Rhinoneil - getting serious

• rhinoneil
      rhinoneil
      Bronze
      After 4 years of playing poker I have decided to get serious about it.
      I love the game, the mental stimulation and the idea of out-thinking an opponent.
      Historically I have played tournament poker almost exclusively with only minor fruitless excursions into cash poker.
      I think though that in order to make any real money and potentially a career from poker, it is essential to play cash games regularly and successfully.

Anyone who has read my previous blog will know that whilst I rate myself quite highly in playing tournament poker, I have never taken it that seriously. I have played against some of the best players in the world and to be honest felt that I was more than a match for them. Thing is, they are making millions from poker and I am not.

I have decided therefore to re-launch my poker career with a plan to play short handed, big stack strategy cash games with an occasional sortie into mtts. I have to keep the mtts in there because I love the buzz of them and the fact that it is possible to win big for a small investment. I will be playing at Titan, Stars and Ladbrokes.

I am going to start on the NL50 and NL100 tables and attempt to build a bankroll big enough to move up to higher stakes. Initially I intend to single table as I need to concentrate and I will use the Elephant SW to help me.

As a bit of background, I dont play poker full time. I am 45 and my day is mostly taken up with running a recruitment business. I am married with a 4 year old daughter which also precludes me from playing poker until around 8pm. So my new hours of work for my poker career will be 8pm - late. I will try to play every day where possible. My business commitments mean that two or three times a month I am attending evening meetings away from home. On these occasions I like to play live poker, usually at the Vic, so those sessions will form part of my new strategy.

I intend to use this blog to record my success or failure and also to give you an account of my live playing experiences. Playing at the Vic is something that every serious poker player should try. The standard is generally very high with regulars including the likes of Neil Channing, Willie Tann, Vicky Coren and Rumit Sommaya who I met last week.

I will also post sample hands in the appropriate section once I can sort out a converter.

I am hoping that the people who read and enjoyed my poker million blog will read this and can take part im my ultimate success or demise - let me tell you it could go either way.

Anyone wishing to post any advice is most welcome, I really do need all the help I can get.
  • 31 replies
    • slikec
      slikec
      Global
      I loved your blog and yes you played damn well those MMTs ;) Wish you all best trying to conquer poker olimp. I am sure i will love reading your blog ;)
    • TribunCaesar
      TribunCaesar
      Bronze
      Hey rhinoneil,

nice to see that you have started to write a new blog. I'll read it for sure.
      My first advise^^: I would start on NL 25SH to get used to the more or less new game. As soon as you feel comfortable you can climb up the limits.
      second advise: Really stick to BRM, it'll save your poker life.

Best regards,
      TribunCaesar
    • rhinoneil
      rhinoneil
      Bronze
      OK. First dabble today, not a particularly long session.
      Played 137 hands at NL50.
      Still working out how to cut and paste info from Elephant but at least the info is here:

Day Hands $ overall Big Blinds overall BigBlinds/100
      22/09/2008 137 $32.48 64.96 47.42

Made most of the profit such as it is from pre flop raises with suited connectors which fortunately connected on the flop. One going to showdown against trip Kings and the other taking down the pot with an all in reraise on the flop.

Managed to bluff of a little of the profit and also got river donked but there you go.
    • TheBu11d0g
      TheBu11d0g
      Bronze
      hi rhinoneil,

great start to the post and i will enjoy reading this. all the best on your journey and may the luck run your way on the felt.
    • rhinoneil
      rhinoneil
      Bronze
      Known players:
      SB:
      $63.65
      BB:
      $49.25
      MP2:
      $55.50
      MP3:
      $57.29
      Hero:
      $58.95
      BU:
      $30.48

0.25/0.5 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.60 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is CO with 6:diamond: , 5:diamond:
      2 folds, Hero raises to $1.50, BU folds, SB raises to $5.00, BB folds, Hero calls $3.50.

Flop: ($10.50) 7:diamond: , 2:diamond: , 4:club: (2 players)
      SB bets $7.00, Hero calls $7.00.

Turn: ($24.50) K:club: (2 players)
      SB bets $15.00, Hero raises to $46.95 (All-In), SB calls $31.95.

River: ($118.40) 8:diamond:

Final Pot: $118.40

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows a flush, eight high (6d 5d)
      SB shows three of a kind, kings (Kh Kd)

Hero wins with a flush, eight high (6d 5d)

I guess you could question my call to th SB re-raise but I did it on the basis that the whole table was pretty tight and I figured the guy for a big pair knowing that if I hit I am going to take the lot.
      As it turned out on the flop I had and open ender and the flush draw and from that point there was no doubt in my mind that all the money was going in.
    • Snodreliss
      Snodreliss
      Bronze
      I don't like calling pf.
      As played I re-raise flop 21$ and go broke.
    • TribunCaesar
      TribunCaesar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Snodreliss
      I don't like calling pf.
      As played I re-raise flop 21$ and go broke.

Same here. I don't like calling pre or calling on the flop.
    • Sasa1234
      Sasa1234
      Bronze
      I hope we'll see graphs of some sessions :)
    • rhinoneil
      rhinoneil
      Bronze
      Playing at moment, had AA early on, lost to trip 4s but luckily not all in. Since then had KK 4 times in 15 mins at the same table can you believe that? BTW everyone folded to my standard raise each time. Beginning to think my cards are see through. If not guess I must be easy to read.
    • rhinoneil
      rhinoneil
      Bronze
      literally 1 minute later, KK again thats 5 times in less than 20 mins. This time got a reraise and managed to get him to call my all in with JJ so repairs the loss with AA
    • rhinoneil
      rhinoneil
      Bronze
      If anyone out there is any good with odds, please tell me what are the odds on getting KK 5 times in 25 mins at the same single table. I reckon its about 500 trillion to 1 but I am no maths genius.
    • rhinoneil
      rhinoneil
      Bronze
      Well very strange night. Twice lost with AA both times against 44. Ended up getting KK 6 times and won with all of them. The losses with AA pretty much wiped out my good work for the night though.
      Played 202 hands for $20.20 profit thats 10c per hand.
    • delete461
      delete461
      Bronze
      Odds of getting KK 5 times in a row: 1 in 500 billion
      The odds of getting it 5 times in 25 mins depends on how many hands played in that time

good luck rhinoneil and nice blog, its nice to know I am not the oldest person in this community. Starting to feel like an old man amongst these guys and Im only 32 lol
    • rhinoneil
      rhinoneil
      Bronze
      LOL
      Thanks delete, I think old bastards like me still have something to offer.
      As regards the KK, first one was dealt at 21.23, the fifth at 21.49 and in that time I was dealt 45 hands.
    • rhinoneil
      rhinoneil
      Bronze
      Oh dear, you know when you just have one of those days?
      I played really poorly and didnt recognise it until it was too late. When you are playing bad, you just have to stop and try again another day, but no! of course I know better so I have to carry on. Muppet!!
      Managed to lose $37 from the big blind in an unraised pot with A10os after hitting top pair.
      Didnt see the straight draw and even when it was obvious that I was behind I was just too stubborn to fold. At that point I probably should have just given up. Managed to claw some back but still finished the session of 276 hands down $33.45.
      I cant even complain about bad beats or bad luck. Just really poor judgement, lack of respect for my opponents and the age old fuck up of having a feeling that you are winning when you know mathematically you cant be. Play like a novice, lose like one too.
      On a positive note, had an invitation from building magazine to play in their annual tournament at the Vic (Grosvenor Victoria) next month. £250 entry, 60 players, first place gets £6000, top 3 only paid with a third of prize pool going to a childrens charity. Of course I'm in!
      In addition the top man at Building is offering a £4000 watch to whoever knocks him out. He is not a great player so there will be a queue. If I dont do it, my friend Bill will be there so he will probably knock him out in the other sense of the word.
      I came 5th in this last year, running QQ into the mighty A6os which hit 2 pairs on the flop, doh!
      Played the PS league last night too, went out with 10 10 v A9clubs, dont mind that, take them odds any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
    • rhinoneil
      rhinoneil
      Bronze
      Oh the poker gods were smiling on me last night.
      After a nightmare the night before, I stepped up a level to NL100 and played some pretty good TAG poker.
      Went with the strategy of making no calls at all, either raise or fold only.
      Folded mostly and raised in position with either made hands or playable draws.
      The beauty of this of course is that when you do raise you get respect and can steal a few pots along the way. What you need to make it really work though is a few good hands, which I found last night.
      Was pretty card dead early on which helped build the tight image anyway. I have a new tactic now for being card dead. I will wait til I'm pretty sure my image is right, 20 - 30 hands maybe, and if I still havent a raising hand I will raise any two cards out of position.
      Normally, the fact that I have been so tight is enough to get it through. If not, I have either run into a genuine hand or the respect isnt there, either way I learn something.
      I reckon its possible to raise 2 or 3 hands on the spin if your image is right.
      Now if you happen to hit a monster on the 3rd or 4th hand, well that is just heaven cuz by then, nobody believes you.
      Last night I caught a few non believers which was pure bliss.
      In total played 155 hands for a profit of $215. I LOVE THIS GAME AGAIN
    • rhinoneil
      rhinoneil
      Bronze
      I didnt play a single hand over the weekend. Had the father-in-law staying from Fri til today. I am itching to play, its worse than my coke addiction, get the highs and the lows and cant cope without it for more than 2 days.
    • rhinoneil
      rhinoneil
      Bronze
      Poker is great, but I have to remember that all it takes is one mistake, one slip in concentration and it can really cost you. In tournament poker it is often the case that one error can boot you out of the tourney, but if you are single tabling its easy to move on to the next table.
      In cash games, it can ruin a whole nights work.
      Tonight I played 298 hands of excellent poker, even though I do say so myself and was $156 up and looking good. I started playing at 8, two tabling at NL100, and at 9.55 decided I would carry on until 10 then walk away with whatever profit I had.
      Of course, a minute later I managed to mess it up.
      Hand 299, I make the call from middle position with 44, SB calls, BB checks.
      Flop is 4d,Jd,7s. BB bets out $3, I raise to $9, he reraises to $33. Hmmm I think, what is he checking in the BB with which he now feels like reraising me with? I decide that he must be on the flush draw so I push to take him off it. He thinks for a while then calls all in. What has he got? 77 thats what!
      What do they say about never going bust in an unraised pot?
      I think I have found a serious flaw in my game. I am too quick to put someone on a particular hand and once I make my mind up about it, I am either too short sighted or just too stubborn to see that its the wrong call.
      I will have to have another look at this aspect of my game and make a concious effort to re-analyze according to each betting response.
      Anyway, the upshot is that I finished the night only $28 up. I suppose that finishing a session in profit should be considered a success but I know it should have been a lot better.
      Incidentally, I watched Devilfish last week playing in a tv tournament. He was my first hero of poker from the days of watching Late Night Poker and I had the pleasure of meeting him when I played the Poker Million. He was strutting through the hotel looking like he owned the place. I dont think I have ever met anyone with such confidence in his own ability. Anyway, I watched this tourny and it was unbelievable how many times he called the exact hand that his opponent was holding. I mean seriously unbelievable. This guy is just amazing. I know he has a huge amount of experience but even so, his ability to read an opponent not just their visible tells but the way they bet and play a hand is just phenomenal. Some people say that the fish has lost it, that he has had his day and cant compete with the new wave of internet pros, but I say thats just what they want to believe. Watching him, I realise that I have an awful lot to learn!
    • rhinoneil
      rhinoneil
      Bronze
      Nightmare session tonight. I couldnt win a hand, everything went wrong, nothing hit. Played 60 hands for a loss of $122 so gave up for the night. I dont want to start chasing losses because that will lead to making poor decisions.