Bankroll decline

• TheBu11d0g
      TheBu11d0g
      Bronze
      I started with my free $50 on pokerstars playing nl10 sss and currently my roll is now down to $21.60 X( .

Some of this is down to bad beats on the felt (as you can see by some of the hands posted in the sss hand section) and some down to me playing badly post flop (after analyzing my hands where i lost the most money in elephant).

Should i stay at NL10 on pokerstars and grind it out in the hope that my luck starts to improve or should i drop down a limit.
  • 15 replies
    • shloogy
      shloogy
      Bronze
      drop my friend u only have 10 buy ins left.on pokerstars there are even lower so yea grind it out

i was exactly in your position at the beginning and i dropped down so i hope that by now u didnt go busto..

good luck
    • TheBu11d0g
      TheBu11d0g
      Bronze
      hey shloogy,

i aint gone busto yet ;) . i've now dropped down to NL5 so i'll grind it out on that level till im back to $50 again and then move back to NL10.

cheers for the good luck.
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      no you shouldn't stay in that limit, take advantage that stars offers low low limits , i broke bankroll management twice in my life, one cost me 90% of my bankroll, the next time i got like 20% of it back, anyway, it's never a good idea.
    • davidangel
      davidangel
      Bronze
      I've noticed that on pokerstars NL5 has min buyin $2 (40BBs) and NL2 has min buyin $1 (50BBs)
      Are there any special rules for SSS, or do you simply leave when you increase your stack by 25%?
      Oh and dont worry, if you go broke you can freeroll your account, haha, only took me 2 years to earn $10 :D
    • harleytopper
      harleytopper
      Bronze
      Just deposit 50$ and use TAF program. For NL10 minimum BR is 60$ and it is lowest level for SSS on PokerStars.

Freerolls are waste of time -- large field, minimal prizes. Without luck you will never win.
    • TheBu11d0g
      TheBu11d0g
      Bronze
      Originally posted by davidangel
      I've noticed that on pokerstars NL5 has min buyin $2 (40BBs) and NL2 has min buyin $1 (50BBs)
      Are there any special rules for SSS, or do you simply leave when you increase your stack by 25%?
      Oh and dont worry, if you go broke you can freeroll your account, haha, only took me 2 years to earn $10 :D
      I was at IngolPokers SSS coaching on Sunday and mentioned that i had dropped down to NL5 and he completely disagreed with me doing that because, quite rightly, you cant play SSS at its best because of the 40BB buy-in rule.

Although i understand his reasonings for disagreeing, i only done it to stop me going completely down to zero and i managed to get the roll back up to $41 so i'm now back on NL10. If the same thing happened again, i wouldn't do it like that and i wouldn't advise it to anyone either. Just deposit the difference back into your account
    • davidangel
      davidangel
      Bronze
      haha, I was kidding about the freerolls, I only did that as a sort of hobby I guess. I read about Chris Ferguson building a freeroll account to $10,000 in under 2 years (granted, he is a pro playing full time) and was following his rules, albeit at a much slower pace. Its much easier to simply toss a few bucks in the pile then to grind away at low limits and freerolls. Oh, and if you lack enough fish at NL10 I recommend late-night happy hour (somewhere around 22:00 PST) on fulltilt poker :)
      Play rigid SSS with no leaks at 29%+ PpF tables, your roll will steadily climb, mine has, and I even have a few leaks, just look at some of my hand posts :D
      Oh, and I dont post my hands on NL2 or 5. They are simply crazy hands... NL2 is almost like playing in a freeroll...
    • TheBu11d0g
      TheBu11d0g
      Bronze
      @ DavidAngel,

The problem on pokerstars, or should i say riverstars, is that quite a few times opponents have managed to complete their straight, flush, trips, TP etc all on the river when i've been all-in with good hands and have been favourite all the way to the river, then BAM, good ol' Mr Donk hits his miracle card.

I have been thinking bout transferring my roll to another site, maybe its just RiverStars or maybe all sites are the same and i have just seen a higher amount of bad luck.
    • Velak
      Velak
      Bronze
      Originally posted by TheBu11d0g
      The problem on pokerstars, or should i say riverstars, is that quite a few times opponents have managed to complete their straight, flush, trips, TP etc all on the river when i've been all-in with good hands and have been favourite all the way to the river, then BAM, good ol' Mr Donk hits his miracle card.

I have been thinking bout transferring my roll to another site, maybe its just RiverStars or maybe all sites are the same and i have just seen a higher amount of bad luck.
      Wow. It honestly boggles me how often I hear this. If you're running into players who constantly chase flushes, gutshots, etc.. all the way to the river and they're willing to match your all-in shove, with a bet on this attempt, you should be celebrating, not thinking of moving your money.

You should learn who these players are, add them to your friends list, and keep as close track of them as possible. Trust me, these guys are the best friends of a SSS player.

OF COURSE they're going to hit sometimes. And it's a good thing that they do, because when they do, you can imagine them sitting behind their computer shouting "Woohoo!" Like Homer Simpson or something... completely oblivious that most of the time, if they play that way, and constantly keep getting their money in behind, you will be the one celebrating.

If you want to move your roll off Stars because you're running into bad players.. :D It's ok. I play on Stars and would prefer not to have other skilled Shortstackers around. But, guys.. honestly, if you can't win with those kinds of fish at your table... you're doing it wrong.

Maybe take some time to re-analyze your game, re-read the articles and make sure your understanding and comprehension of the strategy is sound.

Even though I quoted TheBu11d0g above, this isn't directed soley to him. I see these kinds of posts all the time, on multiple forums.

Good Skill to you!
    • TheBu11d0g
      TheBu11d0g
      Bronze
      @ Velak,

Thank you for your advice and kind words of wisdom.

It was just more of a rant really and getting things off my chest so to speak. It just got a bit disheartening when it happened like 5/6 times in one session and your bankroll takes a bit of a dent for it.
      I analyze my most losing hands after each session already and apart from a few post-flop errors that i've since corrected, most of the losses have come down to those badbeats and the hands were initially played correctly according to the strategy.
      I'll take your advice on board and keep an eye on those numb nuts :D and stalk them like a tiger hunting down his prey :D :D
    • davidangel
      davidangel
      Bronze
      I would also suggest reading or re-reading the articles on psychology.

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/psychology/

Keep your chin up buddy, every bad beat is a test, every test you pass moves you up.
    • TheBu11d0g
      TheBu11d0g
      Bronze
      @ david angel,

cheers for the post, i'll definately have a read.

Got my roll up to $137 now with some good wins in SNG's.

Looking abit better now.

Time to unleash the tiger and go back hunting on the cash tables :D
    • davidangel
      davidangel
      Bronze
      Here is a link to the aforementioned Chris Ferguson $0 - $10 000
      If nothing else it is a good read about BR management

http://www.fulltiltpoker.com/chris-ferguson-challenge
    • Velak
      Velak
      Bronze
      Good to hear that it seems you've stopped the bleeding at least.

Remember, with SSS.. it's likely you have the best hand going in, the majority of the time. Which means, if you're going to get beat, it will be a "bad beat".

Since you can't win every hand, these have to happen. Try not to let it affect your play in a negative way, keep making the right decisions, it should work out.

Sounds like you're seeing that, which is great news. Keep it up!
    • TheBu11d0g
      TheBu11d0g
      Bronze
      @ Velak.

Thank you v. much for the word of encouragement. They're much appreciated. Like you say, i've come to realise its one of those things and outta my control and to not let it affect my game.
      I review all my hands where i lost the most money and i know that the hand(s) were all played correctly and any dubious ones are posted on the board.