Small pps vs Fish

• Evante
      Evante
      Bronze
      small pairs such as 22-55 vs fishes or to be precise Fishes that almost cant fold (fold to cb 20%)

Do you think it is better to just call if they limp or raise them regardles when you are in position?
  • 3 replies
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      I personally don't mind limping behind with 22-55 against fish. Raising can't be a big mistake and is probably going to be +EV, but those small pairs play so poorly that you either have to hit and get paid (which doesn't happen too often), or you have to bluff the fish, which is also pretty tough especially if he's very passive.

So I personally like limping behind. If you miss, you can just give up and lose 1bb. If you hit you can still try to build a pot, though it will be a bit tougher to put stacks in the middle probably.

That said 66+ or 77+ I'm probably just iso-raising because it's just a bit easier to have SD value by the river even if you do miss your set.
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      Originally posted by TinoLaan
      That said 66+ or 77+ I'm probably just iso-raising because it's just a bit easier to have SD value by the river even if you do miss your set.
      Yeah I agree about 66/77+ but I think there can be a strong argument for folding 22-55. The main reasoning is that if we limp behind (which is fine in theory) we can only really do that when we are closing the action or when there are just really passive/tight players behind, otherwise we are unnecessarily investing dead money.

I doubt raising 22-55 will be that +EV if you look into the overall line and how you'll play it postflop. It should be all about your gameplan against that player, and in this case our plan is easy - we hit a good pair and bet bet bet because he won't fold. The only problem is we won't hit a good pair with 22-55 but the guy still won't be folding so it will get pretty bad for us pretty quickly.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Before giving up pre, check villain's Fold to CBet.

If you don't hit, you have a 2nd chance to take the pot with a CBet.

Stack size is important too.

If they don't have 20x your required bet, they're not worth the trouble.

You might also want to check their limp/fold, especially if you have a solid TAG image.

Best of luck,
      --VS