SnG stats

• Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Hey am a bit annoyed.

Lost 2 2 vs QA and A8 vs K10 in the same game and came in third. Thats how it goes I guess.

My stats since I have been using proper game play:

First 3 times
      Lost 3 times (5th in every loss)
      3rd once

The 5th place made me realize that I am doing some sort of mistake. Maybe I am using push/fold to early on in the game.

When do you guys normally start using it?
  • 7 replies
    • fun101rockets
      fun101rockets
      Bronze
      I start when I have less than 13 big blinds
    • NickParkes
      NickParkes
      Bronze
      Hey Dragar

Basically according to the strategy I start p/f mode when I have less than 13 big blinds... I think most people will agree... One thing that you will find if you play a lot of SNGs is that there is a lot of variance and you will often lose great hands to cards that really should not have been there... in the last couple days I have lost AA to 3 4o, I have lost AK to J2o and all to pushes... point is that you have recorded some wins so you must be doing something right, but you will get knocked out a lot... I would browse through the old threads in thisforum and you will see what I mean... if you want to do well playing SNGs then stick to strict BRM, expect to have sessions where you lose 10-15 BI when you played well... and practise your push/fold with the ICM trainer... it is the most important aspect of your game...

Any best of luck and hope all goes well...

Nick
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Alright.
      Yeah just had one of those losses haha:
      A7 vs a player who goes all in with idiotic hands like 5 6s. Well he called my push with A6 and got trips with 6 right on the flop.

Anyways my BRM isn't that great. I have 33$ playing 1$ SnGs. I should not go broke with this, but still. I don't like sss because the bad beats are really annoying + well yes its profitable.. but it sort of takes the fun away from poker, for me atleast. BSS is alright, but if I make a mistake there I lose big.

Oh and comparing SnGs to sss. Using ICM I am pushing with hands which are supposed to be winning hands. sss I am sort of doing the same, just with even higher winning chance.
      Hence bad beats on both: sss I lose between 1.5-2$, sng I lose 1.25$. sss my profit is between 1.5 - 2$, sng my profit is 3.25$, or 55 cents or 1.15$

Somehow if your good at sng I think those are better to play, plus they aren't boring haha.
    • LuborC
      LuborC
      Bronze
      Hey Dragar,
      I counted up the results you gave in your first post and it makes for roughly 50% ROI (or Return of Investment) which is pretty sick even for the 1$ SNGs I think.
      I guess what I'm trying to say is that you might not do so well in the next couple SNGs you play but don't get frustrated! Practice ICM and stick to the strategy from the articles and you will see your bankroll grow pretty fast..
    • slikec
      slikec
      Global
      Originally posted by Dragar

My stats since I have been using proper game play:

First 3 times
      Lost 3 times (5th in every loss)
      3rd once

I mean this sample size is only 7 :D but really nice one. Nice profit. I can calculate how much you made if it was stars. You invested 7*1,2$=8,4$ and made 3*4,5+1,8=15,3$ So you won 15,3$-8,4$=6,9$/8,4 = ROI 82% :D Pretty sick even for 1$ SNGs. I don't know why you complain lol. If you play well ofcourse most time you bust when you are ahead. I mean i played on Stars sth. like 250 1$ SNG. I am break even :( I stopped playing them since is waste of time for me but for you looks not ;)
    • NickParkes
      NickParkes
      Bronze
      Anyways my BRM isn't that great. I have 33$ playing 1$ SnGs. I should not go broke with this, but still.

33 buy-ins is still OK... what platform are you playing on? when I was playing those limits on itan, if I dropped below 30 BI I would go down to the $0.50+$0.10 games... if you have that option use it... I know some sites don't have the smaller limits though... One thing to bare in mind while grinding away at the lower limits is that this is going to be one of the toughest times in your poker career because:

1) The variance can be intense with a small bankroll... this can also affect your mindset so I highly reccommend reading the articles on tilt that are in the news section... protecting yourself from tilt can be your biggest saving grace at the lower limits...

2) The rake is really high which can make your long term ROI tougher

3) You're going through all of this while still having to learn so much and gaining invaluable experience...

BUT if you want to be a successful poker player this is important to endure because you will learn most of what you need to progress at these levels...

Sorry, been rambling a bit, but I've been through the same things, and it took me a while, but now I have progressed up to the $5 games, and it's great fun...

So good luck, and don't be afraid to ask questions...

Nick
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Yup am doing well with them too right now.

Just finished place 54 out of 3400 in an mtt..... my A6 vs AK.. I lose :( , probably was a bad push. Freaking payout was only 3$.. had to progress further for bigger pay. 4 hours of play and then 3$ haha....

But atleast its telling me that I must be doing something right haha.