Can't seem to stop playing, and then I lose

• Dragar
      Any tips so that I can stop playing when I am up.

Like today:

I make 5$ profit or so.... I play on, lose 15$. 1/3 of my bankroll gone :(
      Main problem is that I somehow keep going back to bss stacks at deep tables or nl tables when I am not ready for that yet. Make dumb mistakes and get punished hard.
  • 4 replies
    • SalamiandCheese
      You won't be a winning player until you get out of that tendency.

Stick to learning the FL game or play SSS until your have at least 10 buy-ins for BSS. If you fall 5 buy-ins on BSS you have to understand that a downswing that size is pretty standard then start again playing FL or SSS.

When I started with the free $50 at the end of July I got it up to $120 fairly soon then screwed it up a bit (playing over my bankroll) and fell back to $50. I tightened up my game using PT and I've managed to build it to $605, which is where i am right now.
    • Termi8r
      Hi Dragar,

I don't think that should stop just because you some profit for the session and don't want to loose it. Plan before the time how long you want to play and stick to it. Take regular breaks and if you are feeling fine continue regardless of the profit. See all your poker as one loooong session...

Learn the basics of SSS play and stick to it 100% during your play on NL10-NL25 at least. If you start to deviate from the strategy because either you won money or lost some money then I say you should stop IMMEDIATELY. As tilt in either way will make you loose your money.

I normally stop when I loose about 5 buy-ins because I don't play my A-game after that. When I do win then I just continue as I don't have problems playing my A-game when I'm ahead.

Good luck
    • Velak
      Originally posted by Dragar
      Main problem is that I somehow keep going back to bss stacks at deep tables or nl tables when I am not ready for that yet. Make dumb mistakes and get punished hard.
      You've done the hard part already. Right here, you've analyzed what you're doing wrong, but you keep doing it. Stop that.

Knowing what's going wrong is the biggest part of the problem. Lots of people would be happy to know what they're doing wrong so they can fix it. You know what you're doing wrong, but for some reason, you keep doing it wrong. :D

Personally, I don't let how much I win or lose, affect how long I play. I play until I hit a pre-defined number of hands, or predefined number of vpp's or for some preset amount of time, or some other goal I have set which is not bankroll related.

This way... for example.. if I had set a daily goal of "I want to win x number of buyins" then on downswing days, it would be pretty stressing, to try to keep playing until I reach that goal, which may never come. On other days, I might reach that goal in just a few minutes. (yesterday for example, in my first couple of minutes I was up over 5 buyins).

If I end the day behind, then that's just the way it is. I try to see my poker session as one day in a lifelong game. Just like you can have a losing hand in one game, you can have a losing day in a week, a losing week in a month, a losing month in a year, etc.

The important thing is that you play your best, constantly strive to improve and over the term of you 'lifelong game' you become a winning player. Don't stress over the individual losses. They happen. They have to.

Good Skill!
    • TheBrood
      I used to do the exact same thing, start winning then couldnt stop and eventually got tired after a couple of hours and lose it all. If you feel tired get out fast! Nowadays I rarely play more than an hour without resting.

I play the lowest no-limit BSS SH and if Im not winning after around 20 hands or if I havent identified a couple of fish Im out of the table.
      The more I win the more I tighten up, since the other players notice how you play pretty quick.
      Watch out for tilt after you WIN a big pot, not just when you lose a big pot.