NIVEKii anno 2015 - No more f-ing goals for me!

• NIVEKii
      NIVEKii
      Bronze
      Hi, it's me again. Who again? Me again. Don't worry, no need to feel emberassed, as a former moderator on these boards I'm pretty sure it's only those (ex-)moderators that know and love me. Right guys?

ANYHOW.

The idea of this blog is, just like any other blog, to track my results and to have to live with the public shame if I don't manage to complete my goals. Peer pressure guys, it's been around for ages, use it on me so I don't go slacking off! Thanks.

For all the Belgian readers: Ahum ahum ahum. Aan allen die nog aan het lezen zijn, proficiat. Aan allen die niet meer aan het lezen zijn, euhm, ook proficiat!

Over the years I've played pretty much every FL, NL, PLO and SNG format around. For some reason I keep getting back to sng. Don't ask me why, I just enjoy them the most.

As any other fool, I always thought I was good enough to make some money off poker that I could blow on beers and other things that make me happy. As any other fool, I was wrong, egocentric and unwilling to improve. NO MORE!

To celebrate my latest aha erlebnis I resey my Sharkscope stats to start counting my games from October 17 onwards. Tim64 saw how much I was down before that and he'll be able to confirm it wasn't a pretty sight at all. If he finds my blog of course!

I've talked to a couple of sng coaches -one of them being Tim64-, well respected ones in this community, and I booked two 2-hour sessions for next week. It's the first time I've actually booked 1on1 coaching so I'm pretty nervous. I'm willing to really work on my game, now more than ever, so I'm confident that I'm at least going to get better! I think that was my main problem earlier in my 'career', thinking I could do it on my own rather than seek help and find people who can help me.

To have something to talk about in the first hour(s) I decided to play some games in my starting format of choice: 9max Turbo. I'm starting on the $1.5 level with a healthy 200bi roll. My goal is to become a solid winner in these games so I can become financially more independent. Some might say that's not the right attitude to approach poker, but I respectfully disagree. In my opinion, anyone who says he's not in it for the money is either lying or brainwashed. This is a business like any other and I'm not ashamed to want to have my share of the loot. Hopefully I'll get there!

Oh yeah, up until now I played 15 sng's and I hit a golden one on my 9th. Which I shipped. Beat that grinders!

Obligatory picture of my 'games so far'

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I'm currently training to become a part of the Belgian national lacrosse team. Stakes: a spot on the 23-man roster for the World Championships next year in Denver, CO! If there's interest, I'm more than happy to blog about that as well.
  • 41 replies
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Kevin!

How dare you sneak in here!

Nice profit on those 15 games, can I borrow some run good?

Good luck with this blog and on the road to Denver :)
    • NIVEKii
      NIVEKii
      Bronze
      Just arrived at work and the coaching is already on my mind. This will be a productive day at the office! :f_p: All in all I managed to play 40 games, so I'm sure we'll have something to talk about.

As for Denver mister HollyMichelle, there are currently two goalies competing for one spot, so things could go either way. I'm pretty confident I'm the better of the two, so I'm putting my money on myself ;) .

I hope 40 games is sufficient to pick up some of my tendencies that are wrong, because it isn't a big sample. Really really looking forward to tonight and tomorrow though. Only that real life work grind and a session with my personal trainer to plow through and I'm ready to crush!

(Again the obligatory pic)

• NIVEKii
      NIVEKii
      Bronze
      Also, in light of my goals to take this more seriously I just made a schedule for this week where I divided personal time, playing time, coaching time and reviewing time.

Just for this week, I want to see how well I can adapt to set moments where I play. Up until now it's been when I wanted it. Plus side is I can get better volume in and can schedule other things around my playing time. Minus side is I'll have to play even on moments where I'd rather watch a movie or something.

This will be the perfect opportunity to see how the +/- sides correlate and if it needs adjustment going in next week. Siked!

Playing: 16h
      Coaching: 4h
      Reviewing: 2h

Obviously the coaching part also has playing and reviewing time.
    • NIVEKii
      NIVEKii
      Bronze
      Just finished the first two hour session with Ghaleon. I 4-tabled Wow, I'm really still on first level thinking. I'm going to watch the recording of that coaching again once it's available, because there's much to let sink in.

He sweated me for a good two hours and only used the words 'terrible' only once! :f_biggrin: Next to that he introduced me to HoldemResources Calculator and gave some things I could put on my to do list:

:diamond: Find and print the HU Nash pushing charts
      :diamond: Start working on creating a custom hud and using additional hud filters to account for being 5-handed, 4-handed etc (obv with ranges, like 4-6 handed)
      :diamond: Start using HoldemResources Calculator

I have another coaching tomorrow so it'll be a lot to apply, but I'm up for the task! In the mean time, grind grind grind!
    • NIVEKii
      NIVEKii
      Bronze
      On a side note, any 9m (or 6m) Turbo player that wants to do some sweat sessions every once in a while, feel free to add me to the community tool so we can exchange Skype details!

I just received the recording of yesterday and am planning on rewatching it asap!
    • NIVEKii
      NIVEKii
      Bronze
      I had the second coaching session yesterday, this time with Tim64. Two hours long, we went over some spots I encountered in previous sng's and a live sweat where he bombarded me with questions to allow me to think more deeply about my moves and why exactly I made them.

Very solid stuff from both coaches, I'm happy I invested quite a lot of bi for these four hours (I still have like 170bi left anyhow) as they'll allow me to be more prepared for the upcoming days ands weeks.

Unfortunately my good start didn't continue and I'm down to a 1.5% ROI in 80 games. Still peanuts and I'm not too worried :) . Thanks to my Golden sng win I'm still in the green and that's what counts. Although I really like updating with a screenshot of my graph, I'll just update every Sunday with results. I'll also try to use HRC and other programs to go into spots where I wasn't sure what to do.

I also changed the title of my blog. I'm honestly thinking of pursuing Supernova next year IF

1) I get to the $7 9max Turbo's by January 1
      2) I'm comfortable enough to at least 12-table them

I even made a day-to-day projection on how many games I'd have to play in order to get there. Not an issue at the moment as I first need to be able to win at the $1.5s and the $3.5s. I'm confident I will, thanks to the valuable information I got out of the coaching sessions.

• justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      Always love following these blogs of MODS :)

Goodluck!!!
    • NIVEKii
      NIVEKii
      Bronze
      Oh boy, only a week in and I'm not updating anymore. Good start right? WRONG!

I've continued to play some 9max Turbo sng's because those were the games I took coaching for, a total of four hours (the latest coaching with Tim64 was postponed).

I didn't do too good resultswise and I immediately started to doubt myself as a player. And here I was thinking I'd be ok with the mental part. Ah well. Here's the results of my first 130 games:

On Saturday I suddenly had the major urge to make Silverstar on PokerStars and Gold status here on PokerStrategy. So what did I do? I fired up 4 tables of 10nl FR Zoom and was preparing for some epic grindaments! I needed around 270 VPP to make it and wanted to make it before the weekend was over.

Needless to say I managed to squeeze in over 8,000 hands on Saturday, 'only' needing ~4,500 on Sunday to get that much wanted Silverstar status. It's in the little things :)

I did abandon my sng quest for Zoom and right now I don't know what to do. To clarify this statement, here is my graph of the Zoom action from Saturday-Sunday-Monday.

So yeah, I think I'll keep nitting it up at least until Movember hits. See how long this keeps going :) .
    • holmeboy
      holmeboy
      Bronze
      I was just about to change my blog to a 'Prep for SN run' then I see your title... Great minds etc!

Good luck :f_thumbsup:
    • NIVEKii
      NIVEKii
      Bronze
      Another months in the books. I started out playing 9max Turbo sng's but as you can see in the posts above this one, despite coaching, I did not do too good in them.

I've been nitting it up on FR 10nl Zoom since last Friday, managed to get Silverstar on Stars and Gold status here. After all, not too bad of a month!

Hands played: 20,107
      Profit: $113.34
      Winrate / EV winrate: 5.64bb/100 ; 3.71bb/100
      Hourly: $6.66 ( :f_eek: )
      VPPs accumulated: 520.34
      Bonuses: €10 (3,000 yearly VPPs)

November goals

:diamond: 100,000 hands
      :diamond: 3.5bb/100 EV
      :diamond: 2,500 VPP (aka Goldstar)

November will be a month where I'll train on getting in higher volume, which will be an absolutely must in my preparation for Supernova next year. I need to be winning as well, because I will not make it if I stay on 10nl. Moving up through the year will have to happen!
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      subbed!

nice graph and good luck with your goals!
    • NIVEKii
      NIVEKii
      Bronze
      Today was a weird day. Perfect first session, total opposite second session. At least I'm right on pace for my November goals :) . Between the brackets is how much I'm ahead/behind on schedule.

:diamond: 4,344 hands (+1,011) :f_biggrin:
      :diamond: 5.80bb/100 EV (+2.30) :f_biggrin:
      :diamond: 111.16 VPP (+27.83) :f_biggrin:
      :club: -3.67bb/100 :f_frown:

:f_cool:
    • NIVEKii
      NIVEKii
      Bronze
      And the quest continues!

:diamond: 8,654 hands (+1,988) :f_biggrin:
      :diamond: 4.54bb/100 EV (+1.04) :f_biggrin:
      :diamond: 212.23 VPP (+45.56) :f_biggrin:
      :club: -4.85bb/100 :f_frown:

:f_eek:
    • NIVEKii
      NIVEKii
      Bronze
      Well, since I only have to play my league lacrosse game tomorrow at 14.00 CET, I'm diving into another session. Let's get way past the 'on schedule' and hit that 100k well before the end of the month!

/grindmode ON
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Don't burn yourself out!
    • NIVEKii
      NIVEKii
      Bronze
      Hahaha, looking back on the fool I was. :f_drink:
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      so, what are your thoughts when looking back? :P
    • NIVEKii
      NIVEKii
      Bronze
      :spade: I was a newbie and will always be a newbie
      :spade: I actually made it to Denver and competed for Belgium in the World Championships. So my 2014 was a success!
      :spade: I should probably try to get to Supernova again in 2016 :f_thumbsup:
      :heart: That two day 10nl FR Zoom graph looks kind of sexy.

I started playing poker again though, and it is the exact same story as the beginning of this blog. Was playing 9max Turbo's. Did ok EV wise, couldn't stand them lasting for 40-60 minutes and now I'm at the Zoom tables again. Playing on a Macbook with Pokertracker 4 so no hud for me, which is alright. I smell another run coming! Maybe a Halfnova challenge or something.
    • NIVEKii
      NIVEKii
      Bronze
      Screw it, I'm doing some August challenges. So far I played a little bit of everything, from 2nl FR Zoom drunk to 9m $1.5 Turbo sng's to 6max hypers and HU hypers. I can blame the HU hypers on the fact that I needed to practice for the HU Championships :f_biggrin: .

I've actually managed to stay with one game type the last couple of days, namely the 2nl SH Zoom tables. It is there that I will focus on at least until the end of August. Let's not wait any longer, here's my small challenges!

:spade: Play 31,000 hands
      :spade: Have a 4BB/100 ev winrate
      :spade: Get 248 VPP for the month of August (and brag with my Chromestar status)
      :spade: HAVE FUN PLAYING THIS GAME

I just finished a small midnight session and here are the stats from August 12 until now. Mind you I work 50 hours a week as a line cook in a fast casual restaurant in downtown Toronto, so I'm finding it hard to fit in a lot of grind time. Challenges are supposed to be challenging, even the small ones!

:heart: 4,232 hands (-9,768) :f_cry:
      :heart: 15.10BB/100 (+11.10) :f_biggrin:
      :heart: 65.11 VPP(-46.89) :f_cry:
      :heart: Still enjoying this game! :f_biggrin: