SSS still learning - progress report

• regisek
      regisek
      Bronze
      Hello ! ;)
      My very first “progress” report after moving to stars. My bankroll is at the moment at $140. Started on stars with $100. Then hit the S’n’G tables where I got hit with a huge bad run and went down to $60, then I decided that I should repair my bankroll and went for SSS on NL25. Got the bankroll repaired to up to $130, and then I hit another bad swing and ended up with $40. (+100 bonus = 140). Since I reveived that bonus, and my bankroll is looking kinda nice again I feel the need to step back, and analyze my SSS play. After something around 7600 SSS hands on NL25. So that the bankroll goes up and stays up. The graph shows:

Although, it is not entirely accurate. The first 671 hands from first two days were more like 2600 hands. I couldn’t find the feature to save my hand history in Stars software ;) Hence the gap, because stars only send the actual hands I was involved in. Cutting to the chase, at the moment I am at $-11.9 which translates to -0.62 BB/100.

1) Before I even begin, I know my cardinal sin… playing way to many marginal hands, that are not on SHC. Lets begin from here. SHC includes 8.5% of all starting hands, therefore I shouldn’t be playing the rest 91.5% of hands with exception of a free play situation from BB. After selecting inverted SHC hand range in Elephant I got quite unsurprising result, which is $-166 -> -12.84 BB/100.

Some examples of stupid play, missed draws and hands I shouldn’t be in the first place.

1)
      I shouldn’t be there, but… after the flop I had a nut flush draw that didn’t make it. Didn’t stick up to SHC.

0,1/0,25 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.60 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with 8:spade: , A:spade:
      UTG+1 folds, Hero calls $0,25, MP1 folds, MP2 raises to $1,00, 5 folds, Hero calls $0,75.

Flop: ($2,35) 2:spade: , 6:club: , 4:spade: (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP2 bets $1,50, Hero raises to $4,00 (All-In), MP2 calls $2,50.

Final Pot: $10,35

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows a pair of eights (8s As)
      MP2 shows a straight, eight high (5s 5c)

MP2 wins with a straight, eight high (5s 5c)

2) A9s in BB, raise from MP1.. clear fold.

Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.60 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is BB with A:club: , 9:club: . UTG+1 posts a blind of $0,25.
      UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 folds, MP1 raises to $1,00, MP2 calls $1,00, 4 folds, Hero calls $0,75, UTG+1 folds.

Flop: ($3,35) 8:spade: , T:spade: , J:diamond: (3 players)
      Hero checks, MP1 bets $2,00, MP2 folds, Hero raises to $4,00 (All-In), MP1 raises to $3,65 (All-In), Hero gets uncalled bet back..

Final Pot: $10,65

Hero shows a pair of nines (Ac 9c)
      MP1 shows a pair of aces (As Ah)

MP1 wins with a pair of aces (As Ah)

There are hands that make it to the end too:
      3) Hit the jackpot on the flop.
      0,1/0,25 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with T:heart: , A:heart:
      Hero calls $0,25, MP1 raises to $0,50, MP2 folds, MP3 calls $0,50, 2 folds, SB calls $0,40, BB calls $0,25, Hero calls $0,25.

Flop: ($2,50) K:heart: , 7:heart: , 2:heart: (5 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks, MP1 bets $1,75, 3 folds, Hero calls $1,75.

Turn: ($6,00) 4:club: (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP1 bets $0,25, Hero raises to $1,00, MP1 calls $0,75.

River: ($8,00) Q:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $1,75 (All-In), MP1 calls $1,75.

Final Pot: $11,50

Hero shows a flush, ace high (Th Ah)
      MP1 shows a pair of kings (Ks 8s)

Hero wins with a flush, ace high (Th Ah)

4) Trips..

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 6:diamond: , 6:heart:
      2 folds, Hero calls $0,25, 5 folds, BB checks.

Flop: ($0,60) 6:club: , 9:diamond: , J:diamond: (2 players)
      BB bets $0,50, Hero raises to $2,00, BB raises to $5,25, Hero raises to $4,75 (All-In), BB gets uncalled bet back..

Final Pot: $10,10

Hero shows three of a kind, sixes (6d 6h)
      BB shows two pairs, jacks and nines (9s Jh)

Hero wins with three of a kind, sixes (6d 6h)

Summary is somewhat simple. Stick to the SHC. Because I’ve been in hands I had no business in being in lost exactly $110. That’s after adding up those non-SHC hands that made it + non-SHC that didn’t made it. If I stayed only to freeplay from blinds I would have turned that -$160 into only -$70, giving my bankroll a healthy boost of $90.

Part 2. SHC hands played badly etc etc.

Even though I had my share of suckouts, badly played hands etc I am still on $+160 from only the SHC played cards. Now, conclusion, and some sample hands.

My favourite:

5) After hitting Aces I doubled, left myself with nice $10 stack. Then dealer gave me AK.
      First mistake was staying in game with 40BB stack, second mistake was not rising that hand from CO, that way I encouraged MP2 to stay and see a cheap flop even with his weak holding. After the flop, third mistake, I raised a little bit to low giving him a bit too good pot odds even with his gutshot. Fourth mistake was not running after his reraise on turn. Am I right?;)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K:spade: , A:diamond:
      3 folds, MP2 calls $0,25, MP3 folds, Hero calls $0,25, BU calls $0,25, SB calls $0,15, BB checks.

Flop: ($1,25) 7:heart: , T:spade: , K:heart: (5 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, MP2 checks, Hero bets $1,00, 3 folds, MP2 calls $1,00.

Turn: ($3,25) 8:club: (2 players)
      MP2 checks, Hero bets $3,00, MP2 raises to $6,00, Hero raises to $8,55 (All-In), MP2 calls $2,55.

River: ($20,35) Q:club:

Final Pot: $20,35

Hero shows a pair of kings (Ks Ad)
      MP2 shows a straight, king high (9d Js)

MP2 wins with a straight, king high (9d Js)

Another nice one:
      6) How not to slowplay aces:

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A:club: , A:heart: . MP3 posts a blind of $0,25. CO posts a blind of $0,25.
      3 folds, Hero raises to $0,50, 4 folds, BB calls $0,25.

Flop: ($1,60) 3:diamond: , 4:club: , 8:heart: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0,50, BB calls $0,50.

Turn: ($2,60) 7:club: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $1,00, BB raises to $3,75, Hero raises to $3,75 (All-In).

River: ($10,10) 4:diamond: (1 players)
      BB gets uncalled bet back..

Final Pot: $10,10

Hero shows two pairs, aces and fours (Ac Ah)
      BB shows a straight, eight high (5h 6c)

BB wins with a straight, eight high (5h 6c)

7) Pocket nines.. yay
      Raise ok, 4BB + 1BB for a one limper. Calling reraise, bad. I had 4.2 remaining money to original raise.. thus fold.

0,1/0,25 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BU with 9:spade: , 9:heart:
      4 folds, CO calls $0,25, Hero raises to $1,25, SB calls $1,15, BB folds, CO raises to $6,00, Hero raises to $5,25 (All-In), SB calls $4,75.

Flop: ($17,50) K:club: , T:diamond: , 8:spade: (2 players)
      SB checks, CO bets $6,10 (All-In), SB calls $6,10.

Final Pot: $29,70

Hero shows two pairs, nines and eights (9s 9h)
      SB shows three of a kind, eights (8h Ah)
      CO shows two pairs, tens and eights (Js Ts)

SB wins with three of a kind, eights (8h Ah)

8) Suck me out some more:

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A:club: , A:heart:
      UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls $0,25, Hero raises to $0,75, MP2 folds, MP3 calls $0,75, CO folds, BU calls $0,75, SB folds, BB calls $0,50, UTG+2 calls $0,50.

Flop: ($3,85) 4:club: , 5:spade: , 3:heart: (5 players)
      BB checks, UTG+2 checks, Hero bets $4,25 (All-In), MP3 calls $4,25, 2 folds, UTG+2 raises to $8,50, MP3 calls $4,25.

Turn: ($25,10) K:club: (2 players)
      UTG+2 bets $16,35 (All-In), MP3 raises to $9,10 (All-In), UTG+2 gets uncalled bet back..

River: ($43,30) Q:club:

Final Pot: $43,30

Hero shows a pair of aces (Ac Ah)
      MP3 shows a pair of sixes (6d 6s)
      UTG+2 shows three of a kind, fours (4h 4s)

UTG+2 wins with three of a kind, fours (4h 4s)

What can I say. Even with those suckouts and bad plays I am still on $+160 from SHC hands. Playing those ~50 hands that correctly would have made me around $160, and playing correctly hands I hit the jackpot would have made me a $40 less. To a total of $120 on plus side.

SHC hands + non-SHC hands if played correctly would’ve added to my bankroll a boost of around $210. That’s around 11BB/100. That quite a good SSS BB/100 result. If played correctly.

What I have seen from my play is that, after sitting for hours only folding hands that are not in SHC I tend to try and push my luck with cards like Ax suited, A9o, ATo, or any two face cards. Which is not a SSS play. That cost me a lot of money. Second tendency is trying to trap/slowplay monster hands like AA, AK, KK, QQ especially when I get say KK on a table, stick in raise of 3-4BB and everyone around folds. Then I get so excited in slowplaying and trapping that I can’t realize that I am being trapped myself, as shown in the hands 5 and 6.

Need to stick to the theory, there is no sense in inventing wheel once again. I did the maths myself, checked my hands, spent like 4 hours in there… SSS works, just play by the SHC. Simple, yet hard.
  • 21 replies
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Hi Regisek,

Could you convert all those in hands in a good looking layout as presented by Elephant as well? If you look at the bottomright if you have your hand present at Elephant/Hands tab. You see 'PS' "Not PS' buttons and stuff.
      Click on PS and it will automatically generate a very clear sample hand to post. Just paste it.

Otherwise use http://www.stoxpoker.com/hand_history_converter/ ;)

What I have seen from my play is that, after sitting for hours only folding hands that are not in SHC I tend to try and push my luck with cards like Ax suited, A9o, ATo, or any two face cards. Which is not a SSS play. That cost me a lot of money. Second tendency is trying to trap/slowplay monster hands like AA, AK, KK, QQ especially when I get say KK on a table, stick in raise of 3-4BB and everyone around folds. Then I get so excited in slowplaying and trapping that I can’t realize that I am being trapped myself, as shown in the hands 5 and 6.
      If you still feel this after playing SSS some time, I can recommend you to switch to BSS because it requires Patience and Discipline to master SSS ;)

Good luck at Stars, Maybe i will see you there.
      - Gerv
    • Hlynkinn
      Hlynkinn
      Bronze
      went down to $60, then I decided that I should repair my bankroll and went for SSS on NL25.

60$ not enough for nl25
      Stick to brm and you'll do good :D

Good luck on your poker career and this blog :)
    • regisek
      regisek
      Bronze
      Hey Gerv :) I've converted those hands to PS forum standard ;) They indeed look nicer :)

And Hlynkinn, I've been stuffed with Stars bonus. At the time of that post I had $139.40, just finished a 1hr session and atm I am at $153.50. Thigs are looking good. Even considering BRM I now have the right amount for NL25. Which is 150 minimum ;)

We'll see after another 7k hands how I am doing ;)
    • fun101rockets
      fun101rockets
      Bronze
      My sdvice: learn BSS it is a lot more fun and profitable
    • thedahl
      thedahl
      Bronze
      I use to get bored of playing SSS-- but than I went from 1 table to 2 tables-- from 2 tables to 4 tables-- from 4 tables to 6 table-- from 6 tables to 9 tables. The best cure for the SSS boredom is more tables. Unfortunately if you don't stick to the SSS (playing A9 etc.) you will simply lose more money playing more tables.
      Get the strategy right.
      Play more tables.
      Make more money.
    • regisek
      regisek
      Bronze
      Previous bankroll $138
      Recap after 3 days 22.09.2008-> 24.09.2008.

I have played 1540 hands during that time. All of that SSS NL25.
      I have earned $65. Which translates to 17BB/100.

Quite an nice upswing with a bit better play. Only counted like 5 or 6 suckouts caused by bad play (which my anonymous coach calls BadRegises).
      Today I've switched from 4 to 8 tables and found that it help keep my focus and correct use of SHC.

I lost $5 playin PL10 Omaha, (what the hell i was doing there).
      3rd on 27 man 1$ SnG -> won 4.8$

Short term goals are:
      [] reach Silver on stars (need 272 more FPPs)
      [] reach Gold on PS (need ~372 more FPPs)

A bit longtermish goal:
      [] grind up to $400 and try NL50 SSS

Bankroll: $205.39
    • regisek
      regisek
      Bronze
      Another three day recap. 24.09.2008-26.08.2008.
      I'll most likely not be playing today or tomorrow, wedding and stuff... don't drink and do poker ;>

So, similar three days to the last ones:
      I have played 1537 hands. Still SSS NL25.
      I have earned $67.25. So still stready 17.5 BB/100.

It is suprising how well SSS works when played correctly, and how people are scared of agression.

Had a little downsing at the end of yesterday session, but overcame it and went back on the + side :)

Short term goals are:
      [] reach Silver on stars (need 46 more FPPs, almost there)
      [] reach Gold on PS (need ~146 more FPPs)

A bit longtermish goal:

Bankroll: $270.39
    • slikec
      slikec
      Global
      Unbelivable. I play SSS NL25 on stars now and than and all i do is damn minus. I am glad you do so fine lately ;)
    • regisek
      regisek
      Bronze
      Originally posted by slikec
      Unbelivable. I play SSS NL25 on stars now and than and all i do is damn minus. I am glad you do so fine lately ;)
      Well, after each upswing there has to be a downswing... lets just hope my downswing is far, far away ;)
    • regisek
      regisek
      Bronze
      Well... and the downswing got to me soon enough.
      Don't have elephant open so I won't state the number of hands etc. Anyway, after a kinda big hit of -$50 I've managed to pull it up and stay above the water and closed todays session on a little +.

I've had a few funny moments during the seesion.
      First was when I had KK on one table (allin pref)... which got kicked by AJo (Ace on the river, thx Barry). On the very same moment I had AJo on another table (allin on AJ3 flop), only to see a K on turn and KK in opponents hand ;)
      Second one was me having AA (allin pref) against two villains, flop came 3QJ... my first thought was only 'which one of u have queens, eh?'. I don't have to state that one of them had...

Anyway, I have reached two of my short term goals, that is 1500VPP on stars -> silver star. And shortly after 1600VPP which will turn into Gold here, sometime tomorrow (I hope).

Short term goals are:
      [x] reach Silver on stars
      [x] reach Gold on PS

A bit longtermish goal:

Bankroll: $272.44
    • regisek
      regisek
      Bronze
      Two day recap. 30.09.2008-01.10.2008.

I seemed to have hit some kind of wall, couldnt break 300$ barrier. Was going around it for some time.

Played 2000 hands with a 9BB/100. A little less that I achieved in previous week, but still going in the right direction.

Gold status here kicked in :] I am happy with it :]

Will be working on achieving last goal soonish;)

A bit longtermish goal:

Bankroll: $318,31
    • slikec
      slikec
      Global
      Can i ask you at what time you usually play at Stars?
    • regisek
      regisek
      Bronze
      Originally posted by slikec
      Can i ask you at what time you usually play at Stars?
      Are you going fishing ?;>
    • regisek
      regisek
      Bronze
      My graph ;) 16-09-2008 -> today. Including the bad played hands I mentioned in the first post.
      Graph

Todays session is on minus ;) Very bad run of cards. Instead of this SSS I switched to 3$ SNGs. Played 4, won 52.2$ so the net profit is 38.6.

Anyway, getting near to my 400$ goal.

Bankroll: 371$
    • regisek
      regisek
      Bronze
      Closing this experiment.
      Grinded 470$, enough to switch to SnGs. Which is what I've been doing this past few days.
      While SSS is good for grinding money, it is what it is. Grind. And I do not particularly like to grind all that much. Three weeks and it is enough for me.

Anyway. Proven to myself and to those who bother to read this that SSS strategy is working properly when played exactly 'by the book'.
    • slikec
      slikec
      Global
      Respect man. In three weeks 300$ SSSing NL25 ;)

How many hands exactly you needed for that?
    • regisek
      regisek
      Bronze
      about 19k total ;)
    • Termi8r
      Termi8r
      Bronze
      Wow, you are making me very jelleous! ;) Congrats on the nice progress. I also play on Stars NL25 and I can't seem to make a decent profit at the moment. I play VERY tight like in VPIP 5% and 100% SSS postflop strategy. Its been very looooong so far ot his NL25 limit but I sticking to it. I played way more than 19k hands here...

Hope your nice run continues!

I played like over 150k hands SSS...and still on NL25 feeling a bit retarted if other people do it all in 19k hands.
    • Puciek
      Puciek
      Bronze
      If you have played 150k sss hands and still on nl25, then you are doing soemthing awfully wrong. Worst case scenario for winning player (2bb/100) you should be at least 150BI forward which would be more than enought to switch to nl50.

I can suggest you what i've suggested this lazy bastard (regisek) which is to get someone to analyze your game and make fun of every single mistake you will make (that would be me ;p). Also posting your hummiliating mistakes to public view is very good teacher, becasue let's be honest, no one of us likes to be laughted at :D