Laz
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      Easily one of the best blogs already! :f_biggrin:
    • Glopslart
      Glopslart
      Bronze
      The usual way to start a blog is by narrating the circumstances which drove the blogger to get involved with this ridiculous game. I can't be arsed doing that just now - I will find time to cut and paste here some previous blog entries which told the tale.

No, what I want to do first is to howl to the world about last night, or maybe it was the night before - I am so punch-drunk I can't recall which.

The scene: an i-poker 10-man SNG, 50+10- that's CENTS, not dollars, just in case you had some delusions, dear readers.

The blinds are low/middle, the player on my right has not washed in a fortnight, plus he is the table megastack. I am in the BB. Everyone folds and Mega minraises me. I have been spewing chips, and am moderately short. I am sitting there with Aces, and I feel sick, sick, sick, because I know what is going to happen IN ADVANCE.

I try to put the horror out of my mind and pretend to myself that I have a chance. If I stick it in, he may flee, so I just call and - here you will of course smile - "hope he hits something on the flop to keep him interested".
      The flop comes down 555, yes, really.
      I think it went check, check. I can't be arsed looking at the stupid hand history.
      The turn came down something random, I think the 10 :spade: There was a bet and a call. The river was, I think, a small spade. By that time I was pot-committed anyway, there was the usual silly microstakes SNG flurry of betting, by the end of which I was all-in. I expected Mega had made a flush or a smaller boat.

Of course he turned over 65o, and I was out.

This is normal. This is my life. If it is not YOUR life yet, it soon will be. The cards, the cards, they mock me, they mock me..... :f_cry:
    • NijeVaznoKoSam
      NijeVaznoKoSam
      Bronze
      if it would not so sad, i had to lough out loud.. :D

this is one 1 the funniest Blogstarts i ever read... sorry / but i still smile, even you cant't understand that. but i really hope this not make you mad about me

more from that pls :rolleyes:
    • Glopslart
      Glopslart
      Bronze
      By way of introduction to any poor fool who has naught better to do than to read my blog-

1] I am extremely old, by PS standards. One of my major leaks has been losing my buy-ins by falling asleep in the middle of a session.

2] I play full ring NLHE 10-man SNGs. This is because my cash game stinks even more than my SNG game, and because the format of SNGs resembles the format of my beloved principal game, which is NOT POKER.

3] I got into poker after watching a late-night TV show in about 2006, which screened a European team tournament. I dabbled in pub leagues first, then in online [non-PS] sites, developing a taste in SNGs and smaller MTTs.

4] PS advertised in a magazine catering for my main game. I registered, but didn't create any PS accounts, as I was busy on other sites already, plus even the PS basic freebie strategy was very profitable in those days.

5] I was beating the $5 10-mans, but cashed out as there was too much else going on in my life. I re-commenced dabbling with online poker, got scammed by the notorious Gutshot operation, and finally went with PS 'properly'.

6] I was one of the last to benefit from the PS $50 welcome package - happy days! I ran my stack up to about $140, then blew it through various forms of idiocy. I was down to $8, and am now grinding it back up. I sneaked ANOTHER $50 out of the system by taking up the PS offer of $50 on '770' if I put up a set volume of posts during September.

7] I am in the middle of a massive downswing at time of writing, which will inevitably colour these passages. I have been finishing 4th in SNGs with terrific frequency over the last month. This is unfortunate, because only 3 get paid. I keep reminding myself that IT'S ALL PLAY MONEY REALLY, but that doesn't work all the time.

8] Having beaten the $5 games a few years back, I now cannot beat the 50c games. This is truly embarrassing. Either the science has changed, or I have forgotten all the things I learned in 07/08/09.

9] I cheerfully announced to these forums October goals of getting gold status and moving back towards the $5 games, and maybe higher. This has been modified to - not losing my stack and not hurling the computer through my living-room window.
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Lol. You are a great comedic writer. This is just so funny to read as the cards just mocked me in the Biggest $4.40 by cracking my AA with KK.

Sadly the games are harder than 4 years ago and only getting harder. New players are better educated (Thanks to PokerStrategy) and edges are continually getting thinner which requires more gambling. ?(

Anyway please keep this blog going and 10/10.

Cheers

Laz
    • Glopslart
      Glopslart
      Bronze
      The other night something within me seriously fractured. I have been busting out 4th with horrifying frequency, [in SNGs where only 3 get paid].

I was on the bubble in another one of these, and I couldn't take it. I deliberately made an insane play, got called and was duly busted out. I just wanted to get the loss over with as soon as possible, because my downswing had reached the point where I couldn't see myself as the winner I used to be.

That's pretty twisted, even by poker standards, so I took a rest. I have attempted to work through the feelings which led to that situation, and I [probably] won't do that again.
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey Glop,

If you get a chance I would severely recommend reading "The Mental Game Of Poker" by Jared Tendlar.

I used to have those thoughts but after reading the book I was able to gain some perspective on how to deal with frustration and the ultimate tilt that ensues.

Bullshit quote from movie:

"Do the cards still mock you Clarice?" Hannibal Lederer in the movie "Silence of the Lambs"
    • legand73
      legand73
      Bronze
      If you get a chance I would severely recommend reading "The Mental Game Of Poker" by Jared Tendlar.

+1
    • Glopslart
      Glopslart
      Bronze
      Originally posted by legand73

+1
      Lazza 61 and Mod legand73 - TY for advice, yes if time permits.
    • Glopslart
      Glopslart
      Bronze
      This is the very first hand of a 50c+10c 10-man sng on i-poker. 1500 chips, the blinds are 10/20.

I am UTG, with A :diamond: K :club:

I put in a 4X raise. I get calls from someone in middle position and SB.

The flop comes down 10 :diamond: 8 :club: 10 :spade: .

SB checks. I want to know where I am, so I bet half-pot. MP calls, SB folds.

The turn comes 10 :heart: . It goes check, check. The river comes K :heart: .

Readers, you may have noticed that this gives me a full house. I therefore thought it appropriate to put down a hearty bet. MP raises all-in. I have to call. MP turns over 7 :club: 10 :club: .
      I was out.

Now, I could have tolerated this had MP called me with, say, A 10, but this chap thought it appropriate to call a 4x raise from UTG with suited rags, not even connectors.

The cards, the cards, they mock me, they mock me ....
    • Glopslart
      Glopslart
      Bronze
      Having been unable to beat [or having been downswung at] the 50c+10c SNGs, I have taken what for me feels like the entirely logical :D step of moving UP a level to the $1+20c games. :f_biggrin:

The reasoning is that I was profitable at the higher level last year, plus I have an adequate bankroll, gifted by a kindly PS for multiple posts in September. Based on a huge sample size of 8 games :s_grin: , this has been a good decision so far.

So the November goals are
      # to see if I can survive at this level and
      # maybe, maybe play enough games for gold status, despite the other attractions of life.

2] I have also been thinking about the maniac who called my 4x raise with 7 10 :club: . Maybe he wasn't so crazy. At 10/20, calling a big raise with rags is not such a problem. You normally know where you are on the flop. If you have to abandon the hand, you still have a stack, and if you 'get lucky' you can double up. Whether that logic represents optimal strategy is a question for the clever people among us.
    • Glopslart
      Glopslart
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Glopslart
      The usual way to start a blog is by narrating the circumstances which drove the blogger to get involved with this ridiculous game. I can't be arsed doing that just now - I will find time to cut and paste here some previous blog entries which told the tale.

No, what I want to do first is to howl to the world about last night, or maybe it was the night before - I am so punch-drunk I can't recall which.

The scene: an i-poker 10-man SNG, 50+10- that's CENTS, not dollars, just in case you had some delusions, dear readers.

The blinds are low/middle, the player on my right has not washed in a fortnight, plus he is the table megastack. I am in the BB. Everyone folds and Mega minraises me. I have been spewing chips, and am moderately short. I am sitting there with Aces, and I feel sick, sick, sick, because I know what is going to happen IN ADVANCE.

I try to put the horror out of my mind and pretend to myself that I have a chance. If I stick it in, he may flee, so I just call and - here you will of course smile - "hope he hits something on the flop to keep him interested".
      The flop comes down 555, yes, really.
      I think it went check, check. I can't be arsed looking at the stupid hand history.
      The turn came down something random, I think the 10 :spade: There was a bet and a call. The river was, I think, a small spade. By that time I was pot-committed anyway, there was the usual silly microstakes SNG flurry of betting, by the end of which I was all-in. I expected Mega had made a flush or a smaller boat.

Of course he turned over 65o, and I was out.

This is normal. This is my life. If it is not YOUR life yet, it soon will be. The cards, the cards, they mock me, they mock me..... :f_cry:
      I was absolutely delighted to see somebody else being massacred by random quad 5s in pretty much the same way last night, in an MTT. Glad it's not just me.
    • Glopslart
      Glopslart
      Bronze
      This blog has been pretty dry the last few weeks. I have not been playing much. Work, 'normal' life and 'the other game' have been taking precedence.

I play for a team in division 1 of the national league in my 'other game', at a level not far below pro, as well as in other leagues. The game has many similarities to poker, especially SNGs and HU.

This is high season for the 'other game', so I have been giving it my full attention over poker. That is despite there being no money in it - it is a question of spiritual satisfaction.

So, far from gunning for gold, I will need to take care to play enough games to stay silver. The SNGs have not been notably spicy this month - the reality is that success, or survival, depends on sticking it all in or calling all-in at high blind levels. Some days the right move has the 'right result', some days not, and you have to try and roll with it. I have not thus far hurled my computer through my closed living-room window, so that's positive.

A few weeks ago I was disconnected from 770 at a key moment - normal! :f_mad: As compensation, the site gave me a $1+10c general tournament token. It was about to expire, so last night I used it to enter a small MTT. The field was 140-odd, after the late registrations had all tumbled in. I finished 3rd, after over 4 hours' play. Yes, I was lucky, but SNG experience definitely helped me when my blind/stack ratio got dangerous.

I felt good about it, and it's nice to see my cashbox swelling, but was I really a winner? My hourly 'wage' was probably illegal anywhere except in Bangladesh. A matter to ponder .....
    • Ramble
      Ramble
      Bronze
      1] I am extremely old, by PS standards. One of my major leaks has been losing my buy-ins by falling asleep in the middle of a session.
      Yup - I hear you brother (on both counts... well maybe I'm not EXTREMELY old...:P )

The other night something within me seriously fractured. I have been busting out 4th with horrifying frequency, [in SNGs where only 3 get paid].
      It's like I am looking in a mirror... [cue twilight zone theme - (told you I was old)]

Originally posted by Lazza61
      "Do the cards still mock you Clarice?" Hannibal Lederer in the movie "Silence of the Lambs"
      Was that on purpose? LOL

2] I have also been thinking about the maniac who called my 4x raise with 7 10 :club: . Maybe he wasn't so crazy. At 10/20, calling a big raise with rags is not such a problem. You normally know where you are on the flop. If you have to abandon the hand, you still have a stack, and if you 'get lucky' you can double up. Whether that logic represents optimal strategy is a question for the clever people among us.
      I'm starting to think this is the next evolution in poker... the fish have been watching and learning and are evolving mechanisms to turn the hunters into prey... (I'm only half kidding).

Marked your blog as a favorite - looking forward to your next updates - hope the level up works for you.
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Originally posted by Ramble

Originally posted by Lazza61
      Was that on purpose? LOL

I was hoping someone would notice Lol. He is a serial BR murderer
    • Glopslart
      Glopslart
      Bronze
      Got home about 01.30 local time from a parteeeeee. Registered for three i-poker micro 10-man SNGs at different stakes. Fell asleep. X(

Woke up ages later. No action at all on the $1 and $2 tables :D . But my 50c table had started and I had given up 70 in blinds while 'sitting out' :( . Put myself back together and ended up second.

Now, should I be relieved about not having slept through the whole spiel, or disappointed about lousing up first place?
    • Glopslart
      Glopslart
      Bronze
      If you play enough hands, you will see everything.
      Down to a relatively few big blinds in a $1+20c 10-man SNG on i-poker, I found myself in late position with KQo. I stuck it all in.
      Someone down the line called. The BB reraised all in. The first raiser called so that he was all-in too.

The BB turned over AA. The first raiser turned over AA also. This being i-poker, by the time the board had assembled itself, a J, 10, and 9 had appeared, giving me a straight.

Several more pairs of aces appeared in people's hands before the end of the tournament, a veritable blizzard.

Obviously, there could be no happy ending for me, as I am in another downswing, and I busted out penniless in 4th.
    • Glopslart
      Glopslart
      Bronze
      These are reposts from my entries on the 770 site forum.
      -------------------------------

1840 entrants today, WTF???

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      I am playing in the $100 daily 770 freeroll as I write. All around me is the smoke of battle, the screams of the dying, the farting of the Roumanians, the reckless Scands going all-in with rags, etc., etc. ....

The thing is that there were 1840 starters, and I ask : WTF????

The $100 daily normally attracts about 600. I looked through the list of runners and at several points I saw player codes starting 'TTR'. From memory this is the Titan code - 770 codes start with 'PSR', as far as I know.

It looks to me as if the aspirants from at least one other site, and maybe two, have been parachuted into what I had thought was a pure 770 tournament: am I mistaken?

As if that was not bad enough, I have just raised with AA, and every other son of a bitch on the table folded.

If this is the new regime, and not a one-off aberration, the $100 daily FR has ceased to be sensible as a means of giving your bankroll a friendly tickle. I am ITM as I write, in the 20s,with 45 people left, and I assure you, dear readers, that I do not feel like a winner, not after grinding for over 4 hours to get to this point.

Edit: Plus I just missed a straight flush - folded 88 when the megastack on the table went all-in .

This post has been edited 3 time(s), it was last edited by Glopslart: Yesterday, 23:28.

Yesterday, 22:55

Glopslart
      Silver

Registration Date: 18 May 2008

Would ya believe it?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Just won the bloody thing. Perhaps I shouldn't complain so much BUT I ENJOY IT.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
      [1.33 a.m.; after six and a half hours' play, Lord save us.]