Poker and Design, a little research i'm doing... plz make a point of view.

• zarovicious
      zarovicious
      Bronze
      So, here it goes:
      i'm a design student, and been doing a little research in 'target consumers'.
      i thought to myself, as an online poker player...
      what do you guys can imagine that would improve ur poker habilities and make the playing more enjoyable.. oh, other than gadgets, also; what kind of wearable (or not) would u think of for our group, online poker players, that would make an statement.... like saying to the world ur a player...

ok, to heaten up the proccess, i'll throw some of my current ideas, so u guys can understand what i'm talking about...
      - utilities:
      - little tablet with 3 buttons (FOLD, CALL, RAISE) and a softpad to raise and how much...

oh, leave ur age and how long u've been playing!

thnx for the help, and sorry for the bad english.

zaro.
  • 30 replies
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      Interesting idea (the tablet thingy), but it won't have a market. For one thing, poker pros (or semi-pros) are a very small community; there's a few thousand, tops - even if all of them bought a product tailored specifically to them, it wouldn't pay for the design and manufacturing costs. Second, that product isn't actually useful, since a mouse already accomplishes those functions with a very simple piece of software (you just need extra buttons -- a thing that most mice have these days -- if you really want to have single-click fold/call/raise (and most people don't, so that's a moot point)). Plus, a mouse is much more adapted to online poker (i've tried using a graphics tablet, it just wasn't up to it).

to sum it up, good luck :)
    • zarovicious
      zarovicious
      Bronze
      now here it is...
      i'm up for CONCEPTS...
      it's all made up, and as i said, i'm attending to a design college so, i know something about marketing and market as well...

you, as a coach, can think of any cool gadgets for this public? (doesnt matter how many ppl there is.)

i thought of lots of wearable, a jacket with the sayings: better be fold than sorry..
      already in my shop... www soon... (o:
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      no no, I'm not just shooting it down for the hell of it - tbh, the market is too small. Look at it objectively - who would buy this?

btw, does it have to be innovative? tbh i can't really think of anything that doesn't already exist
    • zarovicious
      zarovicious
      Bronze
      hahahahaha
      well, maybe thats why i'm on the design market and u're not (o:

much love. (o:
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      sex sells, that's what my literature teacher told me every single time when we discussed literature in comparison with modern day life...

:heart:
    • NRGBlaze
      NRGBlaze
      Bronze
      wow...... well I'll take my chances on the design open market as well ;)
      try chip shaped sunglases, card shaped wallet

maybe a girl T-shirt with a sign "Play me Heads Up" on the bust

guy boxers with a sign "ALL IN BABY" or "I burst at the bubble" or something like that

A T-shirt with two Aces on the front and a "Call me!!!" or "I'm your best hand" sign

maybe an alcohol glass with three different limits - raise, call, fold (full, half, empty)

a hat or a t-shirt with a picture of a river washing away some chips

a girl t-shirt with "Don't call me - I'll take your money" sign and a picture of some chips on the side

A poster or a T-shirt with a picture of a guy raising a donkey from a pile of chips and a "Raise the donkey" sign
      Do you need more :D
    • slikec
      slikec
      Global
      NRG some of your ideas are really good btw ;)
    • Hlynkinn
      Hlynkinn
      Bronze

owned...

s00ted...

But we off topic here or?
    • Hlynkinn
      Hlynkinn
      Bronze
      Originally posted by slikec
      Most of his ideas have already been made tho :) or atleast I've heard them before :D
    • zarovicious
      zarovicious
      Bronze
      thats why i kept the wearables aside for a moment...
      those were great ideas dude...
      what about GADGETS now?
      anything come to mind?

(loved the wallet idea btw..)
    • zarovicious
      zarovicious
      Bronze
      Btw, there it is....
      there is always market. for ANYTHING, coach. (o:
    • NRGBlaze
      NRGBlaze
      Bronze
      *blushes*
    • NRGBlaze
      NRGBlaze
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Hlynkinn
      Most of his ideas have already been made tho :) or atleast I've heard them before :D
      really?!? I feel so owned :(
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      Originally posted by zarovicious
      Btw, there it is....
      there is always market. for ANYTHING, coach. (o:
      of course there's a market. I'm just saying that there won't be enough buyers to pay for the manufacturing, design, etc costs. It's not a question of studying design, it's just common sense (which, btw, is the most important thing to have, regardless of your job)

btw,
      hahahahaha
      well, maybe thats why i'm on the design market and u're not (o:
      This will get you nowhere. Drop the attitude, always think thoroughly about your project (take a step back and look at it; how easy is it to manufacture?; who am I targeting?; put yourself in your potential buyers' shoes and estimate how good the product/service is), and you could have a chance of making good money designing useful things.

Poker-related products are fun (that wallet idea reminds me of the duct-tape wallet ^^), but the problem is there's very little room to innovate: your tablet idea is pretty good, but even that is almost useless due to the fact that existing, simpler solutions just work better. On top of that, the market is very small: you may be able to make a little money with clothes and other random poker-related items, but it's far from being a wildly profitable business.
      To be honest, I would try looking in another field - I can't think of anything right now, but i'm sure that you'll be able to think of a (type of) product that needs improvement and innovation, and when you do, you have a solid base for a very good & profitable project.

yep, that's it.
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Edible poker chips - for those times where the hunger is greater than the will to win :D
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      winnar! ^^

edit: o wait, edible chips exist

cue crickets
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      I actually had an idea concerning edible poker chips quite a while ago, which was never put into practise, but which I will never give up on!

My suggestion is to use those sets of biscuits you eat with cheese as poker chips. The round, thin ones as low value chips and the big rectangular ones for bigger values. Maybe a biscuit manufacturer could slightly optimise their biscuit design and sell them as biscuits to play poker with.

The winner gets some cheese, obviously ;)
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      what a cheesy idea
    • timukasr
      timukasr
      Bronze
      Of course you have market for poker clothing, dumb thing to say that there isn't imo.

I for example would love to buy some over priced real suit which is poker themed (black suit with gray aces or smth. like that). Black members suits look fucking awesome! I just love those small details that show theme of your shirt or smthing like that for example diamond member black T-shirt, that Pokerstrategy.com logo goes so good on that shirt and for every shirt.

About gadgets for poker platforms.

Good players want practical stuff (like pokerstars huge filter and stuff like that) and fish want lots of flashy things, unfortunately you can't have one with the other imo.