mhonielsen

• mhonielsen
      mhonielsen
      Basic
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?
      Short term:
      Make some pocketmoney, while having lots of fun.
      Longer term:
      Become a better player and find out, if I have potential to go pro.
      Long term:
      Go pro if potential.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?
      Still playing to many hands, and not folding enough, early enough.
      Not recognizing spots where a call/fold is better than a raise.
      Playing to long sessions, and while I'm tired.
      Not knowing enough about hands vs. ranges equity.
      Not paying enough attention to opponents, as I tend to leave that to HM2.
      In tournaments, I become unecessarily greedy, like calling an unprovoked all in with KQs, when I have plenty of chips.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive? Play a very small group of hands, which have the best preflop potential for being a winning hand, and play these very agressively (raising rather than calling).
  • 5 replies
    • legand73
      legand73
      Gold
      Hey mhonielsen

How you doing? Welcome to the course. I hope you enjoy and learn a thing or two :)
    • mhonielsen
      mhonielsen
      Basic
      Hi Legand.
      I'm great, thanks.

Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?
      Having read a lot of Harringtons, I would probably often raise more situtations, than the chart, in order to define my hand, get a feel for the opponents hands and to chase away limpers. If the right situation and opponents occurs, I would probably not pay notice to the chart, so much. Example: I'm on the button, and the blinds are nitty rocks. That would be a raise with any two cards 90% of the time.

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play?
      Not as such. Not yet.

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo.
      Equilab says: 46% (AKo) against 53% (top 5%)
    • mhonielsen
      mhonielsen
      Basic
      Question 1: You are holding KQ. What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 33? How does the equity change on this flop: J53?
      PF: Much to my surprise, that seems like a 50 - 50.
      PostF: Now KsQs are behind 26:74

Question 2: What would you do in the following hand? (Remember that it is important to explain your reasons, simply posting "Fold" or "Call" isn't enough!)

No Limit hold'em $2 (9-handed)

Players and stacks:
      UTG: $2.00
      UTG+1: $2.08
      MP1: $1.92
      MP2: $1.00
      MP3: $3.06
      CO: (Hero) $2.08
      BU: $2.00
      SB: $2.00
      BB: $1.24

Preflop: Hero is CO with AJ
      5 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, BU calls $0.08, SB folds, BB calls $0.06.

Flop: ($0.25) 263 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks, BU checks.

Turn: ($0.25) 5 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.22, BU raises to $0.44, BB folds, Hero...?

Answer:
      Before analysing, I thought that this was a good reason to go all in. This proves that I am learning something.

Thoughts: Button calls a 4BB raise, so he's probably got something. He did not re-raise, so his hand can not be very good. A small pair would fit this behaviour.

He checks the flop, so he is most likely trying to see the Turn card cheaply - hence no monster yet. Also no overpair, as he did not raise. So a small pair, which is lower than 66 and not 22 or 33, leaving only 44 or 55.

Turn comes with a 5, so either he has got 555 or a straight 6 high, if this read is correct. Whatever he's got he puts 40% of stack on risk - so he's very likely to have a good hand. Hero still only has Ace high.
      There is potential for a straight draw and a flush draw. The straight draw is beaten by his straight, so to be sure to win, hero needs to hit his flush. This all advocates towards a fold.

Analysing win odds vs. pot odds:
      There are 9 clubs left to make the nut flush. There are 46 unseen cards left. 46 - 9 = 37. The odds to get the flush are 37:9 or roughly 4:1

I have to call 0.22 to win a pot of (0.25 + 0.22 + 0.44) 0.91$. 91:22 Thats also roughly 4:1. We only just have the odds to call.

Risking 10% of our stack for a coin flip advocates that we wait for a better spot and fold.

There are 3 possibilites: All in, call or fold. An all in would most likely not chase him out of the pot, as he most likely has a strong hand allready. We would be crippled afterwards, with basically no chips/$ left. All in is no-go.
      We could call and hope to hit the flush on the river. If we make it, he would probably not put any more money in the pot.

This should be a fold!

Question 3: Do you have questions about your postflop play? Post your hand for evaluation. (Post your hand in the hand evaluation forum and provide a link to your hand in your private thread in the Locker Room.)
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hello mhonielsen,

Welcome to the course.

For more information on each lesson please visit this link: Welcome to the No Limit Beginners Course Forums

Good job with the first homework.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Bogdan
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi mhonielsen,

Congrats on finished the first 3 homework assignments.

Hmw3, Q2:

Well done with this analysis. I really enjoyed reading your analysis.

1) All In - not an option, we always have the worst hand and we do not have fold equity (we can't expect for him to fold anything there)
      2) Calling - we barely have the odds as you put it but we have something else called implied odds. Our draw is hidden (backdoor flush) so we have a bigger chance to get paid if we hit.

Best of luck,

Bogdan