cookyik

• cookyik
      cookyik
      Bronze
      Hi I was told I can join the NL Beginner Course, so that I can have a better understanding of the fundamental. So here I am!
      Here is my answer to Homework one.

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?
      Money of course. Although I am still in school, I am looking for ways to make some money. With dedication and patient, i think making money by playing Poker is totally achievable. Being able to earn money while doing something i enjoy(as oppose to a 9 to 5 job), what more can I ask for?

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?
      I think I have several weaknesses. First, I am very easily distracted. When I am playing Poker, sometimes i just wasn't paying attention on things going on on the table. If observing other players pays, then fail to observe definitely cost me money.
      Second, I failed to think the hand thoroughly and that leads to making bad decisions. (Folding hand with high equity and calling hand with low equity)
      Last but not least, laziness/procrastination. Spending too much time on things other than Putting in the hours on poker.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?
      Playing tight aggressive means that a player is mostly playing the hands that have high Playability, so that he can easily dominate his opponent's range. When TAG player is involved in a hand, he would not be a calling station who only calls his opponent's bet; instead, he is more inclined to bet/raise his opponent, in doing so his opponent has to make tough decision. Any mistake is made by the opponent, the tag player profit. Also, TAG player looking to play his hand in position, where he can maximize his profit, and minimize his loss.
  • 10 replies
    • legand73
      legand73
      Bronze
      Hey cookyik

Welcome to the course and I hope you enjoy it. Good work on your first homework. Bogdan, the coach who will be checking your homework, will be by in the coming days.

Regards,
      Luke
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi cookyik

Good work with the first homework and I am glad to see that you put in some real effort into it.

You definitely want to try and remove all distractions when playing poker. Close down all chat tools (skype, facebook, etc), put your phone away, turn off the TV, close your browsers, etc.

Otherwise it's almost pointless playing unless you do it for fun or to kill time.

Keep up the good work,

Best of luck

Bogdan
    • cookyik
      cookyik
      Bronze
      Hi Bogdan and Luke,

I will definitely try to remove all distractions!

For the past few days, I have been playing tighter than I used to and I feel good about it, since it makes my post flop decision easier.
      Here is my stats on NL10 six-max:
      recent: VPIP 15.35/PFR 11.63/3B 3.123 over 1000 hands
      before: VPIP 23.2/PFR 14/ 3B 2.94 over 3500 hands
      However, I am thinking if I am playing too tight and still calling too much?

Anyway, here is my homework for lesson 2

Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?
      I agree most of the chart except playing 99-22 in middle position while all players have folded. The Chart suggests that I should open limp when everyone is folded, however, I find out I often got raised/squeezed when I do that, and I will have to fold my pocket pair or call their raise(usually 4-5bb). I think it is better if i raise it 3xbb than just limp in.

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.
      NL10 AQo CO vs BB with a limper

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo.
      AKo is 46.32% underdog vs top 5% range.

Thanks!
      Cookyik
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi cookyik,

Good job with 2nd homework. It is now complete.

Are you playing 6 max or FR?

I'm assuming it's 6 max given the prior stats.
    • cookyik
      cookyik
      Bronze
      Yes BogdonPS, I am playing NL10 six max on Carbon Poker :)

Here is my homework for lesson 3,

Question 1: You are holding KsQs. What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 3d3c? How does the equity change on this flop: Js5d3s?
      Preflop I have 50.78% vs his 49.22%, a coin flip situation, two over card vs pocket pairs.
      After the flop, I flop a flush draw vs his set, now i have 26.46% vs his 73.54%. I need to get ~3to1 odds to make a profitable call. (or some implied odds)

Question 2: What would you do in the following hand?
      No Limit hold'em $2 (9-handed)
      Players and stacks:
      UTG: $2.00
      UTG+1: $2.08
      MP1: $1.92
      MP2: $1.00
      MP3: $3.06
      CO: (Hero) $2.08
      BU: $2.00
      SB: $2.00
      BB: $1.24
      Preflop: Hero is CO with A :club: J :club:
      5 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, BU calls $0.08, SB folds, BB calls $0.06.
      Flop: ($0.25) 2 :club: 6 :diamond: 3 :diamond: (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks, BU checks.
      Turn: ($0.25) 5 :club: (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.22, BU raises to $0.44, BB folds, Hero...?

On the Turn, there is $0.25+$0.22+$0.44= 0.91 in the pot
      And I need $0.22 to call him, which gives me 0.91:0.22 ~ 4.2:1 odds
      I need to win the pot a bit less than 20% in order to make my call profitable.
      That means I need to have at least 9outs for the hand.
      If I put him on a straight, I will have 9 outs, which I should call
      If I put him on a set, I will have either 7 or 8 outs, which I should fold.
      It is unlikely that he has two pairs, since I raised 4BB preflop.
      If he has a pair, then I have 9 clean outs and some outs for my over cards, then I should call.
      Since I am making a backdoor flush draw, when I hit my hand, it is less likely to be spotted, therefore, I have some implied odds. Also if the opponent really has a set or straight, it might not be easy for him to fold his hand away. That gives me some implied odds too.

Considered pot odds, I think it is a close call/close fold, however, when I hit my flush on the river, I am likely to be paid off. With implied odds, I think this is a profitable call.

Question 3: Do you have questions about your postflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.
      NL10 Bu KJo vs mp1 limper on FlushDraw board

Thanks!
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Good job with this homework.

Well done with the analysis for the 2nd question and you are correct.

Keep up the good work.

Bogdan
    • cookyik
      cookyik
      Bronze
      Thanks Bogdan,

This is my Homework for lesson 4

Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation in which you have the initiative postflop.

Nl10 Aa

Question 2: Evaluate one of the hands submitted by other members.

NL10 33 hit set on the flop

Question 3: You are on the flop with KQ. The board cards are J, 9, 8, and your opponent holds 77. What is your equity in this spot?

Preflop: two overcard vs pocket pair = coin-flip 45.87% vs 54.13% (me vs opponent)
      Flop : 41.41% vs 58.59% (me vs opponent)
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Good job with the 4th homework.

And good work with the response you left for Question 2.

Best of luck,

Bogdan
    • cookyik
      cookyik
      Bronze
      Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation where you have based your decisions on the stats of your opponents.
      Nl10 Bu KTo vs 1 limper

Question 2: Evaluate one of the hands submitted by other members.
      KK - bet folding Turn (NL10 ZOOM!)

Question 3:

I would re-raise my flush to get value from sb and/or bb, given they are loose passive, they are more likely to hit their Tens and Jacks, which I can get some value from. By raising I am trying to get at least sb or bb to fold, or else my hand doesn't look so good anymore since better flush and full house are a possibility.(although full house is very unlikely)
      If one of them decided to reraise me all-in. I would call it because by then I will be committed.

Question 4:

With over pair on the flop, and button is pretty aggressive, I would check-raise and try to take down the pot here.
      This flop probably misses the opponent's 3 bet range. The only hands that beat us now are pocket QQ,KK,AA, or sometimes TT.
      Although the flop is connected, I still expect the opponent cbet on this rainbow flop with his two overcards given he has AF of 3.8. When he cbet, I will re-raise to protect my hand from being drawn out.(any Q,K,A)
      If he shove, then I will call. I think folding here is too weak.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Good job cookyik,

Your homework 4 is done.

How's your progress at the tables going?

Best regards,

Bogdan