Zero to Hero - 0$ balance

• sc2zerker
      sc2zerker
      Bronze
      Introduction

Always wanted to do a blog, Guess this is a good enough reason to start. I'll start by introducing myself, explaining my goals and telling you guys what I've done to accomplish those goals so far.

My name is Marc, I'm 26 years old and I'm from Canada. I played a lot of starcraft 2 (An online real time strategy game) under the alias "Zerker". My poker name is sc2zerker. As you can guess sc2 means Starcraft 2, and Zerker is my usually alias I use for most things.

Goals

Lifetime Goals
      - Learn as much as possible
      - Make money
      - Enjoy myself
      - Stay motivated and focus

Milestone goals
      Complete - Nov 1th, 2013 - Achieve an 0%+ ROI Achieved on Nov 23rd, 2013
      Nov 23rd, 2013 - Accumulate +50BI's @ the 0.10+0.02 level
      Nov 23rd, 2013 - Play 1000 SnGs
      Nov 28th, 2013 - Complete all X-Mas advent missions

BANK ROLL - updated last, Nov 28th, 2013

:heart: Dec 3rd, 2013: Bank Roll: 49$ cash / 0$ tokens / 49$ total
      :spade: Nov 28th, 2013: Bank Roll: 47$ cash / 2$ tokens / 49$ total:spade:
      :club: Nov 26th, 2013: Bank Roll: 35$ cash / 24$ tokens / 59$ total

BANK ROLL HISTORY

:diamond: Nov 23rd, 2013: Bank Roll: 32$ cash / 24$ tokens / 56$ total :diamond:
      :heart: Nov 21st, 2013: Bank Roll: 16$Cash / 11$tokens / 27$ total :heart:
      :spade: Nov 16th, 2013: Bank Roll: 12$cash / 7$tokens / 19$ total :spade:
      :club: Nov 10th, 2013: Bank Roll: 10$cash / 17$tokens / 27$total :club:
      :diamond: Nov 8th, 2013: Bank Roll: 9.5$cash / 7$tokens / 16.5$total :diamond:
      :heart: Oct 22nd, 2013: Bank Roll: 21$cash / 23$tokens / 44$total :heart:
      :spade: Oct 15th, 2013: Bank Roll: 18$cash / 6$tokens / 24$ total :spade:

Graphs for 6 max Regular (0.10 + 0.02$) IPoker - updated last, Nov 28th, 2013

Dollars ($)

Buy Ins (BI)

X-Mas Advent Mission

My path

I started 3 weeks ago, maybe 4. It was around the end of Sept. I had no idea where to start but I had heard from my friends that you can make money playing poker. I wasn't quite sure what that meant but I was extremely curious. I started my adventure by seeking the guidance of my online friend(Kyhol). He told me about pokerstrategy.com and I've been addicted since. He also offered himself as a coach. So I've had a person to direct my question to since day 1 which has defiantly reduced the learning curve.

Blog #1

Let's see.. I've read all the basic articles on pokerstrat, took the quiz, passed and was awarded 10$. I played freeroll MTT for the longest time and now I have roughly 10,000 hands under my belt. I think i've won 5 MTT freerolls and placed in a winning bracket for 20+ MTT's so far. After playing what seemed like an endless amount of MTTs I started a new promo @ pokerstars.

Pokerstars currently has a bankroll builder promo. It's a type of promo for people who have not yet deposited money at pokerstars. I had to re-read all my basic instructions but it gave me a firm grasp of the basics i feel. After completing 2 courses I was awarded 4$ So i'm currently enrolled in that with a balance of 5.50(4$ was given and 1.50$ was earned)

I downloaded HM2 at this point I believe. I spent days figuring things out and going into a lot of detail. I still havn't explored the depths of that program but I have a better understanding of it. I have set my set my HUD stats to Name / Hands / BB added another line and added TOT VPIP / TOT PFR / TOT 3bet. So a basic 2 line hud which has been working fairly well for me. I decided to keep it simple for multiple reasons. 1) i only have 2k hands played on pokerstars 2) 8,000 on poker770. With a low amount of hands and not many opponents in my database I feel the more in-depth stats will not be very reliable.

I still havn't figured out how to use my HUD correctly. Especially with large MTTs or at least with poker770. Since the HUD doesn't track when you change tables. I'm lead to believe that the hand history provided by poker770 poker room does not track a change in table when they automatically move you which confuses the HM2 program.

After the bankroll builder promo slowed down. I started reading all the bronze articles on pokerstrategy and watched a lot of youtube videos explaining odds, outs, implied odds, bluffing, stats, terms ect. I started to theorycrafting and came up with some odd questions which I had no idea the answer too. I asked these questions on the poker strat forums which brought me to even more things I didn't know about, for example backdoor draws. After getting used to the forums someone suggested that I create a post on the beginners course. Which I have done.

So that should basically bring you guys up to speed, My current bankroll is 18$ cash split between poker770 and pokerstars and 6$ worth of tokens on poker770. What I would like to do in the future is created a time vs profit graph but that can come at a later date.
  • 50 replies
    • sc2zerker
      sc2zerker
      Bronze
      Cash games - Zoom tables + 9 Ring max. Pokerstars account.

600 hands
    • sc2zerker
      sc2zerker
      Bronze
      Blog #2

Ok, It's been a week. I think it's time for a small update on my progress.

I've recently discovered the coaching section on pokerstrategy. I'm quite impressed at the amount of free coaching that is available. I've attended a few of there sessions and the coaches have been extremely helpful with answering questions through their chat. Apart from the coaching sessions I've started to attended, I've decided on having a more structured approach to improving my game. I experimented with cash games 9 rings, 6 ring zooms, 6max sng, mass MTTs and I've decide I need to improve on 1-2 game types to become proficient.

NL 6max SnG's & MTT will be that focus. I'm primarily going to focus on Poker770 because of the buy-in being as low as 10c for 6max SnG's and a lot of free MTTs. I still have a pokerstars account and have 7.50$ from my bankroll builder promo. Im going continue playing zoom on pokerstars but only recreationally.

I've also decided to do try and do more learning in the mornings and more playing at night. One reason for this is because the coaching sessions usually line up in the morning on my time schedule. Another reason is because players seem to be a little bit worse doing the night time, or I play better at the night time. Either way I seem to be more profitable at night.

I have also discovered a program called Poker Ranger. It has a nice equity training tool. So i have ICM trainer and Poker Ranger equity tool to help me train my equity % vs certain ranges. I mostly focus my range on the SHC and my opponents on the SHC & a very wide range(so i have 2 ranges my opponent can fit in, SHC & Random).

Below i'll post some graphs with my progress for my "fun" zoom tables and my "serious" SnG tables.

Oh yea, PS: I won a 21E ticket buy in on poker770.
    • sc2zerker
      sc2zerker
      Bronze
      NL 6max SnG

Zoom Tables
    • sc2zerker
      sc2zerker
      Bronze
      quick update, just reached silver status yay!
    • BYOBToBBQ
      BYOBToBBQ
      Bronze
      Good luck mate, was in the same situation than you a few month ago! also started from freeroll money and played 0.1$ SNGs. I'm sure you'll do it!
    • sc2zerker
      sc2zerker
      Bronze
      Originally posted by BYOBToBBQ
      Good luck mate, was in the same situation than you a few month ago! also started from freeroll money and played 0.1$ SNGs. I'm sure you'll do it!
      Thanks!
    • sc2zerker
      sc2zerker
      Bronze
      Originally posted by BYOBToBBQ
      Thanks !
    • martoman2k10
      martoman2k10
      Bronze
      Win some money on stars, take it out and deposit to a room you havent played at. Look for best rewards (some may not be on this site.) and bonus whore. That's how I started from $0! :)
    • pppppp555555
      pppppp555555
      Bronze
      I am too starting one more time from zero. Almost 1 mont grinding Poker School Open Skill Legue on pokerstars. AAfter month they will give money for earned points. Probably will get 1 bux and then will go to FR FL9 players tabels 2/4 ct. It is hell to make it from zero. But gl to all 2ho tries :club:
    • sc2zerker
      sc2zerker
      Bronze
      Thanks pppppp555555 and martoman2k10! I might going keep my money on stars because it is my fun account. I'll make sure to post my progress soon! Although it is kinda depressing :)
    • sc2zerker
      sc2zerker
      Bronze
      Blog #3

Long time no blog. Time to update you guys on i've been up too. I lost all my Pokerstar money from my bankroll builder(-8$). Mainly due to poor bankroll management and playing games i shouldn't(zoom cash games). I've also lost 5$ on my poker770 account. A lesson happily learned with the free money i was given.

Spent my 21$ ticket I won from my freeroll and lost with my KK to TT. If It would of hold I would of won over 5x my bankroll!!! lol :( Overall losing a lot of money but learning so much. I've tighten my range on my SnGs and started using the ICM trainer to really get into my ranges for bubble and HU play. Also a lot of ICM training for 2-5man low blind situation.

I also downloaded PT4 because my HM2 trail ran out. Im enjoy pt4 a lot but it has a very bright skin. I enjoy the dark skin from HM2 because of the easiness on my eyes. flip side though, PT4 seems to be very easier to use. On the topic of programs i've also downloaded a trail of pokerranger which is alright but seems to be beyond my level. equilab is a great tool that i have been using with PT4 and ICM trainer. I also download SnG wizard trail and it nice to review some games.

I still haven't deposited any money into an account yet. I'm fairly happy with myself that I have not yet! There is so much more stuff to learn and improve my game.

New goals!

1) Have 0%+ ROI!
      2) Stay motivated and focus!
      3) keep my starting goals :)

Below i'll post a graph, it's strictly my 6max SnGs.

Ps, i started using my reading glasses because of headaches, which have no gone away :)
    • sc2zerker
      sc2zerker
      Bronze
    • sc2zerker
      sc2zerker
      Bronze
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey zerker,

Do you table select. Once you have a decent database of hands in PT4, you can start to isolate the fish from the regs and chase the fishier lineups. This is not so important now but will become more important every time you limit up.

If you start to play ICM/Nash push/fold against good regs, you'll breakeven long term (with swings due to variance). The fish and bad regs are where the money and ultimately the majority of your profit will come from.

Losing with the overpair allin always hurts, but you also have to remember allin preflop is still Russian Roulette in it's own way. Even if you're 80-20 favourite, sooner or later the chamber is going to be loaded when you pull the trigger.

Lol. You are probably getting headaches from trying to take in too much too quickly, but I do love the way you are getting into the ICM training. It is just so important in ST SnGs.

Keep working hard and you'll soon see improvement in that graph.

Happy Grinding

Laz
    • sc2zerker
      sc2zerker
      Bronze
      Thanks for the tips and motivation lazza! cant table select right now but will keep in mind for future limits!
    • sc2zerker
      sc2zerker
      Bronze
      Blog #4

Hey guys! Another blog post even though i just posted 2 days!

Played a lot of poker today, i think 11 straight hours. Not too bad. Play a lot of freerolls in the afternoon / night and some 6max SnGs in the morning. I'll post the results below. Im really happy right now because i just won my biggest cash prize (1.99$). I came in 1st place in a 10$ freeroll which was awesome. I also won a bunch of freeroll tokens for free 2.20$ / 5.50$ buy ins. Hopefully i can win with one of the tokens i won to improve my bankroll so i can keep playing the 6max SnGs to improve my game.

Not talking about my results i learned that 3-betting is actually just a re-raise. I thought it was a re-re-raise. The way it was explained that the BB is actually the first raise to the SB. So if you raise 3BB, you are 2betting. If you re-raise someone's original raise(you are 3 betting!). I find this extremely helpful information to know because now I don't think the 3bet stat on my HuD is useless anymore! LoL!

I also joined Lazza's skype group and they have been a very friendly bunch. When I get bored or have a question that I dont want to post on PS, I can message the group on skype. Its also nice to have a bunch of people you can talk to. Apart from skype I listened to classical music all day.
    • sc2zerker
      sc2zerker
      Bronze
    • sc2zerker
      sc2zerker
      Bronze
    • sc2zerker
      sc2zerker
      Bronze