Greeting :)

• cookyik
      cookyik
      Bronze
      Hi everyone,

I am cookyik, right now I am playing NL10 on Carbon since I am living in the U.S.
      Recently I am losing pretty bad, having -22bb/100 over 3000 hands....
      I hope I can learn some more in Pokerstrategy.com and fix my leaks!

Anyway I am just here to say hi, and wish you good luck on your table :)

btw, can anyone tell me how can I achieve bronze status? I found out I cannot collect Strategy Points since I live in the US.....
  • 7 replies
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Hey cookyik,

As you're from the US you can't play tracked with us as you know already know. You can however buy a status in our Shop :)

If there's anything else you need, give us a shout.
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Silver!

Nice :)

How are you enjoying your lovely new badge?
    • cookyik
      cookyik
      Bronze
      haha It is awesome, the articles and videos are really helpful and clear!
      I am trying to read through all the bronze articles in Basic, psychology and NL holdem section.
      by doing that i am trying to fix my leaks and study my game.
      And of course after that i will start reading the silver section.

there is one question in my mind, in order to beat NL10 on carbon, what kind of quality is essential that i must possess? or in other words, what do i need to know/do to beat it?

thanks!
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      Good, I'm glad enjoying the benefits of Silver Status :]

The best route is to start with the Basic Articles a you have done, although you may know a lot of what's there it will refresh your memory and maybe fix a few small leaks you aren't even aware off.

To beat NL10 I think you need to get a good grasp of the fundamentals, know when to 3Bet vs Calling or Folding, have a good idea of the right time to valuebet (and amount) and have a stable range set out. The main thing is to not play like a robot - you won't learn that way. Try to put a villain on a range each time, don't just bet because you got AK and hit Top pair, why is he calling? Is he chasing? Has he got a made hand? If you can do this well you'll be on your way to getting max value and ready to storm through.

That's what my personal opinion is, as you probably well know, there's a lot to poker than most think and there's a lot to master, but if you can get a nice grasp of the above I believe you're on to be a winner ;)

Lastly, don't think that the Articles, Videos & Coachings are the only benefit to your badge. You can also use our Hand Evaluation forums to get a Hand Judge to assist with any hands you've played, post both winning an losing hands as you can have just as many leaks in both ;)

I'd also advise you to join our Beginners Course. Don't let the name fool you! I've done the course myself and learn a great deal, it will also get you used to the forums more :)
    • cookyik
      cookyik
      Bronze
      The Beginner Course is well organized and I liked that, I am on my third lesson now :]
      I do feel i am improving.
      When I was playing on the table, I started to see why player acting the way they do, especially the time I saw a solid player extracting the maximum value from the fish by isolating, trapping, value betting. He won 3 buy-ins from the fish in just short period of time. I learned a lot from that session. :)

However I still have trouble putting opponent on a range. Is putting villain on a hand same as putting villain on a range?

Anyway, I think I am getting better! Thanks for the advice Matt! Appreciated it! :D
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      Glad you're enjoying the beginner's course!

As for your question about putting people on a range, yes, that's very tough. Especially if you don't know them at all. However, this is something that you will start to understand more and more as you play more and get more experience.

And no, putting people on a hand is not the same as putting them on a range. Putting people on a range is basically giving them a variety of hands they could have. Putting them on a hand is basically saying "He has AK".

But the thing is, hardly ever will someone have only one specific hand in a specific situation. For example, say somebody check/raises you on this flop:

J :heart: T :heart: 2 :diamond:

If you think he raises here with two pair and sets only, his range will look like this:

JJ-TT, 22, JTs, JTo (assuming he doesn't play J2/T2).

So you can't always say he has JJ here when he raises, for example. Instead, you can say that he has that range of hands.

Hopefully that made sense! If not, just say so. Or, of course, you can always ask Bogdan in the Beginner's Course, as he will be more than happy to answer any such questions you might have :)

And of course, although a bit late, welcome to the forum!

Kind regards,
      Tino
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hio cookyik,
      I just popped in to wish you well, but by the looks of your posts up to now you will do just fine!

How about starting a blog in our blogging section? You can post hands there now you're a pretty silver colour and get loads of advice as well as from the coaches like the awesome Bogdan (he is super good isn't he? :) )

Here's the link for you in case you get the urge:

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/forum/board.php?boardid=1435

It's also another way of meeting and discussing strategy with people like yourself, many of whom will be doing the same course.

Just and idea, but meanwhile make sure it stays fun!

Mal.