Correct Buy in for NL2 on PS

• nuxia
      Hi everyone,

After a very long break, I have decided to play on Pokerstars again and I would like to start at NL2 again with the Big Stack Strategy, in order to climb up later.

I have roughly 30BI for NL2, which means $60 for 30 x $2 Buy Ins. However, on Pokerstars the microstakes are deep buy ins, meaning you can buy in for 40 to 250BB. Should I be buying in with 100BB throughout this micro until NL10, or should I go for 250BB Buy Ins?

Thanks for your opinion in advanced.
  • 3 replies
    • gadget51
      Hi nuxia and welcome back to poker. :)

My own opinion is that if you've had a lengthy break, buy in for 100bb which is the standard for big Stack Strategy, then play until you get back into the swing of things.
      Even after a break you will probably find the level of play at nl2 is much the same as before, but of course that will depend on your ability as well.

You could join the Beginners Course (click the link at the bottom of this post) and make sure you post hands in the hand evaluation forums here:

To begin with and to get you back on track, I highly recommend this page:

If you can't remember how to do something if it's been too long or you need help further, just ask!

Best regards and have fun,

• DrDunne
      Hey nuxia!

+1 to what gadget said.

It sounds like you will be new to the BSS so it definitely makes sense just to buy in for 100bb. Playing deep stacked actually involves somewhat of a different strategy and a higher skill edge, and while it wouldn't be a completely different game, it will be best to learn solid 100bb play first.

You should look into joining the beginner's course as gadget suggested, and you should definitely post hands for evaluation - this is a very valuable service!

Gl in your journey at nl2!

• nuxia
      Thanks for the tips guys!
      I agree, makes sense to start with 100BB's first!