SSS Table Selection

• hammiemon85
      hammiemon85
      Bronze
      Besides the obvious, which is to try as much as possible not to play against other shortstacked players, and to make sure we have at least 7 other opponents, what are the other things we should look out for when choosing tables?
  • 19 replies
    • TheBu11d0g
      TheBu11d0g
      Bronze
      When looking for table selection hammiemon try looking for a table with avg pot of around 20-30BB's and a PPR (Player Per Flop) rate of between 25-30%. This is the selection process i use.

Hope this will be of some help.
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      Hi hammiemon85,

I personally would look for a high p/f (players per flop). This, with the factors that you mentioned are the most important IMO. I dont think the average pot size affects SSS players much.

Best regards,
      Stiev
    • teslasecretweapon
      teslasecretweapon
      Bronze
      Well in basic articles talking about table selection no one pointed out PFR% (players per flop), but oly at least 7 players, preferably bigstacks.

Personaly I think that is ( on NL 100 and higher) better to pick tables with couple of middle stacks, becouse they seem to be prety bad players in comparison to bigstacks (not that much fish between bigstacks). Also, its not bad to have position on some SSS player becouse of steals.

But my question is about PRF% factor in chosing a table playing SSS:
      Advantage or disadvantage and if any how big?
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      I use SpadeEye for table selection :) quite handy on FT/Party/AP
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      Originally posted by teslasecretweapon
      Well in basic articles talking about table selection no one pointed out PFR% (players per flop), but oly at least 7 players, preferably bigstacks.

Personaly I think that is ( on NL 100 and higher) better to pick tables with couple of middle stacks, becouse they seem to be prety bad players in comparison to bigstacks (not that much fish between bigstacks). Also, its not bad to have position on some SSS player becouse of steals.

But my question is about PRF% factor in chosing a table playing SSS:
      Advantage or disadvantage and if any how big?
      Hi guys,

PFR = Pre flop raise. This isn't important, and also no poker room lobby's state this.

P/F = Players pre flop, and is important, also poker rooms have this number in the lobby

Best regards,
      Stiev
    • TheBu11d0g
      TheBu11d0g
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Gerv
      I use SpadeEye for table selection :) quite handy on FT/Party/AP
      Hi ya Gerv.

Would you mind if i asked what stats you look for on Spade Eye as i've just downloaded Telescope for PokerStars and could do with some help on what stats to look for table selection.

I'm currently playing NL10 SSS.
    • harleytopper
      harleytopper
      Bronze
      Average VP$IP of players of on table, but be sure you have stats on all (most) players. There may be situation when 3 players have only 3 hands and 100$ VP$IP that will make average value incorrect.
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      I mine with SpadeEye so my Known players % is 60+ so based on that I look for the most loose Tables.

Also I tend to look out for Shortstacked tables, I avoid them ;)
    • hammiemon85
      hammiemon85
      Bronze
      its a very nice tool, unfortunately i don't have the money to pay for it, and the trial is only 7 days.
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Originally posted by hammiemon85
      its a very nice tool, unfortunately i don't have the money to pay for it, and the trial is only 7 days.
      Its a must-have when you rise up the limits as it gives you a big edge ;)
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      man i tried this thing of people per flop and is working, of course it sucks that i get aces and kings beaten at the same time against QT and 66 , but it means this table selection is working :D
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Originally posted by alejandrosh
      man i tried this thing of people per flop and is working, of course it sucks that i get aces and kings beaten at the same time against QT and 66 , but it means this table selection is working :D
      I had my doubts too at first but its based on your own stats/hand histories so if you don't trust it, you won't trust your own database in fact =)
    • davidangel
      davidangel
      Bronze
      haha, of course its working...your aces are getting action from the fish. The AAces will conquer in the long run, dont you worry. I've noticed that sometimes the whole table is tight and if the cards fall big you end up walking away with 25BB and never saw a flop. (happened to me at a table of limpy rocks and TAG players)
      High-players per flop is a must for SSS. They all toss thier dimes in and we shove with Aces.....weeeee, what could be more fun?
      So you look for the high vpip/low RP at the table...you pray for a good hand when they are playing in a pot....and you pounce...ROAR! Like a tiger babay!
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      yes, i understand that's why i'm happy to get shoved by J6o , 95s, 23s and stuff like that, even tho that i'm -5 bi the last 6k hands , that's not a problem , 5 bi will be easy if this continues
    • TTT241
      TTT241
      Bronze
      Hi,

today I was choosing tables by Players per flop and usually tried to choose the tables where number was above 35%.

But actually when I looked in stats later (lost 6 buyins in total) it seems that tables had 15-20% players per flop... so how could I believe PokerStars stats on this?

Regards

TTT
    • davidangel
      davidangel
      Bronze
      The % numbers that the site is showing you are only a guide. Like anything else in our equations there can be variance. You have to watch the players come and go. A maniac or a bunch of loose fish can cause fireworks and spike the numbers. A bunch leave thier seats, and all the players doing the same thing you are (selecting high ppf) jump in the empty seats and start looking for chum. Of course the other sharks are fold or raise, just like you, so the limpy table action can simply go cold.
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      Originally posted by TTT241
      so how could I believe PokerStars stats on this?

Regards

TTT
      you can't) those numbers are quite useless, as they change every 5 minutes)
      for good table selection you need large database and spadeye/telescope.
      good games are those that have high pfr - agressive
      also add all the aggro fishes to the buddylist, they create a profitable environment at the table :)

but you don't need selection untill high limits 600+
      and you don't need selection on 600+, because you will have to play on all available tables :D
      Bronze
      nice answer ;p
    • harleytopper
      harleytopper
      Bronze
      Originally posted by xylere
      but you don't need selection untill high limits 600+
      Totally disagree. Why play tables with 12% average VP$IP when you can find 25% average VP$IP. There is no need for large DB, because fish from tag you can seperate in 15-20 hands. Of course there will be inaccuracy, but it still way better than choose tables blind. Just sit down to table and if it is tight, leave when BB reaches you after 2-3 rounds.