My up and down poker career

• Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Hi,
      My name is Christian and I currently live in Singapore were I study.

I will focus mainly on SnG and MTT play and since I just got the Silver Status I thought I'd write my blog.

My main stradegy for SnGs and MTTs is the following:

Play tight in the beginning till good cards come. Raise them preflop and make a continuation bet.

When blinds get high start push/fold against smaller stacks, be carefull of bigger stats. Count a 2 or 3 times raise as an "all in" since players are too scared to go all in with good cards but raise them. I usually fold KJ and things like that to those raises during middle play since they probably have the ace.

End play is very aggressive, but controlled. I only go all-in or fold. Sometimes limp for good flush draws but not very often.

So here are my stats

SnG 1$ buyin
      Played:30
      First place: 5 times
      Second place: 3 times
      Third place: 6 times

MTT stats
      Greatest sucess: Place 54 out of 3500 players.. pay out 3$ (hated that haha)

Luckiest hand ever:
      JJ vs AA and KK all in preflop
      My JJ wins because by the time the river comes the cards on the board are 7,8,9,10 :)

Worst beat:
      AA vs Q 8o all in preflop
      My AA loses because by the time the river comes Q, 10, 10, Q

Anyways I will update this blog from time to time with stats and so on. Will also play some ring games and see how that goes.
  • 26 replies
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Just tilted... don't know what I was thinking. Went all in vs a lose player and lost with AJ vs QQ... was so easy to see it coming but I ingnored it.

Anyways got 7$ left now.... tonight will decide if I will continue playing or not. Have exams and stuff coming up anyway so might as well take a little break if I go bankrupt later on. Will put money back into the account when I got more time to play and then use proper BRM and so on.
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Ok completly bankrupt...

Still doing those mistakes like QQ and there is an A on the flop.. don't believe the guy has an A so I reraise. Knew I should fold but somehow I don't.

Anyways, time for a break.
    • superjunk
      superjunk
      Bronze
      Ok .. Just study, its always hard to lay down a big hand.. But when you made a good laydown, you feel pretty good after all..

Goodluck with your study,
    • Kimber88
      Kimber88
      Bronze
      That's right superjunk. After reading a lot and playing according to strategy I have found that even a laydown, where I could've won, didn't make me feel bad. Actually it still feels good to know that I'm able to do it - and that I do it right.

Some pro once said: "You are not a good poker player if you are not able to lay down a good hand".

Check this one out: (If I'm allowed to post the link?? If else I'm sorry)
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIvgJ6CkXag
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Yeah had to learn it. But I think I am getting there now. Found out that I still had 10$ left on another account. Well that doubled now playing BSS for 2 days 5cent/10cent NL :)

I made correct lay downs this time. Example: AQ vs reraises and so on. Was also able to correctly indentify hand ranges of opponents with the help of pokertracker.

Also played for implied odds this time to catch something on the turn, got it and was able to win a huge all-in pot by another BSS player:

GAME #1179194815: Texas Hold'em NL $0.05/$0.10 2008-09-23 10:03:26
      Table Bismarck
      Seat 2: Nashadar ($8.58 in chips)
      Seat 3: reefer0777 ($8.95 in chips)
      Seat 4: Tortxu ($4.55 in chips)
      Seat 5: AlexeyKobets ($2.00 in chips)
      Seat 8: optimiste ($15.29 in chips) DEALER
      Nashadar: Post SB $0.05
      reefer0777: Post BB $0.10
      *** HOLE CARDS ***
      Dealt to Nashadar [C4 D4]
      Tortxu: Fold
      AlexeyKobets: Fold
      optimiste: Call $0.10
      Nashadar: Call $0.05
      reefer0777: Check
      *** FLOP *** [S3 H2 D10]
      Nashadar: Check
      reefer0777: Bet $0.10
      optimiste: Fold
      Nashadar: Call $0.10
      *** TURN *** [H4]
      Nashadar: Raise (NF) $0.40
      reefer0777: Raise (NF) $8.75
      Nashadar: Allin $7.98
      Nashadar: Check
      reefer0777: Bet $0.10
      *** RIVER *** [D2]
      *** SUMMARY ***
      Total pot $16.77 Rake $0.86
      reefer0777: Shows [D3 C3]
      Nashadar: wins $16.40
      reefer0777: wins $0.37
    • Kimber88
      Kimber88
      Bronze
      Good to hear you are doing better. Keep the blog updated.. I'll come back later on and see some more progress.. :)

Cheers,
      Kimber88
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Alright my BR is back to 25$. Getting the hang of BSS and there are a lot of weak players on the ipoker network compared to full tilt.

Will also be playing a RL sit n go tomorrow night with a 20$ buyin. 14 players confirmed so far hence first place would get 140$. The players are pretty weak, except one who plays very aggressive. But improved my game since the last time I played against him so it should be alright.

Anyways if I win, the money would be going back into my online bankroll or towards my trip to Macau in 2 weeks. Really want to play poker there, but I think the blinds might be too high for my bankroll. Can't really play 1$/2$ blinds.
    • dallievas
      dallievas
      Bronze
      Hi Christian,
      I think u should reread this:
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/sng/618/
      and reread this post:
      Ok completely bankrupt...

prior doing that
      Will also be playing a RL sit n go tomorrow night with a 20$ buyin

Even Phil Hellmuth said ``I need just above average luck and run of cards``.
      Good luck :)
    • Hlynkinn
      Hlynkinn
      Bronze
      His online budget is maybe 25$$$

but his real life budget is maybe 3k$$$

RL means Real Life... I think...

so you knowww
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Yup RL means Real life... and can cover 20$ there quiet nicely :)
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Little update:

Played 4 SnGs today... got second place in all of them.

I think I need to focus to improve my heads up play.

Bank roll at 31$ now.
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Ok I lost my real life tourney to a bad beat:

Guy managed to get 2 pairs because of the river and beat my dominating hand (I was all in on the turn as a short stack).

Online I am doing better now.

My bankroll is now at 55$ because of this lovely hand and other good play:

GAME #1183170531: Texas Hold'em NL $0.05/$0.10 2008-09-25 18:18:21
      Table "TURBO" Flinders
      Seat 1: skalestrik ($10.00 in chips)
      Seat 2: stiffle6 ($13.57 in chips)
      Seat 3: pimno ($0.74 in chips)
      Seat 4: SellKids4Chips ($3.75 in chips)
      Seat 6: basspl ($1.81 in chips)
      Seat 7: kitoshan ($1.35 in chips)
      Seat 8: DouTai ($10.00 in chips)
      Seat 9: Nashadar ($9.90 in chips) DEALER
      Seat 10: Hehemon ($1.45 in chips)
      Hehemon: Post SB $0.05
      skalestrik: Post BB $0.10
      *** HOLE CARDS ***
      Dealt to Nashadar [D4 S4]
      stiffle6: Raise (NF) $0.40
      pimno: Fold
      SellKids4Chips: Fold
      basspl: Fold
      kitoshan: Call $0.40
      DouTai: Call $0.40
      Nashadar: Call $0.40
      Hehemon: Fold
      skalestrik: Fold
      *** FLOP *** [D9 D10 H4]
      stiffle6: Bet $1.75
      kitoshan: Fold
      DouTai: Call $1.75
      Nashadar: Raise (NF) $6.00
      stiffle6: Raise (NF) $13.17
      DouTai: Allin $7.85
      Nashadar: Allin $3.50
      *** TURN *** [D3]
      *** RIVER *** [C4]
      *** SUMMARY ***
      Total pot $33.02 Rake $1.00
      stiffle6: Shows [HA SA]
      DouTai: Shows [D8 DA]
      stiffle6: wins $3.57
      DouTai: wins $0.20
      Nashadar: wins $29.25

I think I did the right call on the flop.. I was ahead, and it payed off. Was just a bit annoyed when the turn came but delighted on the river :)
      Goto love quads :) :)
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      After an hour of play my bankroll is now at 66$

Here is a link to the graph (somehow won't display the image here)

image=graph2hc0.jpghttp://img223.imageshack.us/my.php?image=graph2hc0.jpg
    • opal99
      opal99
      Black
      Originally posted by Dragar
      After an hour of play my bankroll is now at 66$

Here is a link to the graph (somehow won't display the image here)

image=graph2hc0.jpghttp://img223.imageshack.us/my.php?image=graph2hc0.jpg
      just post it like this:

code:
      [IMG]https://img223.imageshack.us/img223/1858/graph2hc0.jpg[/IMG]

There's "Direct" link on the bottom of imageshack page. Just c/p it into [img][/img] tags.

You should use some kind of hand coverter to make it simplier to read for us. The best one is implemented in Elephant (free trial) and the other good is THIS ONE.
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Hey Dragar good to see you are on the road to recovery :)

The problem you face at the moment though is that you are playing completely out of BRM - when playing NL. If you sit down with $10 at an NL table - you effectively have a 5 stack bankroll management. So a few bad beats will have you bankrupt.

Since you are now back at the level of the starting capital I would therefore move back to playing SNGs using BRM as you are otherwise risking too much.

Aside from that good luck at the tables!

Best regards,
      SoyCD
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Ok thanks.
      Yeah I lost a buy in today.

But then I joined a MTT

Place 19 out of 324 players. 11$ payout. Bank roll at 63$

Thing which really annoyed me at this tournament was that when I went all in with an A7 vs two limpers one of them started discussing his hand with the others on the table (he had AJ) and since the others told him to call he did, they seemed to know each other from before. I don't think this is fair since they destroyed my fold equity.. I raised 6000 to 32000. I don't think he would have called without them telling him to do so... he only did after multiple call messages from the others.

Am not even sure if this is allowed or not for them to do... thought hands are not allowed to be discussed during all in etc. or at all till the play is done. If what they did breaches Ipoker terms I can report them I guess.

Update:
      Talked to support about it, and of course it isn't allowed.. hence they are "dealing" with the players involved.. whatever that means.
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Played when I was completely drunk multitabling..... if I remember I was winning around 7$, then made two mistakes...... bankroll at 58$ now.

Serves me right I guess, could have been way worse. Thank god my logical side of the brain still functions somewhat when I am drunk haha
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Probably did my first idiotic unfocused misclick ever.

I get a straight on the turn... don't even realize it and continue min bidding for my flush draw. Don't get the flush.. opponent bids into me and I fold.

Right after the fold... I realize what I did.... feel like an idiot right now haha. Well he could have had a backdoor flush.. but pretty unlikely.

Anyways bankroll at 56$ right now.
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Ok goto do an update since I have been quiet too long.

My bankroll is at 120$ now.
      I play SnG, MTT and cash games now. MTTs have been good lately. Played a Speed rebuy one and managed to get 17th place. Lost due to a suckout (was ahead preflop all-in)
      Also managed to reach the final table in another MTT for the first time ever :) . Finished 8th or 9th I think.

Speed MTTs are somewhat fun, but you really need to get good cards. I tried playing another one and went out place 166 or so.. 99 in a multiway pot and I had not more fold equity. That tourney cost me 15$

NL cash games are going well too now. I am becoming a more aggresive player now, which is working out fine.
      Kinda doing the whole: "If your checking to me, the only way to win is if your trapping me" thing right now and its working well.

My Macau trip wasn't that great for poker. Managed to tilt cause of frustration and boredom (I get AA and raise to 80$, everyone folds... but 100$+ bets from other player pre-flop.. of course people call) and lost 600$HK (very little acctually compared to the blinds and stuff they use). But gambling made me win 2.5k$HK the next night... so overall its still profit :)

But overall online poker has helped me improve my life game too. If I play vs my friends now I feel like I am dominating them. I already know how they will bet or what they will do. I don't even have to read them, which I can also do now better then before, to know how to beat them.

Never knew how much information I can get out of people because they just pick up their cards and look at them :)