This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

mhonielsen

• mhonielsen
      mhonielsen
      Basic
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?
      Short term:
      Make some pocketmoney, while having lots of fun.
      Longer term:
      Become a better player and find out, if I have potential to go pro.
      Long term:
      Go pro if potential.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?
      Still playing to many hands, and not folding enough, early enough.
      Not recognizing spots where a call/fold is better than a raise.
      Playing to long sessions, and while I'm tired.
      Not knowing enough about hands vs. ranges equity.
      Not paying enough attention to opponents, as I tend to leave that to HM2.
      In tournaments, I become unecessarily greedy, like calling an unprovoked all in with KQs, when I have plenty of chips.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive? Play a very small group of hands, which have the best preflop potential for being a winning hand, and play these very agressively (raising rather than calling).
  • 5 replies
    • legand73
      legand73
      Bronze
      Hey mhonielsen

How you doing? Welcome to the course. I hope you enjoy and learn a thing or two :)
    • mhonielsen
      mhonielsen
      Basic
      Hi Legand.
      I'm great, thanks.

Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?
      Having read a lot of Harringtons, I would probably often raise more situtations, than the chart, in order to define my hand, get a feel for the opponents hands and to chase away limpers. If the right situation and opponents occurs, I would probably not pay notice to the chart, so much. Example: I'm on the button, and the blinds are nitty rocks. That would be a raise with any two cards 90% of the time.

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play?
      Not as such. Not yet.

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo.
      Equilab says: 46% (AKo) against 53% (top 5%)
    • mhonielsen
      mhonielsen
      Basic
      Question 1: You are holding KQ. What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 33? How does the equity change on this flop: J53?
      PF: Much to my surprise, that seems like a 50 - 50.
      PostF: Now KsQs are behind 26:74

Question 2: What would you do in the following hand? (Remember that it is important to explain your reasons, simply posting "Fold" or "Call" isn't enough!)

No Limit hold'em $2 (9-handed)

Players and stacks:
      UTG: $2.00
      UTG+1: $2.08
      MP1: $1.92
      MP2: $1.00
      MP3: $3.06
      CO: (Hero) $2.08
      BU: $2.00
      SB: $2.00
      BB: $1.24

Preflop: Hero is CO with AJ
      5 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, BU calls $0.08, SB folds, BB calls $0.06.

Flop: ($0.25) 263 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks, BU checks.

Turn: ($0.25) 5 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.22, BU raises to $0.44, BB folds, Hero...?

Answer:
      Before analysing, I thought that this was a good reason to go all in. This proves that I am learning something.

Thoughts: Button calls a 4BB raise, so he's probably got something. He did not re-raise, so his hand can not be very good. A small pair would fit this behaviour.

He checks the flop, so he is most likely trying to see the Turn card cheaply - hence no monster yet. Also no overpair, as he did not raise. So a small pair, which is lower than 66 and not 22 or 33, leaving only 44 or 55.

Turn comes with a 5, so either he has got 555 or a straight 6 high, if this read is correct. Whatever he's got he puts 40% of stack on risk - so he's very likely to have a good hand. Hero still only has Ace high.
      There is potential for a straight draw and a flush draw. The straight draw is beaten by his straight, so to be sure to win, hero needs to hit his flush. This all advocates towards a fold.

Analysing win odds vs. pot odds:
      There are 9 clubs left to make the nut flush. There are 46 unseen cards left. 46 - 9 = 37. The odds to get the flush are 37:9 or roughly 4:1

I have to call 0.22 to win a pot of (0.25 + 0.22 + 0.44) 0.91$. 91:22 Thats also roughly 4:1. We only just have the odds to call.

Risking 10% of our stack for a coin flip advocates that we wait for a better spot and fold.

There are 3 possibilites: All in, call or fold. An all in would most likely not chase him out of the pot, as he most likely has a strong hand allready. We would be crippled afterwards, with basically no chips/$ left. All in is no-go.
      We could call and hope to hit the flush on the river. If we make it, he would probably not put any more money in the pot.

This should be a fold!

Question 3: Do you have questions about your postflop play? Post your hand for evaluation. (Post your hand in the hand evaluation forum and provide a link to your hand in your private thread in the Locker Room.)
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hello mhonielsen,

Welcome to the course.

For more information on each lesson please visit this link: Welcome to the No Limit Beginners Course Forums

Good job with the first homework.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Bogdan
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi mhonielsen,

Congrats on finished the first 3 homework assignments.

Hmw3, Q2:

Well done with this analysis. I really enjoyed reading your analysis.

1) All In - not an option, we always have the worst hand and we do not have fold equity (we can't expect for him to fold anything there)
      2) Calling - we barely have the odds as you put it but we have something else called implied odds. Our draw is hidden (backdoor flush) so we have a bigger chance to get paid if we hit.

Best of luck,

Bogdan