Hi all!

• thiaz
      thiaz
      Bronze
      Hi all! :)

Yeah i was so rude not introducing myself when i started on reading the NL Beginners guide. But i'm gonna blame the guide for being so interesting.

My name is Mathias and I'm from Denmark - just turned 25 :D woohoo.

I've been playing poker on and off. Mostly between the age of 18-20. Between then and now, i've been hooked on using my time on betting on sports :) . So it's been mostly casual play since then but i'm getting up for upping my game a great deal now.

I don't have that great experience - perhaps 100,000 hands - but i've learned all about the basics and then again. The first chapters of the beginners guide already answered a lot of the things i wondered about the last couple of years.

If i were to describe my strengths and weaknesses, i would say that i'm very good at reading my opponent - about their bluffs and when they got a good hand - but i guess thats because its fairly easy on the newbie level. My weakness is how naive i can be when i get a good hand. If i have like three of a kind, or anything above 1 pair, i tend to just call everything or even raise at anything - even if i notice the high posibility of a flush or straight at the community cards (yeah just learned that wonderful expression :D )

In the end, I cant wait to use this site a lot more than i already did - and thanks for allowing me in at such a nice place :D
      Unfortunately i'm a little bit dissapointed about all your advertisement about free poker money - when there really isnt a lot of those options for us in Denmark :(

I'm gonna go back to reading some more in the guide now! Pretty hooked.
  • 13 replies
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      Hey Mathias,

Welcome to the forum!

Since you are already Bronze and have started the Beginner's Course, it looks like you're already pretty set, there's not much I can add really!

Since you are taking the Beginner's Course I'll assume you're playing cash games now. When you played a few years ago, did you also play cash games? Or did you play different game types before?

And I'm sorry about our offer for players from Denmark. We would of course love to offer the free poker money to Danish players, but unfortunately the current market regulations there make it really tough for us as well :(

Despite that, I hope you will enjoy the content we have to offer, and hopefully you will enjoy your stay here!

Kind regards,
      Tino
    • thiaz
      thiaz
      Bronze
      Thanks! :)

Yeah, i know Denmark is being a bitch regarding bookmakers and poker sites. It's really irritating.

When i played some years ago it was mostly sit n' gos or freerolls. If i played cashgames it was mostly in real life since i always got my ass beaten in online cashgames.

But so far i already had my yahooo moment of the day! :D
      First time ever (i believe), i've actually played for some hours and ending out with a profit :)
      I started out with your Winner Poker promotion (its blocked in DK according to law, but i got my tricks to undo the dns block so i got access to it :) ). I sat at a table with $2 and after a couple of hours i ended out with $3 (0.01/0.02 NL).

I was almost at $4 but because i was quite unlucky with 1 hand i lost a bit. I'm already feeling a lot more secure when playing - it's like a lot of what i really needed was some guidance to when to play aggressive and when to not - and then i really got surprised about which cards being seen as bad cards.

I played like 200 hands yesterday, and for the first 150 hands i had a 100% win at showdown, but in the end i had 70% but i still felt great. I lost 3 times, and the 2 of them was i slowplaying because i knew there was an option of me not having the greatest hand and therefore not raising the pot - which ended up with me having a minimum of a loss. The last time i lost the loss was around $1 but it was obviously my fault. I had 2 pairs of Q and 10's. When the turn showed a flush draw, and my opponent started taking over my aggression i knew that i was beat. If was an awesome feeling that i were foreseeing that (which i probably wouldnt have yesterday). But i was acting stupid - i wanted to continue just to see if i were really right and i was. Even though i lost, i had a huge smile on my face because it made me feel that i really learned something by reading your articles. Hopefully i will decrease these types of losses in the future.

I hope to increase my levels a lot in the future.

PS: Sorry for typing a huge wall of text, but i'm just so thrilled that i just have to share my experience :)
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      Don't worry about it! But yes, that is quite a wall of text :f_biggrin:

That's not a bad thing though! While you're at it, since you seem to like writing, why not take a look at our blogging section and maybe start a blog? That way you can get some extra motivation to play while tracking your progress and getting comments from other community members. If you have no idea where to start, just take a look at some of the other blogs :)

Blogs

It's great to see that you're already improving your game quite a lot. But trust me, there's a lot more left to learn. Also, just because you lost doesn't necessarily mean you played poorly, but it looks like you realize that already, so that's good!

Continuing to play just to "see if you were" right is a pretty bad thing to do though. I've been guilty of doing that in the past as well, but have learned to not do that anymore. I know it's very tempting to call and see if you were right, but in the long run it will probably just cost you a lot of money :)
    • thiaz
      thiaz
      Bronze
      You're most definitely right - i got tons of more stuff to learn, no doubt about that :) Often i also get very stressed because i'm thinking about the chart about when to raise and when to fold and then i'm thinking about all the other stuff i read, and then just ending up folding after my brain exploded.

I guess it could be a good idea to start blogging, also to keep myself at playing. I'm also quite busy with studying a master of science in business and administration, so would be awesome to have something nagging on me to keep playing.
      But I don't think it would be that great for others to read since my english isn't that great. But of course, i should only do it for myself - I'll think about it.

I know that i should never call just to see if i was right, and i will try not to do it in the future, it was just something like, i was doing it once just to see if i was right - i think in the start it's not that much about the money being lost than learning how to play properly.

Thanks for reading my bullshit :) It feels really good to know someone is actually reading and in some sort of way caring, without trying to sound creepy :D
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      without trying to sound creepy
      Haha :f_biggrin:

I'd say there's absolutely nothing wrong with your English! Here in the English community we have players from all over the world, so nobody will mind if your English isn't perfect.

Of course I can't force you to do anything. So if you want to start a blog, feel free to! If you would prefer not to, then you of course don't have to. :)

Also yes, I think you are right that in the beginning it's more about learning the game than it is about earning money. That said, I prefer thinking in terms of big blinds and buy-ins instead of actual cash. For example, I play NL50 at the moment, but if I lose my stack I don't think I lost $50, I think I lost 100bb or 1 BI (buy-in). I would think the exact same way if I would play on NL2 for example. This helps me to not be too money-oriented. So maybe that's a little tip to maybe keep in mind, as it may prevent you from unnecessarily losing money because "it's only $2", for example.

And you're welcome, of course! And don't worry about writing bullshit, because it isn't. ;)
    • thiaz
      thiaz
      Bronze
      Great idea about not thinking in actual cash but buy-ins. It actually also makes a lot of sense when i'm already taught to think in buy-ins and bb's when looking for what table to sit at, and how much to raise etc.

But darn it's irritating to sit at the university at the moment and know that i have 8 hours in front of me before i can get home and practice even more, but hey better than vice versa :)

Again, thanks a lot for making me feel so welcome.
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      You're very welcome!

If you ever have any questions, just let us know :)
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey thiaz,

Welcome to the PS.com forums.

I do get a little excited when I hear someone as passionate about poker and committed to being the best you can.

I know it's a pain to not be able to just rip into it, but ultimately your education must come first. It is terribly important to have something to fall back on if poker doesn't work out.

On a non poker note, I'm from Hobart, Tasmania so we have a special relationship with Danes. After all our Mary married your Freddy.

Keep up the good work and if you do start a blog, I'll definitely follow.

Cheers

Laz
    • thiaz
      thiaz
      Bronze
      Hi Lazza61, thanks for replying to my thread.

It's great to read that my thread has made you a little excited :) Let's hope we can keep doing that in the future. I must keep having the education in focus for sure, and its also most convenient that i'm studying something i love, but as anything else there comes periods where it is not as giving as something else.

Haha, it's awesome to read from someone from Tasmania! :D Thanks for giving us such a lovely person to marry Freddy - most of Denmark really adore her, compared to Freddy's brothers wife whom noone really likes compared to Mary.

Well maybe I really should take you guys up on the offer by making a blog :) I'll just need to find a way to make it interesting for myself and others.
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey thiaz,

The thing with blogs is they have to suit your purpose. They should document your ups and downs, wins and losses, discoveries and generally anything that effects your poker journey.

Other people will follow your blog for the main reason that they are on a similar journey. As you discover and learn, they will discover and learn with you.

It's also handy to find other bloggers who are on a similar path to yours as you can learn from them.

Freddy and Mary certainly make a wonderful couple. They are more popular here than the English royals and certainly more approachable.
    • ArkhamAsylum
      ArkhamAsylum
      Bronze
      "My name is Mathias and I'm from Denmark - just turned 25 grin woohoo."

when the number starts pushing more towards the 30 mark. you will woohoo less :D :f_cry:
    • muumionu
      muumionu
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ArkhamAsylum

when the number starts pushing more towards the 30 mark. you will woohoo less :D :f_cry:
      hahahaah
    • thiaz
      thiaz
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ArkhamAsylum

Haha, dunno why i made that woohoo really, since i've been whining about my age since i became 21 :D
      I feel like 30 already.