STT BLOG: Pokerpro wannabe aka Topolman fighting to survive!

• topolman
      topolman
      Bronze
      Hi,
      I would like to welcome all pokerstrategists to my first poker blog :) . It has been a while since I registered at pokerstrategy and after some years of just passive reading through various forums (excluding some occasional post in HJ forum) I decided to start writing my own poker diary. Some of the reasons I decided to do so is to check myself easier if I am working enough on and off the tables plus to track my progress which will eventually happen :D

I am playing fullring STT tourneys. I play turbos mostly, mixed with some normal speed to have enough tables running. I play on Fulltilt what is about to change in future.
      Some personal shit about me, which I think no one will read :D . I am 23 yo, I finished my college studies this year which were ofc too easy for me :D and not very interesting, so I decided to give a shot at playing poker for living. I was able to do it for the last year, I had money exclusively from playing $3 STTs at Partypoker. So I thought it will be easy. Moving up limits, making more money etc. I found out, that it’s not like I was imagining it. I have sample of around 20K STTs so far.

Away from poker I play basketball regularly- 5 times a week. And I like hanging out with my friends, drinking partying and stuff like that. :) This area of my life I had to sacrifice a little to make quicker progress in my poker “career”.

My short term goal is to establish myself on $5 STTs and finally beat them with some acceptable ROI. My biggest leak I can see is lack of studying my game.

Do you have any ideas how to make my studying and analyzing more efficient?

My routine is to go through my marked hands, check them in SNG wiz and that is all. I want to make my studying process more effective so I don’t waste time which could be spent on grinding. I will appreciate any ideas in this area :) .
      I will come up with some goals for the november based on volume and studying.

How do you gyus set up studying goals for yourself?

In the end of my first post, I give you another big reason which made me start doing something- graph from around last 2 months.

I hope it ll turn around soon. I am not a type of guy that gives up after first (second, third...) fial. :)
      Wish me luck
      PS: Can that graph be pure unluck? I didnt expect this kind of results on micros (those are 2.25s and 5s on fulltilt)...
  • 13 replies
    • topolman
      topolman
      Bronze
      Today's practice is canceled, so I will be able to grind a little more today. :) I plan to play at least 150 sngs and go through marked hands from yesterday's sessions. I will be playing 3 sessions today.
      In the evening I will try to sum up this unsuccessful month.
      I wont be mad if this shitrun finally came to an end. :D
    • BurnMoney
      BurnMoney
      Bronze
      I wanna ask you why did you moved from PartyPoker to FullTilt and what are the main differences you saw betwen them ?.

Good luck with the blog, will be following for sure !
    • IvicaIliev77
      IvicaIliev77
      Bronze
      1st! :D (actually 2nd!) :D

Welcome to blogging section, very cool that you started one Topolman.
      200 buy ins ds for micros, that is sick man. It will turn around I am sure.
      Regarding working on the game, besides marked hands you can start doing daily reviews and pick weekly topic for specific areas for example bubble shoves and calls for starters cause that's where people burn money most times. With solid ICM you will move up limits very soon I am positive of that.

Best of luck with the blog and see you on skype in future days :)
    • topolman
      topolman
      Bronze
      Originally posted by BurnMoney
      I wanna ask you why did you moved from PartyPoker to FullTilt and what are the main differences you saw betwen them ?.

Good luck with the blog, will be following for sure !
      Hi, I would like to say, that my switch from PP to FT was kind of coincidence. I was playing on PP for a long time. I had some personal life stuff where I needed big part of my roll so I withdrew almost everything I had there. By that time new fulltilt just reopened and I had money left there so I decided to to try to play some games and from that moment I was able to build some roll there and thats why I am playing on FT. I think I was lucky cause I dont know if it is possible by now to play sngs on PP cause of the changes they decided to make.
      Main difference back in that time was that FT acctually didnt exist :D . I think players on PP was mostly fishes and structure of turbos and speed tourneys was much steeper than on FT and Stars for example. I was able to benefit esspecially from the stage when blinds was very high (eff stacks around 4-5bbs). And also from the big jump from t100 to t200 and then right to t400. Opponents was not calling wide enough so I could enjoy pretty wide steals :D No lack of ATC spots.
      I dont know how it is on Party right now. But back then it was very profitable platform to play on.
      Thank you for wishing me luck, I ll try to post as much as possible. :)
    • topolman
      topolman
      Bronze
      Originally posted by IvicaIliev77
      1st! :D (actually 2nd!) :D

Welcome to blogging section, very cool that you started one Topolman.
      200 buy ins ds for micros, that is sick man. It will turn around I am sure.
      Regarding working on the game, besides marked hands you can start doing daily reviews and pick weekly topic for specific areas for example bubble shoves and calls for starters cause that's where people burn money most times. With solid ICM you will move up limits very soon I am positive of that.

Best of luck with the blog and see you on skype in future days :)
      Hi man!
      First of all thank you for welcoming me, cause this is really new experience for me. :) It is such a honor for me to have you posting on my blog! :) Despite fact I made you do it by spamming you with messages when you have to grind :D
      I hope it will turn around. I am sick of my hands getting crakced by 2-3 outers literally all the time :D
      Just to make it clear, that graph is mixed 2.25s, 5s and some 10s.
      To see the difference- graph for 2.25s:

graph 5s and 10s:

Why does those swings come at the worst possible time? :D I guess we just have to grind through it...
      I dont want to turn it to crying post since I am positive person and I can live with that, that is just a nature of this game :)

I will be reviewing my hands before every session, maybe I will mark even more hands from now. The thing is I feel, that when I am working with sng wiz and nash ranges I am forgeting all the stuff right away when I close it. Then come back to tables and play the same old game overe and over. Do you try to memorize things somehow?
      I am looking forward to our skype session :)
      Good luck to you too!
    • BurnMoney
      BurnMoney
      Bronze
      Thanks for your answer ! Also what do you think about these turbo sng's at FullTilt , I see that blind is increasing every 3 minutes and this is closer to a hyper sng rather than turbo.
      Thanks in advance !
    • topolman
      topolman
      Bronze
      No problem, your welcome :)
      First of all they are rigged :D (kidding ofc)
      I think they are more than beatable. But It is difficult to talk about it right now this way cause I am getting beaten and ripped all over the tables lately :D
      Difference is that in hypers you start with cca 10BBs. In turbos it is clasic structure plus 1500 chips with 15/30 blinds to start. I like the quicker structure cause I am better at push fold phase than in post flop play...
      I like them but if I ran normal, I would enjoy them more ofc :D
      What about you? Do you play at FT?
    • topolman
      topolman
      Bronze
    • BurnMoney
      BurnMoney
      Bronze
      No , but I would like to give it one shot that's why I am asking .
      Thanks for your time , answers and wish you all the best !
    • topolman
      topolman
      Bronze
      Guys what do you think about this hand?
      Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em Tournament, 80/160 Blinds (6 handed) - Full Tilt Converter Tool from http://www.flopturnriver.com

SB (t1,323) 15/12
      BB (t4,197)
      UTG (t1,735)
      MP (t1,645)
      CO (t1,310)
      Hero (Button) (t3,290)

Hero's M: 13.71

Preflop: Hero is Button with J, K
      3 folds, Hero raises to t320, SB raises to t1,323 (All-In), 1 fold, Hero calls t1,003

Flop: (t2,806) 5, A, Q (2 players, 1 all-in)

Turn: (t2,806) J (2 players, 1 all-in)

River: (t2,806) 4 (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: t2,806

Results below:

Hero had J, K (one pair, Jacks).
      SB had 9, A (one pair, Aces).
      Outcome: SB won t2,806

What would be your raise/fold, raise/call and openpush range here?
      Opponent is 15/12 with higher resteal stat
      EDIT: I guess we do not have openpush range because of big stack on BB which is 29/12.
    • topolman
      topolman
      Bronze
      What a coincidence happened today. Just a day after the creation of my blog I finally managed to turn my dooswich off (knock on wood). I hope it will be that way for long time.
      I accomplished all the goals I set for today. Played 156 sngs (turbo+normal) in 3 sessions and reviewed all the hands in between sessions. Now I am gonig to see some videos from Schnitzelfisch on Visual Planning. I hope it will help me manage my time more effectively.

today's graph, it's allways nice to have 40+BI day :)

Tommorow I will set some goals for november and I will sum up september's misery.
    • topolman
      topolman
      Bronze

Hi,
      it has been a while since last updated my blog. I have some news about my poker life.
      Me and one of the coaches from czech and slovak community managed to make a coaching for % from profit deal. We already had one session and he was able to show me some leaks in my game which I was trying to fix through this month. I decreased number of tables playing to make sure I pay attention to all the spots. Next session with him is comming, I cant wait :) . After the firs session I felt like a biggest fish :D

So I applied some big changes to my game. In general I play much more aggressively during all stages and I am winning more chips without showdown.
      Despite the fact I had lowest monthly volume since I started taking poker seriously, I had my best month moneywise :)

I played my best poker in november. Mostly it was because of the coaching I already mentioned, but I also had a huge godmode on in a lot of spots. As you can see from that image above I felt like playing doom with IDDQD cheat. :D

It feels great to be lucky some times. If you have seen my previous graphs you know what I am talking about. I cant remember having a month above EV :s_love:

Graph:

My first month over 1000$ (RB included).

I want to ask you guys for help. Do you think I should move up to 10s or should I stay at 5s for some time to get some bigger sample? 1000 sngs is nothing. I already have a safe roll for 10s (around 120 BIs). The only thing that disourages me from moving up are swings. The thing is that my biggest swing in november was around 25 BIs it didnt break my mindset at all, but I know, from my personal experience, that swings can get much bigger. So at 10s a 50BI swing would mean 500$ and it is much money for me right now...
      So the only reason that makes me stay down at 5s is purely psychical. I didnt have a chance to get used to 2x bigger swings (move up from 2.25 to 5) and now I have to get used to 4x bigger swings (at 10s). And it can get even bigger beacuse of quality of players. What do you think?

Good luck to everyone who reads this :) I would love to see some ideas.
    • xxInspectorxx
      xxInspectorxx
      Bronze
      IF you are not living off from Poker then consider all that money lost and thus its so much easier to handle the swings.

Or start puttin money on the side. Every month take 10% of your monthly winnings on the side. After a while you will have a good reload roll incase disaster strikes. As it seem you are doing well on the $5s why not start taking in $10s little by little by mixing them to your sessions.

Thus you get:
      A. some stats from your future fulltime villains.
      B. You can note them and so forth.
      C your winrate in $5s will keep the possible losses in $10s to a minimum.

Add them little by little. Say you 10 table the 5s. First add 2 $10s to your sessions. If you go forth in them nicely you will get a nice boost into your bankroll on the side. If you run bad in them you still have the 5s covering the losses. Then next week add them to 4/10 then next week 6/10 and the next 8/10 and then after a month is done you will move to $10s fully. If you hit the rocky road you can drop away tables or move down to $5s to get some boost again and then rinse and repeat.

Hope this helps!