The nuts on the flop, weak opponents - what next?

• hammiemon85
      hammiemon85
      Bronze
      How do you maximize your winning if you are on SSS, you got a freeplay on big blind, and u hit the nuts(or very close to ie: Full House, 4 of a kind, straight flush) on the flop.

All you opponents limped, and you have 2-3 of them. How do you play it to maximize winnings? Is slow playing called for in this instance? Do you still make the 2/3 standard bet?
  • 8 replies
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      i check raise when i hit 2 pair or more, since i always check when i don't hit or hit middle pair or something. but that may be one of my biggest leaks.... i'm interested in what good players do here.
    • hammiemon85
      hammiemon85
      Bronze
      any hand judges or pro players with some input?
    • IngolPoker
      IngolPoker
      Black
      bet flop
      bet turn
      bet river
      and dont bet too small

you want to get all in, you wont make that goal if you just check...

if your opponent doesnt have a hand...well, than thats how it is
      bet bet bet for
      a) potbuilding
      b) protection

Be aware that a checkraise might scare you opponent off a hand he would otherwise have called down if you simply bet.
    • delete461
      delete461
      Bronze
      Its probably the wrong thing to do but when I hit the nuts on flop or turn and am extremely unlikely to get drawn out on, I aim to get all my money in the middle on the last betting round - if I hit on flop I bet one third of my stack there, one third on turn and a third on river - if I hit the turn big I bet half and half. This makes opponents much more likely to call these small bets, and often they are pot committed by the turn
    • davidangel
      davidangel
      Bronze
      bet bet and bet more.
      bet big
      bet often
      So they all limp... ask yourself... who am I to know what they hit with limps? You are playing with an absolute trash hand that you normally throw away and there are free BBs in the pot. Maybe the fish thinks he is some kind of limp trapper. Bet 2/3 pot and take the money thats already there, if anyone protests...take more. You are playing bigs hands only, bet with them. If you become known for betting big with big hands, your c-bets work better and you suddenly find yourself on the happy end of AK/AQ blanks.
      BBs are valuable to the SSS player, they keep you at the table longer, you get a read on the fish.... then you hook one and leave. So if you notice any free BBs just laying around and you have a hand, take em. Save the fancy shizz for BSS :D
    • davidangel
      davidangel
      Bronze
      haha, right after I posted on this article I started playing a few tables... no kidding these were the first 2 tables/blinds I played...
      Table #1 BB

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $2.00
      MP3:
      $6.50

0.05/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.60 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with 3:spade: , A:club:
      MP2 folds, MP3 calls $0.10, 3 folds, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0.25) A:heart: , 3:diamond: , A:spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.15, MP3 raises to $0.70, Hero raises to $1.25, MP3 raises to $4.00, Hero calls $0.65, MP3 gets uncalled bet back..

Turn: ($4.05) 6:club:
      River: ($4.05) 8:heart:

Final Pot: $4.05

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows a full-house, aces full of threes (3s Ac)
      MP3 shows two pairs, aces and fives (5h 5d)

Hero wins with a full-house, aces full of threes (3s Ac)

Table #2 SB

Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      Hero:
      $1.90
      BB:
      $11.25
      BU:
      $1.75

0.05/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.60 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is SB with 3:club: , 3:spade:
      6 folds, BU calls $0.10, Hero calls $0.05, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.20) 5:club: , K:diamond: , 3:heart: (3 players)
      Hero bets $0.20, BB raises to $0.40, BU folds, Hero raises to $1.80 (All-In), BB calls $1.40.

Turn: ($3.80) J:spade:
      River: ($3.80) 4:heart:

Final Pot: $3.80

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows three of a kind, threes (3c 3s)
      BB shows two pairs, kings and jacks (Ks Jd)

Hero wins with three of a kind, threes (3c 3s)

Late night happy hour was all the implied odds I needed to complete SB with PP :D
    • IngolPoker
      IngolPoker
      Black
      completing in hand nr. 2 is still a mistake ;)

but nice play postflop :)
    • jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Silver
      Originally posted by IngolPoker
      completing in hand nr. 2 is still a mistake ;)

but nice play postflop :)
      Under the call 20 rule (Which i count as 20 sb in the sb pos.) i would call this in the sb esp if they are loose passive oppenents, really only playing if i hit my set, so being out of position isnt too bad esp. when playing sss.