SSS question

• JoJo0606
      JoJo0606
      Bronze
      Lets take this example.

You get dealt AK. You raise and get called by a player with position. Flop misses you. Acording to the strategy you then make a bluff conti bet. You get reraised by the player that called.

Here is my question. Acording to the strategy we have to fold here. But if he only hit 1 pair we still have 24% chance to win and have more then enough pot odds for a call.

So why do we have to fold?
  • 9 replies
    • extpan
      extpan
      Bronze
      Because he can hit set,2 pair,or say call with A9 and flop come 9,2,7 and if you cal you have 3 out...just K....Is not secure that you will win if you even hit you A or K or bouth on turn and river.
    • rbdflyboy
      rbdflyboy
      Bronze
      You do have to fold. There is the risk of getting sucked out if you don't hit. I believe the fold recommendation is to prevent that. I see this senario as someone hitting a set because of the reraise instead of a call. I would consider my options very carefully in this instance.
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      with AK you should try to push first in) 1.5:1 stack:pot ratio is good enough to do it. If not, then you have to fold against passive players and call against aggressive...

Also depends a lot on a board structure

hidden outs, like backdoor, gutshots, paired boards add equity
      also important to know your opponent's semi-bluffing capabilities, when board is drawy
    • DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      What sort of stats would you call a reraise against Xylere? What sort of board would you call a reraise from a LAG opponent or even a float from a LAG opponent rather than just a reraise?
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze
      High Vpip/PFR, at least 15+ and 3+ AF
      Generally, I would call for sure on any QJx, JTx, QTx boards and paired 88x+
      And as I said, on the boards that allow him to semi-bluff - drawy boards. but you preferably need some kind of a read about his semi-bluffing strategy)

I haven't seen a lot of players floating shortstackers, to be honest. But against a reasonable lag i would fold, given that turn card didn't bring additional outs. Against maniacal fishes i might call, however, they would likely donk flop, rather then float.
    • DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      Thanks Xylere, that answer has really helped with my game. This is a spot that i've always found rather tricky myself.

I seem to see a lot of moves which i think could be interpreted as floats when i play but i mostly fold thinking that floating doesn't make sense against shortstacks....
    • davidangel
      davidangel
      Bronze
      You use the term "floating" What does than mean?
    • Velak
      Velak
      Bronze
      Floating is a platinum article, but you should be able to read the intro at any level, which will give you the definition you're looking for.
    • davidangel
      davidangel
      Bronze
      I read the teaser. I have seen this move on TV a few times. I think to myself, you have garbage hand, why the flat call? Then comes the big bluff. I can see why you wouldn't float a shorty, he gets pot commited to easy.
      In order to do this move I would imagine you need to get a good range on your opponent and also know what turn/river cards will scare him... I will wait patiently for platinum level... Hier Kommt, David! :D