$2 BR on FTP

• rowzee
      rowzee
      Bronze
      So, after countless 2700 player freerolls I have finally cashed in for $2 (I'm telling you, this is the most card-dead, and suckout-rich site I've ever played on) and am looking forward to turn this money into something more :D . I understand that my choices are limited, the best of which to me seems the daily 10c rebuy tournament that I could play 20x without rebuying. My only concern is that only the top 4.25% get paid, which would make it a bit of a struggle, but I hope that I could cash in at least once in 20 times. SNG's are way out of reach as are cash games and I just don't feel like risking that much (I never want to return to these freerolls if possible). I guess I pretty much already answered my question, but I'm keen to know what you think about it (I think there were some threads on Chris Ferguson challenge on FTP that I'm going to check out, too).
  • 20 replies
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      Keep playing freerolls until you have the br for a sng
    • AquamanBT
      AquamanBT
      Bronze
      I started once doing the Ferguson experiment, and cashed a few cents in a couple of freerolls, until finally got the $1.25 minimum sng buy-in. I cashed in 12 sng's in a row and eventually got it up to around $50. I never played the 10 cent rebuy... they are too crazy. Of course you are gonna get sucked out lots of times at these levels, but still my opinion is that it is way easier to cash in a sng than in a MT-w/rebuy tourney.

Anyways, keep playing every freeroll you can, because you never know when you can outdraw thousands of donkeys...
    • jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Silver
      My advice, play the 90 man deepstack $1.20 sitngo and if you lose carry on with the 10c with r/a. Im currently doing the chris furgeson challenge got to $1200 mark but have cashed out more than half for various reasons (mainly being im a poor 19 yr old unemployed student :P )
      You should find my blog down a few pages gathering dust hope to update it soon.
    • rowzee
      rowzee
      Bronze
      TheBrood: I have the BR for a single $1.25 SNG, but I don't feel like risking it; on the other hand, it would take a long time to build a proper BR for SNG's just out of freerolls

AquamanBT: I'm happy that it worked out for you (cashing in the SNG's), thank you for your advice on the r/a tourney and I think I'm going to return to the freerolls only if I'm broke or seriously bored, they're just too unprofitable in terms of the profit/time ratio.

jmackenzie: I read your blog, that was some interesting stuff, congratulations for your achievements from me! I think the 90-p $1.20 SNG might be a good idea because of the deep stacks and I read once that it is relatively easy to cash in, I think this would be the safest bet and even if I loose I would still have 8 BI for the 10c r/a MTT.
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      play the $10c rebuy 1k guaranteed. or play somewhere where the freerolls are better.
    • Hlynkinn
      Hlynkinn
      Bronze
      tbh I think it would be more +ev to play more freerolls then playing the 10c 20 times...

Since it's a rebuy tourney and you don't have much change with no rebuy...

Not much to do but try to play some more freerolls or risk it all on a sng :)

whatever you choose goodluck :)
    • RockEye
      RockEye
      Bronze
      Hey rowzee i am playing on FTP too, but i can't find any freeroll which isn't restricted or from other affiliate then poker strategy. Which are those freerolls?

Btw i must tell you 0.10c Fergusson is crazy and really suckout rich MTT.
      You got better options playing 90 ppl or 10 ppl 1.25$ SNG.
    • rowzee
      rowzee
      Bronze
      RockEye: There are several 2700-player $100 (top 1% paid) freerolls throughout the day at 5:40, 9:40, 15:40, 19:40, 23:40 (ET time or GMT-5)
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      Originally posted by rowzee
      TheBrood: I have the BR for a single $1.25 SNG, but I don't feel like risking it; on the other hand, it would take a long time to build a proper BR for SNG's just out of freerolls

Well, I would play freerolls until i had at least 10 SnG buy-ins before playing one. Or you can play a SnG and if you dont win go back to freerolls.

But dont play 1% payout freerolls, Id play at least 5% payout, and 10% is great. If you hate freerolls, put together a home game =) (easy money)

Playing freerolls will help you play better and give you patience. If you actually win money its a bonus.

If you have read all the strategy articles and feel you know them well, consider depositing.
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      Originally posted by Hlynkinn
      tbh I think it would be more +ev to play more freerolls then playing the 10c 20 times...

Since it's a rebuy tourney and you don't have much change with no rebuy...

Not much to do but try to play some more freerolls or risk it all on a sng :)

whatever you choose goodluck :)
      I once played the 10c re every day for about 2 weeks without ever rebuying, and nearly always managed to build up a good stack. I even won $5 once :)
    • davidangel
      davidangel
      Bronze
      I played freerolls for a few years before finding pokerstrategy. $20 was about the highest I got to.
      With $2 BR...
      I would play in the daily country freeroll. It is often not full and you also find alot of sit-outs so you can leech blinds.
      I would play in every ferguson challenge free roll, top 100 win $1 (my wife playing less than 2 months and only hearing me talk lots has cashed twice in this one, it is by far the one you want to watch, #1 on your list.)
      I would play in every daily dime mtt but dont rebuy
      I would play in every $100 freeroll (even omaha, but not razz unless you are already insane, in which case I say go join the rest of the crazies playing that game) play loose-aggressive here, all it takes is one good run of cards and you can go far switching to TAG once you are stacked.
      I would look for other freerolls on FTP as well, such as satellite to midnight madness.
      If you are really desperate and have lots of spare time you can build a playchip account and buyin to a 500 000 playchip daily tourney with a $40 prize pool (FTP)
      Too bad your $2 is not on pokerstars, NL2 is a good spot to play TAG with your BR. Since the blinds are so low, and the players so bad, you can afford to wait for a premium hand, and also see the flop with strong hands for cheap. 2.50 was my first cash-in on pokerstars freeroll. I played NL2 with $1 buyin and used my own style of SSS. I did OK, but progress was still painfully slow. Thanks to pokerstrategy I have fixed a few leaks I didn't realize I had.
      All-in-all I would say that the years of freerolls I gained much experience and taught me patience and I got to see a huge number of hands, flops, showdowns, bluffs, styles, noobs, donks and the whole gamut; and I never invested a dime... cheaper than university :D .
      Now I am ready to really play poker, and win.
      +EV is everything!
    • bmickelson
      bmickelson
      Bronze
      fullroll it in nl ring
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      Originally posted by davidangel
      I would play in every $100 freeroll (even omaha, but not razz unless you are already insane, in which case I say go join the rest of the crazies playing that game)
      razz is the best poker variation by far :D , i think is the easiest game to cash since 95% of the field has no clue how to play, they just see a K82 and raise it.
    • VicoII
      VicoII
      Bronze
      WHAT'S SO SPECIAL ABOUT RAZZ?
      INTRSTING :)
    • FlyDizzy
      FlyDizzy
      Bronze
      It dosen't make any since to play the freerolls when you have some cash. If you play a 1$ SNG and lose then your back to freerolls, if you stick to freerolls...your still playing freerolls AND don't have a chance at winning the 1$ tourney. so just take a shot.

the 1$ 45 man isn't hard if you play tight you'll be down to the final 2 tables before you know it, where you might have to start making some moves, but still making it to the final table isn't hard. I was down at one point and resorted to playing these and built my roll back up.
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      Originally posted by VicoII
      WHAT'S SO SPECIAL ABOUT RAZZ?
      INTRSTING :)
      well , i like it a lot, it's a variation of stud which makes the game interesting itself, kind of easy to know when you are ahead ( way easier than holdem, that may be why i suck )

also, it's so cool to say
      - " i got out before the final table when i hit running running running boat :D how unlucky am i?"
      - "what is this ?, JJJ? im card dead?"

both true story btw.
    • davidangel
      davidangel
      Bronze
      razz is the only poker game, where you can start with the nuts and end up card dead. Where you always lose with quad aces. Its fixed limit, so you cant even bet properly.
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Loose with quad Aces???
      Will never play that game haha
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      razz is the only poker game, where you can start with the nuts and end up card dead.

what? , how do you start with the nuts in razz , A23? also in stud you can lose starting with AAA , you can lose in holdem with AA or in omaha with AAKK ds.

Where you always lose with quad aces. Its fixed limit, so you cant even bet properly.

well not always , AAAA67T wins against KKKQQQ2 :D , by the way, i don't know how 7 card stud variations would work no limit , i just can't

stud hi lo hand ... Ad2d3d i'm all in!!!!!!! :rolleyes: