PS Equilab question

• benaars
      benaars
      Gold
      In a SNG I played recently I had a spot where I had to call an all-in from player and due the odds I had to have 35% equity in order to make this call profitable(6000call/16800pot). So I have heard that Equilab can help me with this - I wanted to see what range he has to be pushing (3beting) in order for me to get 35%. Is that possible?
      Thanks and regards!
  • 5 replies
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      This might be more of an ICM question, but Equilab should be able to do what you need.

Here is what I did:
      I picked a hand: A8o

Then go to the Tools menu and choose Hand Range Calculator

If you want 35% equity, then villain has 65% equity.
      If you select 65% as villains range, then take that range back to the main window, you find he has 72%

So I backed down my expected range for villain to 55% and this is what came out:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    33.28%  28.20%   5.07% { A8o }
      BB     66.72%  61.65%   5.07% { 22+, A8s+, A8o+ }

Pretty rough, but close.

Post back if you get any better ideas...

Best of luck,
      --VS
    • benaars
      benaars
      Gold
      Thanks for reply.
      I am not sure if this is correct way to do it.. It means I have to just play with opponents ranges against my exact hand in the spot and try go the exact match for my needed equity.. so when I get 35% it means If I assume that he would never push tighter than that then I have prof. call - if his range is tighter then no?
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      I rather agree that the approach I suggested is backwards, but I don't really have a proper solution.

As I said at the outset, this seems like more of an ICM question than strictly an equity one.

Have you tried out the hand in holdem resources?

In SnGs there's more to it than just equity.

Let use know...
      --VS
    • benaars
      benaars
      Gold
      Ok now I have given wrong information... It wasn't a SNG but a MTT actually so it is all about cEV here since the bubble was far away.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Sorry, I must have missed that.

--VS