Moving from SH to HU question

• Rihard4a
      Rihard4a
      Gold
      Hi community!

I am considering right now moving from SH to HU cash games. However I have little experience in such games. What kind of materials could someone recommend me to start with? Books/Articles/Videos/Forums etc. Any useful information is appreciated. Also what site should I start on? My BR isn't big ($290), so preferably where can I find soft microstakes games?

Kind Regards,

Rihard
  • 11 replies
    • ragney
      ragney
      Bronze
      Start off with husng, your roll isn't good for cash (NL50 is lowest).

Play the turbos first to LEARN the game.
    • WANTEDXXX1
      WANTEDXXX1
      Bronze
      Ipoker you can find NL4 hu cash, but there are awfull rake.
    • ragney
      ragney
      Bronze
      Originally posted by WANTEDXXX1
      Ipoker you can find NL4 hu cash, but there are awfull rake.
      Yeah the rake was like 20% orso @ the big pots :O
    • Rihard4a
      Rihard4a
      Gold
      and what site can start on? also what learning materials are useful? but are the games beatable ipoker despite the rake?
    • booomm
      booomm
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Rihard4a
      and what site can start on? also what learning materials are useful? but are the games beatable ipoker despite the rake?
      rake would be enourmeous no matter what at nl4-50, you will get killed even if you have a considerable edge I guess, I would advice you to build a proper roll playing sh and switch to hu when you hit nl100 to avoid getting butchered by rake.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by booomm
      rake would be enourmeous no matter what at nl4-50, you will get killed even if you have a considerable edge I guess, I would advice you to build a proper roll playing sh and switch to hu when you hit nl100 to avoid getting butchered by rake.
      Good call, booomm

Unless you have a clear edge, or you are playing at stakes where the rake cap is less than or equal to the blinds, you are going to lose.

As an example see the Pokerstars rake chart. From this you can see that below $0.25/$0.50 rake is higher than the blinds.

I once watched a table of FL 5-Card Draw (I can't remember what level) where two players were HU for about half an hour. At the end, they were BOTH down about half they're initial amount.

Just out of curiosity, why do you want to play HU? There is more opportunity when there are four more potential sources of income at the table.

Cheers,
      --VS
    • ragney
      ragney
      Bronze
      ^^HU is one the most profitable variant of poker, if your good skill and mentally wise because even on cash HU, swings of 10-20BI is super std.
    • Rihard4a
      Rihard4a
      Gold
      Thanks for the responses. I will then stay a bit on SH and then once my BR is set to play HU cash, I will switch. Decided to build my roll and save some money on decent coaching. :f_grin:

Originally posted by ragney
      ^^HU is one the most profitable variant of poker, if your good skill and mentally wise because even on cash HU, swings of 10-20BI is super std.
      And this ^.
    • Rihard4a
      Rihard4a
      Gold
      I decided to take a shot at HUSnG on Stars. So far the result -

Is it good? I know small sample..
    • PriscoInline
      PriscoInline
      Bronze
      I believe any positive roi is good in super turbo SNG, something like %5-6 is great, so don't count on keeping thet 26.7 roi for long.
    • ragney
      ragney
      Bronze
      ^yup roi on superturbos is capped at 6-7%, anything higher than that is not possible EV wise.

Decent sample size starts at 5k games minimum