BoooGieMaNN

• BoooGieMaNN
      BoooGieMaNN
      Bronze
      Introduction:
      Hello, im Sarunas from Lithuania, my first introduction to poker was around 8 years ago, back then i got myself a free 50$ bankroll on one of those sites and wasted it out pretty quickly because i had no idea about how to play poker. Then after a couple years i found pokerstrategy.com, i completed the quiz, got my starting bankroll and started playing SSS, but didnt do too well, built my bankroll to about 150$, then went back down to like 80$, cashed out and stopped playing again. From this point i've been coming back to poker and pokerstrategy.com and leaving again. I've tried NL SSS, NL BSS, SnG's so im not completely new, i've read the majority of basic/bronze articles multiple times through all this time and also watched plenty of videos. Its just i never really got succesful, its perhaps because of not being patient enough as i would always quit after seeing that there is no instant success after reading a few articles/watching videos.
      Now im back to playing poker again, but this time with a more mature approach, im willing to take the time to learn and climb the limits slowly step by step so im hoping to finally become a winning player.
      Im currently playing NL2 or NL4, im not really sure how many hands ive played in total during all these years but my guess would be it is over 100k hands.

Homework:

What is your motivation for playing poker?
      My motivation enjoyment and making money. I enjoy playing poker and its always nice if you can make money by doing something you like. I can perfectly imagine myself making a living from poker in future as im working in an office dayjob currently and i dont like being constrained by fixed working hours every day so being able work as much as you want and when you want seems like a dream job to me.

What are your weaknesses when playing poker?
      Theres a lot. My biggest general weakness is the lack of skills in postflop play, i run into situations where i dont know how to play correctly quite often. I usually have problems folding if i raised preflop. I also have problems folding a marginal hand if i make a cbet and get raised. I often feel commited to the pot on the turn if i did cbet on the flop and have problems folding even if i feel im beat.
      I think im sometimes too loose preflop, for example if im in mid position and i have a hand that i would raise with if i was in late position, i raise with it from MP too often. I also sometimes have problems folding if i get reraised.

What does it mean to play tight aggressive?
      In short, it means you only play with good hands and you play them aggresively. You dont play with weak hands thus avoiding difficult situations and when you have a good hand you play it aggressively to have the initiative, put pressure on your opponent and make him have to make difficult decisions.
  • 3 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi Sarunas

Welcome to the course.

Thank you for posting such a detailed first post/homework. I always enjoy reading something that clearly shows you worked hard on it.

Folding is definitely a skill you want to master at the lower limits especially when faced with aggression (and from passive players). You also want to learn to valuebet well but if you can't fold your hands you will be losing a lot of money.

Good luck at the tables.

Bogdan
    • BoooGieMaNN
      BoooGieMaNN
      Bronze
      What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?
      Generaly i play a little bit looser. I reraise with JJ, TT if villain just did minraise.
      I sometimes raise with 99, 88 instead of just calling if there are limpers for isolation.
      I play AQ, AJ a bit more aggresively, i usually still raise instead of just calling from MP+1 and sometimes MP if there were limpers before me. If on the button and there was a raise, i sometimes call if the raise wasnt too big as i think just folding these hands on the button is not the best option.
      I also play face cards a little bit looser, for example if im on the button with KQ i will raise instead of just calling if there were limpers before me. Or i wont always just fold KQo in late or even MP+1 position if there were limpers before me.
      And of course i open with quite a wider range from late position if there were no limpers for blind stealing. Also, i 3bet with quite wider range if im the BB to protect my blinds, ive noticed that people try to steal blinds a lot and this works very often.
      Also, im playing NL2 Zoom and im sometimes starting to not feel too confident going all-in preflop with KK because when i did, i had to face AA more times than weaker hands, seems that people go all in preflop with hands worse than AA or KK very rarely.

Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.
      I want to know if it is good to play a little bit looser than the starting hand chart says. To be more specific, is it ok to play hands like AQ, AJ, AT, KQ, QJ at little looser as ive described in my answer to question one.
      I've posted my first ever batch of hands to hand evaluation forum, here are links to a few of them that are about preflop play:
      [NL2 Zoom] KJo
      [NL2 Zoom] AQo preflop
      [NL2 Zoom] AKo preflop

What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo.
      46.32%
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi Sarunas,

Good job with the second homework.

Those are some great adjustments and it looks like you are on the correct path.

Good work with posting the hands and to answer your question you can definitely play looser than the starting hand chart, especially as you gain more experience and confidence.

Keep up the good work.

Bogdan