Bet Sizing?!

• nuxia
      nuxia
      Bronze
      Hey guys,

Just wanted to ask, what do you guys recommend is a good post flop bet size? (e.g. C-Bet, etc) I've seen that on the videos and in the tutorials the common bet size first in post-flop is either 2/3 or 3/4 of pot size.

Are there any distinct advantages or disadvantages between the two? Or does it really not matter much, since a person who would call 2/3 bet would most likely call 3/4 bet as well.

Thanks for your opinion in advance :)
  • 3 replies
    • donut10
      donut10
      Bronze
      single raised pots:

Dry boards 1/2 to 2/3 pot

Wet boards 3/4 pot

Multi way 3/4 to PSB

3bet pots

Generally just over half pot

4bet pots

1/3 - 1/2 pot.

Also depends on villian stack sizes ( smaller stack - we can bet on the smaller side) and ranges, position etc

& you don't need to balance betsizing vs fish/ weak players I.e bet 1/2pot vs fish on dry boards as cbet bluff and 2/3pot as value cbet etc.

Only a rough guideline
    • Alan883
      Alan883
      Bronze
      Hello nuxia,

here is my view on bet sizing and i am pretty sure you will get also better answers.

Of course bet sizing is probably one of the most if not the most important thing in poker. The basic question is what do we want to achieve with every single bet. Here are some questions we can ask ourselves?

:diamond: Why do i bet?
      :diamond: Do i bet because i bluff and want better hand to fold. How much do i have to bet to make better hand fold?
      :diamond: Do i bet big for value because i expect opponent holds something he will call with?
      :diamond: Do i bet small because i expect opponent to have weak range and i want some value?

All this factors and many more are important when we decide how much we bet. I will not talk about balancing here but it is also very important on higher limits.

Just wanted to ask, what do you guys recommend is a good post flop bet size? (e.g. C-Bet, etc) I've seen that on the videos and in the tutorials the common bet size first in post-flop is either 2/3 or 3/4 of pot size.

Are there any distinct advantages or disadvantages between the two? Or does it really not matter much, since a person who would call 2/3 bet would most likely call 3/4 bet as well.

So there are not any disadvantages i can say here. Of course if we have better hand and we expect worse hand will call it is better to bet as much as possible. If we expect that villain will call our 3/4pot bet it is of course better to fire such a bet.

On the other hand we expect that we have certain amount of fold equity. Of course we have to bet as little as possible to make villain fold. In this case it is better to bet 2/3 pot (or even less ofc) than 3/4 if we achieve the same goal.

At the lowest limits so for beginners it is recommended to use same bet sizing most of the time because beginners can avoid mistakes by that. Of course you can use different bet sizing in your advantage or it can also cost you a lot when you do it wrongly.

OMG so much text:) I hope you didn't fall asleep and that it makes sense :D
    • nuxia
      nuxia
      Bronze
      Donut10 and Alan883, thank you very much for taking the time to reply me. And don't worry, I love reading things as detailed as possible, and all of this did make sense to me.

I guess for the micro stakes, I will keep most things as simple as possible, unless I feel I can use this to my advantage. And as both of you have already hinted in your posts, when moving up, different bet sizes will become more common, to which I will adapt.

Again, thanks to the both of you! :)