This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Harder to put villiains on ranges in 6 max?

• maca1214
      maca1214
      Bronze
      Hi. I only ever played 6 max, never full ring. But I once heard a guy ask a pro
      in chat whether he prefers 6max or full ring and his reply was full ring because it's harder to put villains on ranges in 6 max.
      It made me wonder how true that is and also if it's true how do you combat it?
      As I say it just made me wonder and wonder what your guys thoughts are on that?
  • 4 replies
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      I doubt it has as much to do with game format as it does with the level of competition. 6max is essentially just fullring minus the 3 earliest seats. Average vpip/pfr might be ~14/12 in a fullring game but closer to 23/21 in a 6max game for example - people are just playing looser in general and in order to do that you'll probably need to be a better player. Good players are good because people make mistakes against them and they can exploit those mistakes, so in 6max the competition is probably overall tougher on average. I don't really think 6max is a different game to fullring, it's just a different environment.

"How do you combat it?" is probably the same as asking "how do you get better at poker?" :D
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      no one ever has anything, so just 3barrel and 3bet/5bet preflop randomly!

now seriously, i actually wonder if fullring is considerably softer to some extent. i mean, sometimes it feels like all the good regs are playing SH :f_biggrin: just look around...
    • patszerdonk
      patszerdonk
      Bronze
      ofcourse its harder in SH than FR because people playing looser
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Is SH harder than FR? Of course! The same way HU is harder than 6max. Why?
      Ranges are wider = Harder to hand-read

SH regs are more accustomed to having wider bluffing and value betting ranges = harder to play against. On the contrary, FR players (except the best regs at mid stakes/high stakes FR games) are in general very nitty and not bluffing enough in a ton of spots.

Why are all the best regs playing SH? Because player pool is limited at high stakes and it's way harder to form a table with 9 players as opposed to 6 players. FR virtually doesn't run. And any strong FR reg at NL100/200 who wishes to play higher would eventually switch anyway cos of the lack of action.