Play money

• kepsnys253
      kepsnys253
      Bronze
      Does playing with play money helps at least by bit? I just thought about that and would like to hear other opinions. I think that for example if you play at pokerstars with play money and you go up to highest mtt,sng and play money tables and you beat them, then I think that you also should beat 2NL or even 5NL, because at these stakes most players havo no clue about poker, but those who play highest stakes play money have to be quite skilled ,I think. Just wondering.
  • 17 replies
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Silver
      Hey kepsnyns253,

I wouldn't think so. Although it's hard to know really. Alot of United States players are playing play money (I don't know how seriously though)

To be honest, you are better off playing NL2 and seeing from there!

Best regards,
      Gary.
    • BradNitt
      BradNitt
      Silver
      i think the experience at those tables wont help you a lot it is often more a fun game but when u take it serious it will help ur mindset to stay calm if u get beats at real cash game tables
      when u dont tilt and u have a bit learned the stuff here u should be able to beat nl2 until 25
      so if u are always patienced and stick to your game yes but u cant learn a lot from villains there and i doubt they getting really better when u move up in stakes there
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      I agree, BradNitt...

Watch some play money tables, even "high stakes" tables.

You see the following that you never see even in the micros:

Full-table limpfests, followed by all-ins on the flop.
        Open shoves with 100BB stacks
        Extremely wide all-in and calling ranges

Before playing for real money, I built up about 2 million play chips on stars in about 6 months or so.

The play totally changed on even NL 2

Americans were playing real money on PokerStars in those days.

--VS
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi, kepsnys253,

Just my thought, but I suppose you could use play money tables to learn about odds and outs and your own ranges practice if you don't feel confident straight away, then move to real money later? It's what I did, I then moved to freerolls mtts.
      I wouldn't expect play money poker to be any more skilful at highr then lower limits though.

Just a thought,

Mal
    • Glopslart
      Glopslart
      Bronze
      It's ALL play money ...
    • BradNitt
      BradNitt
      Silver
    • LedZayats
      LedZayats
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Glopslart
      It's ALL play money ...
      ...until you sell your house to keep playing. :f_cry:
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Originally posted by LedZayats
      It's ALL play money ...
      Or you buy a car with the winnings :f_love:

I don't think you can profit from play money tables. You can't even practice opening ranges because ppl do sooo much random stuff. Like you'll almost never be the first to raise on he button. Someone before you will have shoved already probably.

Best Regards

RasTweet
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by RasTweet
      Originally posted by LedZayats
      It's ALL play money ...
      Or you buy a car with the winnings :f_love:

I don't think you can profit from play money tables. You can't even practice opening ranges because ppl do sooo much random stuff. Like you'll almost never be the first to raise on he button. Someone before you will have shoved already probably.

Best Regards

RasTweet
      There are Freemoney Pros out there selling play chips to the players that cant beat 1000/2000 NLHE Free Money.

I always thought it was hilarious that you could sell your play money chips on sites. ROFL LOL HAHAHA
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      If you play on Stars, I would suggest Hubble's NLHE Freerolls. Top 72 get a ticket to a Weekly tourney with a 2K prizepool.

The fields are often around 9k players so it's a good test of your skill in keeping a stack.

Plus it's a way to grab a little cash to then test out at NL2. It's how I first got to play real money games plus I learnt more in 3 months than I did in 2 years of play money.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      There are freerolls in the "astronomer" series for almost ever variant.

They are a reasonably good way to get a feel for such games.

The play is at an exceptionally low standard -- ie, lots of limpers in each pot.

I play these a lot.
      My favourites are the HORSE, 8-Game, 2-7 NL Single draw, 2-7 FL Triple Draw and of course the 5-Card Draw tournaments.

I've even cashed in a couple of Round 2s.

Enjoy...
      --VS
    • JimC6
      JimC6
      Bronze
      Like people have already said I don't think play money will help very much.

If you have some poker friends though you can probably learn a lot if the are willing to sit on the play money tables.

I used to play a guy heads up on play money regularly for practice and we both played seriously that improved my heads up a lot.
    • pokerplayerplayer18
      pokerplayerplayer18
      Basic
      play money is just people going all in all the time. i really try to learn but these games teach me nothing. do people even play correctly at the microstakes real money? when can i start to learn?
    • ArkhamAsylum
      ArkhamAsylum
      Bronze
      I really don't think play money helps at all. I remember one time a site wanted me to earn 20,000 in play money chips to get 20 dollars to play on their tables. There was no similarity about play money to real money and earning the 20,000 was annoying to begin with. As it was one person raise, then one person shove and bang the whole table was in. If anything play money could give you bad habits. But maybe times have changed.
    • Zacktin999
      Zacktin999
      Basic
      yes, it does
    • Jafreiteris
      Jafreiteris
      Bronze
      Only thing that play money is good to learn basics of poker : How cards are dealt, who bets first, betting rounds, what hands are stronger and etc. Everything else is not working on play money
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      As a beginner, play as many freeroll varients as you possibly can IMO.
      Learn the cheap way instead of losing $100s on NL200.