10NL or 5NL

• maca1214
      maca1214
      Bronze
      Was playing 5nl for a few k hnds with 10 buy ins fairly comoftable.
      But I need higher action so i deposited more money to play 10NL.

I'm still underolled slightly for 10NL but again im comfortable enough and i can deposit a lil more if i run bad.

But im just wondering would i be better off playing 5nl on starts buying in for 200
      blinds instead seeing the rake is the same and the blinds are less.

The only disadvnatage i see is poeple may be less inclind to stack off at 5nl with 200 bigs than a 10NL reg with 100.

thoughts please people?
  • 36 replies
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Hey Maca!

I just moved your thread.

Imo just play nl5 until you have a nl10 bankroll. I always stick to my BRM! It's important if you don't want to bust your roll.

And it's normal that people don't stack off easily with 200bb. Eventhough it's the same amount of money it's 200bb and not 100bb. It's a big difference.

Best regards

RasTweet
    • maca1214
      maca1214
      Bronze
      ive played 358 thus far and i am up 10 bucks. and im not finding 10nl any harder than 5nl. my roll is 116 dollars. my plan is if i lose 5 buyins ill move back down or if the lossess are coolers ill redosit to make it 200 and take another shot. i think thats a good strategy.

also. im way more fcussed when i play 10nl because i take it more seriously where i sometimes make bad calls because i get a little careless at 5nl and i dont really have the patience to build a roll from 5nl.

but im think if i buy into 5nl with 200 bigs i too would take it as serious.

maybe ill mix both and see how that goes/
      cheers
    • OoT4NKoO
      OoT4NKoO
      Bronze
      Why don't you try playing 30000-40000k hands @ NL5 then check out where you are at...

To be honest I used to flutter between levels that I wasn't rolled for and maybe of had short term success but never maintained it, the main stumbling block I came across that without proper BRM I was always scared money at a higher level and this was definitely -EV for me.

It's ultimately your choice and I see where you are coming from but you need to learn to focus on whatever stake it is IMO, if you don't have focus you might not ever make it up the limits.

Good luck either way mate.
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi maca1214,

Well here's a couple of things to thing about.

#1: 358 hands. If you ask the guys on here how you are doing, they will laugh at you until you get to about 100K hands; not bnecause you are stupid, but because you need a larger amount of hands to assess whether you are doing ok or not. It takes a looooong time to get any sort of patten to emerge in this game.

#2 '...I'm way more focused playing nl10 because...'

Scared money. :) You are more focused because you're scared of losing the pot, because it is a bigger amount of money and your bankroll is too small to play like that given your ability at that limit. I think you know this. :)

#3 Take it serious every time, I mean...every time! If you don't and they do, guess what happens? Right, so never ever go that way. :)

#4 $116 and asking thesed questions, AAAArrrhgh!

Please, please, play nl2, take the Beginners Course (link at bottom of this post...please!!!):

#4 don't even think about nl10 until at least - at least - $300!

Now you ask questions and post hands and ask questions and post hands....ans ask...get the patttern?

Make sure it's fun ok? I have more if you need it....?

Mal.
    • maca1214
      maca1214
      Bronze
      Originally posted by OoT4NKoO
      Why don't you try playing 30000-40000k hands @ NL5 then check out where you are at...

To be honest I used to flutter between levels that I wasn't rolled for and maybe of had short term success but never maintained it, the main stumbling block I came across that without proper BRM I was always scared money at a higher level and this was definitely -EV for me.

It's ultimately your choice and I see where you are coming from but you need to learn to focus on whatever stake it is IMO, if you don't have focus you might not ever make it up the limits.

Good luck either way mate.
      Ive played 12k hands of 5nl andf beat it for 13bb/100
      I don't mean to come across as cocky but i know i would beat 5nl no prob if i played that amount of hands or at least im confident i would. But I six max and im fairly loose which means im involved in a lot of pots anbd i find it very difficult to multitable 6 max. whereas I've no problem playing a number of tables with more players. but i dont full ring. so it would take me about two months if not more to play that amount of hands. But your advice is good regardless.

Thanks. great forum btw. I'll take my shot, it wont be the end of the world if i lose 5 or 6 buyins and move back down to 5nl.
    • maca1214
      maca1214
      Bronze
      Gadget I think youve confused me with someone who thinks that because I'm winning over a few hands I'm assuming I can beat 10NL no problem. I was merely stating a fact and you jumped the gun. Reread my post above this one please. I can play 2nl in my sleep.

Also I'm not playing on scared money. Im more focused because 5nl pots are too small to interest me.

furthermore you assumed me of being a beginner even though you dont know me or how much poker i have played.
    • OoT4NKoO
      OoT4NKoO
      Bronze
      I admire your tenacity and self belief but I think you had already made up your mind before you made an advice thread...I think you may of made a mistake here; but I hope you prove me wrong, good luck brah!
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      Even if you think you're capable of beating whichever stake you're playing, if you don't have the BR to play the next highest stake, then you shouldn't play it. With $110 or so, you should be playing NL5 tops. If you want to play NL10, you'll want to have $250 at least imo, maybe $200 if you want to use a more aggressive BRM.

If you play NL10 with just $110, you have a very high risk of going broke, even if you're playing well. And even if you move back after losing 5 BI, you'll have $60, which is only 12 BI for NL5. That's also just not enough.

Also, re-depositing after getting coolered is a bad idea imo. It's all about the long term. If you get coolered, then that's just unlucky. But as long as you made the right play, re-depositing won't do you any good. It will only make you move up when you don't really have the BR for the next limit yet.

Plus, if you're willing to re-deposit, then you might as well deposit enough to have an NL10 BR if you feel like that's where you should be.

However, please don't make the mistake of playing too high stakes. That will only hurt you. Maybe you're not a beginner, but not following a proper BRM is a big mistake, even if you're not a beginner!
    • maca1214
      maca1214
      Bronze
      Chris Fergusons BRM goes along the lines of 20 buy in min. That would be 200 bucks for 10NL at least. I understand that. Whether the money is on the poker account or in your bank account, it makes no odds. My only question was; would i be better served playing 5NL buying in for 200 bigs or playing 10NL for a standard 100 blinds. If the rake was lower at 10NL it would be more of no brainer.
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      Whether the money is on the poker account or in your bank account, it makes no odds.
      I am going to have to disagree with this. If you're willing to keep on reloading, then you might as well play NL50 or whatever.

I think it's better to just have a defined amount of money in your account, and then play with that. This a) gives you a much better overview of what you have and how you are rolled, and b) stops you from continuously reloading and spending a lot of money unnecessarily.

As for your question, I'd always choose to buy in for 100bb regardless of the stakes I'm playing. Starting very deep stacked is probably not the best idea imo.
    • maca1214
      maca1214
      Bronze
      I dont mean keep reloading when I lose. Thats silly of course. I mean top up when/if i win so that im adequately rolled as soon as im paid. But i do know good players who play high stakes that have good jobs to back up the variance which works out the same as having their whole roll on the site.
    • scett
      scett
      Bronze
      If you feel like playing higher, dont hold yourself back and do it. If you are a decent winner you dont need more than 10 buyins at these stakes anyway.
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Hey again!

How good are you playing deep stacked? Usually all strategy's are talking about 100bb play. If you have 200bb ppl will be a bit loser preflop but as you said not very happy to get it in. I prefer 100bb.

Regards

RasTweet
    • Hashkan
      Hashkan
      Bronze
      I agree with the moderators.

My take on it.
      Problem is, not everybody buy in for 200 blinds. So even if u buy in for 200 bb, the avarage stack will be 100bb if not less.
      I recommend u to play deep with fish, since they dont have a clue what a BB is, but u will semi rarely find a fish with 200 bb. They buy in for 40bb lol.

U said that u have a problem multi tabling, i can recommend to u fast/rush/zoom poker, 1 table of those = 4 normal tables. 4 = 16. So u dont have to have screens overlapping eachother and such.

GL
    • BradNitt
      BradNitt
      Silver
      Originally posted by maca1214
      . But I six max and im fairly loose which means im involved in a lot of pots anbd i find it very difficult to multitable 6 max.
      the Chance is very high that it is just a matter of time until youre busted with 10 Stacks BRM. no offense
    • Hashkan
      Hashkan
      Bronze
      Originally posted by BradNitt
      Originally posted by maca1214
      . But I six max and im fairly loose which means im involved in a lot of pots anbd i find it very difficult to multitable 6 max.
      the Chance is very high that it is just a matter of time until youre busted with 10 Stacks BRM. no offense
      Hes said it 5 times allready, he dosnt have 10 stacks, he has more on hes credit card.
    • BradNitt
      BradNitt
      Silver

and when he busts cashin 10 stacks again?
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Yes, it seems so. None of our advice was taken despite being asked for it :)
    • maca1214
      maca1214
      Bronze
      Guys I can't believe so many of you don't understand that Poker accounts are not bank accounts. if 3/4 of your roll is on a poker site and the the other quarter is in your bank account it is the exact same time. Exact same thing and I know so many people who aggree.

BRM is vital if that when you lose your roll and cant get the money to play again.
      That's what some of you are only thinking about instead of thinking a little outside the box.
      But That doesnt apply to me. I'm not a pro I'm playing 10NL with a bunch of fish everywhere and up 4 buyins since I started this threrad. If I have a bad day I will lose 4 or 5 buyins in max. Not the 15 I have now and the other 5 in my bank account.
      And again, I only asked about playing 200 deep 5nl vs 10nl. I didn't ask for BRM advice at any time. I understand BRM as much as anyone.

Also, about zoom. I play more hands in a shorter time yes but that doesnt guarantee a higher winrate which i have playing reg tables. The variance is higher too I believe but i prefer reg tables for sure, better reads and just more fun post flop.