seconds because I will review it in detail later anyway. Massive bad beats (like losing 9 out of the 10 times AK<<AQ) makes me mad as well but its also gone within 15-30 seconds. Just have to "reset" my mind and keep making the best decisions.
    • acerbikas
      acerbikas
      Bronze
      I developed the so-called entitlement tilt, having played my way through cash games the past few weeks. I feel like I should be winning more often than I do and when I get on a downswingish day, I become slightly depressed and start looking for flaws in my game. Although they are there, but rather few and far between and once the onset retracts, I get back to gaming normally. The problem is if it lasts it tilts me to even open up my HEM summary and see several red sessions EV wise (mainly because lower limit players will float till the river instead of shipping with their 40somethingish equity).
    • hendo2000
      hendo2000
      Bronze
      what gets you on tilt

A) If and only if the play from my opponent was completely unjustified i.e. they call off 40% of their stack with 44 vs my AA and stack me when they flop a set and the rest goes in. If I run my kings into aces or my AK loses to a guy pushing his last 10bb with AQ, while I'll think "Oh come on!" at the time, I don't get tilted because it isn't my opponent's bad play that caused the beat.

B) This is a killer for me lol, often if I bust out after seriously misreading a situation, it'll stay in my head for days afterwards and undoubtedly it affects my game while it's still in my head.
    • JCSeerup
      JCSeerup
      Bronze
      After taking Tommy Angelo's 'Eightfold Path to Poker Enlightenment" I don't really tilt anymore, but during a session I can still get mad about something, but I rarely start spewing my money away because of that.

1. Don't really care about bad beats, if I get a lot during a downswing I get mad, but I think I'm good a controling my emotions.
      2. I get irritated when I make a bad play, but not at all tilted.
      3. The one thing that really can get me mad is when I lose connection during a big hand og if my computer freezes.
    • Cardbender
      Cardbender
      Bronze
      Personal health I found to be an issue.

- Poor sleeping habits, http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-24567412, http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-light-affects-our-sleep/#axzz2iTerJyKQ

- Poor eating habits / exercise, http://www.trueactivist.com/7-natural-brain-foods-for-cognition-and-concentration/ etc..

- Life roll in check?
      - Mid Terms / Final Exams?
      - Bills due?
      - Work Stress?

I found when I didn't take care of my real life chit i tended to tilt more.

I think the biggest thing with tilting is to be able to identify when you are tilting, then you can check yo self!

When I recognize I'm tilting and spewing my roll I cash out half my br, it helps. I'll then go to lower limits due to brm. Still on tilt from 2011 :) , See yah at the tables!

just my 0.02$