checking someone out vs winning side-pot

• sirilidion
      sirilidion
      Bronze
      I played in a live tournament last night and finished 3rd winning 60 euros. In this tournament the following hand took place. someone lost almost all his chips and had only 200 left. The blinds where 600/1200 and 3 people called this bets . the flop brought 2 6 10 rainbow 2 people checked and button bets 3000. the others folded . button has 88 and shortstack 103o the turn en river bring no help for the button and shortstack wins the 800 in the mainpot and button wins 3000 in the sidepot.

Now 4 peoples at the table thought you should check this down to eliminate the shortstack. While in my view and the view of the button the sidepot was so big that is was worth winning that right there.

I like too now from everybody thinks about this. and when do you think winning the sidepot is better than eliminating a player.
  • 4 replies
    • NRGBlaze
      NRGBlaze
      Bronze
      imho its always better to win more chips
      your goal shouldn't be just to eliminate one player
      not to mention that even after the shortstack won he has less than 1BB
    • LuborC
      LuborC
      Bronze
      I agree with NRGBlaze that it is never a bad thing to gain more chips.
      Plus if you are a bigstack and the guy with less than 1 BB folded his hand you can push very loose and steal a couple more blinds since nobody can really call you and risk busting in the 4. place where the payout is way less than in the top 3 places...
      If you are one of the shorter stacks on the other hand you want the guy out as soon as possible because you don't want to allow anyone to steal from you when you cannot really call IMO..
    • NickParkes
      NickParkes
      Bronze
      I agree, take the chips... generally you will find it's the other shortstacks that get the most annoyed.... and it can be very profitable if you are a big stack and there is a super shortie on the table cos you can steal a lot of chips while others are waiting for the shortie to get eliminated...

Take advantage of it, sometimes I will check down a pot, but if I am confident I am ahead or there are a lot of chips to be taken I will quite happily piss some of the people at the table off... besides, if they have a grudge against me they may also make an irrational move later, who knows?

Anyway well done on your placing...

Later

Nick
    • Jesusitonsky
      Jesusitonsky
      Bronze
      i always go to the sidepots. I try to win more chips rather than just eliminate one player.