Mission: PLO2 to PLO10

• PerusJamppa
      PerusJamppa
      Bronze
      Hello Everybody!

I'm one of those poor lost souls from closed Finnish community, looking for a place to stay. :(
      I decided to give this english community (and my english lahguage) a chance and i do it by starting this (suprisingly) Omaha-project.

I normally play PLO4/PLO5/PLO10/PLO20 depending how many good tables are available at any given stakes. Because i don't like to play at PokerStars, there usually are some troubles to find good tables from these smaller sites/networks, so i have to mix those stakes quite a lot.

Reason for this project is this:
      I withdraw all my money from one pokersite but i didn't remember to turn some rakeback points to cash, so suddenly i had few extra euros (26,89€) to spew.
      First i think that i'll withdraw those also, but then i decided to just leave it there. After all there are times when i'm for example a bit too tired to play "real" games but still want to play and have some (inexpensive) fun, so those money was mention to be there for those occasions.

But then i had a thought that why not make a project out of that!
      So here we are!

The idea is play with very aggressive bankroll management. But hey, if you have 10+ buy-ins for PLO2 to start, there's no any other way! :D

Of course we need to be realistic here, so assumingly i will go broke. In Omaha (even in PLO2) you can quite easily loose those 10 buy-ins in a split second, so future of this project looks quite grim. :D

However, if i hit for some weird winning streak, here's the rules and goals:
      1) I play PLO2 until i have 60€.
      2a) After 60€ i play PLO4. If (when) i fall to 50€, i go back to the phase 1.
      2b) If that weird winning streak continues, i play PLO4 until i have 120€.
      3) After 120€ i play PLO10. If (when) i fall to 100€, i go back to the phase 2.
      Goal: 200€!

Sounds like a plan, eh?
      GL me! :f_cool:
  • 13 replies
    • Lazza61
      Lazza61
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Hey PerusJamppa,

First of all, welcome to the English community.

Secondly, welcome to the blogging section.

Who would have thought a Finn would be playing PLO. :tongue:

But seriously, a really nice idea for a challenge. Certainly will be interesting starting with such an aggressive BRM.

Best of luck,

Laz
    • PerusJamppa
      PerusJamppa
      Bronze
      Thanks Lazza! :f_thumbsup:

Had about an hour long session and played two tables PLO2 alongside with other games.
      Result was ~+1,50€. I had a little problems at the beginning because the game is bit different even compared to PLO4. I decided to tighten my hand ranges quite significantly from what it normally is and i think it was a good call. There's just no point open too marginal hands even from CO/BU when FE is around zero. Also it's quite easy to extract value with good hits so old wisdom "Tight is right" works just fine here.. :D

Biggest pot

It's easy game when you get the goods! :f_cool:
      Too bad that all the opponents were crappy-stacks..

BB: $0.93 (46.5 bb)
      Hero (MP): $2 (100 bb)
      CO: $1.77 (88.5 bb)
      BTN: $0.89 (44.5 bb)
      SB: $0.29 (14.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is MP with 9 A T A
      CO posts BB OOP, Hero raises to $0.09, CO folds, BTN calls $0.09, SB calls $0.08, BB calls $0.07

Flop: ($0.38) Q A 5 (4 players)
      SB checks, BB bets $0.38, Hero raises to $1.52, BTN calls $0.80 and is all-in, SB folds, BB calls $0.46 and is all-in

Turn: ($2.86) 3 (3 players, 2 are all-in)
      River: ($2.86) Q (3 players, 2 are all-in)

Results:$2.86 pot ($0.10 rake)
      Final Board: Q A 5 3 Q
      BB showed 8 6 A 8 and lost (-$0.93 net)
      Hero showed 9 A T A and won $2.76 ($1.83 net)
      BTN showed 5 6 9 5 and lost (-$0.89 net)
      SB mucked and lost (-$0.09 net)

______________________________________________________________________________

Session: +1,51€
      Hands: 119
      Bankroll: 28,40€
    • PerusJamppa
      PerusJamppa
      Bronze
      Like i predicted, variance can be a b*tch. :D
      Yesterday only ~60 hands and -2,5 buy-ins.
      I managed to get SPR 1 with aces, but villain flopped set with his 77xx and that was it.
      In other hand i check-raise-called with wrap and the villain had as strong hand as TP (9xxx) with overs, but nothing else but it was the best at the showdown.. :D

Isn't that nice

Not very nutty aces but the villain was maniac ~60/40. No one haven't 3-bet him so far so i decided to try if he maybe want to flip. Well, he just calls.

Flop is relatively good with top set and oesd. Problem is how to make him pay. Since he probably won't bet if i check, there's very little to do. I bet and suprisingly he calls.

Turn is also quite nice. :D
      I thought that by checking i give him chance to bluff but nothing happens.

River isn't the best card in deck but i can't see any other line but check-call. Well, runner-runner ftw.. :f_frown:

Prima, $0.01/$0.02 Pot Limit Omaha Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

SB: $1.02 (51 bb)
      Hero (BB): $2.15 (107.5 bb)
      UTG: $2 (100 bb)
      MP: $2.60 (130 bb)
      CO: $1.52 (76 bb)
      BTN: $2.52 (126 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A T A 9
      UTG folds, MP raises to $0.06, 3 folds, Hero raises to $0.18, MP calls $0.12

Flop: ($0.37) J 8 A (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.24, MP calls $0.24

Turn: ($0.85) 7 (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP checks

River: ($0.85) T (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP bets $0.50, Hero calls $0.50

Results:$1.85 pot ($0.10 rake)
      Final Board: J 8 A 7 T
      Hero mucked A T A 9 and lost (-$0.92 net)
      MP showed K 2 A T and won $1.75 ($0.83 net)

Session: -5,53€
      Hands: 186
      Bankroll: 22,87€
    • LedZayats
      LedZayats
      Bronze
      Originally posted by PerusJamppa
      Like i predicted, variance can be a b*tch. :D
      Yesterday only ~60 hands and -2,5 buy-ins.
      I managed to get SPR 1 with aces, but villain flopped set with his 77xx and that was it.
      In other hand i check-raise-called with wrap and the villain had as strong hand as TP (9xxx) with overs, but nothing else but it was the best at the showdown.. :D

Isn't that nice

Not very nutty aces but the villain was maniac ~60/40. No one haven't 3-bet him so far so i decided to try if he maybe want to flip. Well, he just calls.

Flop is relatively good with top set and oesd. Problem is how to make him pay. Since he probably won't bet if i check, there's very little to do. I bet and suprisingly he calls.

Turn is also quite nice. :D
      I thought that by checking i give him chance to bluff but nothing happens.

River isn't the best card in deck but i can't see any other line but check-call. Well, runner-runner ftw.. :f_frown:

Prima, $0.01/$0.02 Pot Limit Omaha Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

SB: $1.02 (51 bb)
      Hero (BB): $2.15 (107.5 bb)
      UTG: $2 (100 bb)
      MP: $2.60 (130 bb)
      CO: $1.52 (76 bb)
      BTN: $2.52 (126 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A T A 9
      UTG folds, MP raises to $0.06, 3 folds, Hero raises to $0.18, MP calls $0.12

Flop: ($0.37) J 8 A (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.24, MP calls $0.24

Turn: ($0.85) 7 (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP checks

River: ($0.85) T (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP bets $0.50, Hero calls $0.50

Results:$1.85 pot ($0.10 rake)
      Final Board: J 8 A 7 T
      Hero mucked A T A 9 and lost (-$0.92 net)
      MP showed K 2 A T and won $1.75 ($0.83 net)

Session: -5,53€
      Hands: 186
      Bankroll: 22,87€
      I'd bet/bet/bet or bet/bet/check-call there always against a standard opponent. Unless you KNOW this is a player who like to float and bluff when checked to, it's best to just bet for value and only check/call if the board gets obviously worse. A lot of people will just call you all the way with marginal hands (well, personally I have a loose image, so people call me more than they would a tight player, but at the lowest stakes, I think it still rings true even for someone who is tight), and a lot of people will call with marginal draws right down to the river and often bluff if they missed and you check to them. So I'd bet flop and bet turn here 100% and then check if the river is a diamond or a card that puts a higher straight on the board, otherwise I'd just bet the river too. But, as I've said, this works very well for me because generally I play loose-aggressive, so even good player sometimes call me light on dangerous boards. But since you say the villain was a maniac, I'd just play this super-straightforward even if I had a rock-solid image.
    • Kyyberi
      Kyyberi
      Coach
      Coach
      Definitely bet the turn. The hands that would bet will also call, as he shouldn't have any air in his range to bluff ott.
    • PerusJamppa
      PerusJamppa
      Bronze
      I thought that if he put me mostly on aces, only reason why he would call the flop is either straight draw or just air with idea to bluff because ~half of the deck will complete some straight on turn.
    • Kyyberi
      Kyyberi
      Coach
      Coach
      PLO2, and you think someone would float Axx flop against 3bet to double barrell with pure bluff? :f_confused: :s_confused: :f_confused:

He calls the flop cos he has either a draw, a made hand that he doesn't want to fold, or both. If he hit his straight, he will raise your bet anyway and you get the money in. If he has the draw, he will check behind. If he has AJxx or similar, he will check behind.

You overlevel yourself here. Pretty common mistake when your top game is a lot higher than opponent's. You go to level-game with thinking "if I do this, he thinks that I think, but I know what he thinks, so I think that he might think this when I do this and that..." and at the same time opponent doesn't even care about you, he just looks at his own cards.

In PLO2, those level 1 or 2 thinkers will actually outplay you (ofc they dont even realize it) when you start to level yourself. I would say that in PLO2 and PLO5, just valuebet, valuebet and valuebet. When you bluff, make sure you know a lot about opponent's range and be sure about what you are doing. FE is pretty low at those stakes.
    • PerusJamppa
      PerusJamppa
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Kyyberi
      :f_confused: :s_confused: :f_confused:
      Guess this was well earned! :f_biggrin:
      I have at least partially realised that i really need to go just back to basics if i even can hope to pull this one through, but there still work to do.. :D
    • Kyyberi
      Kyyberi
      Coach
      Coach
      Remember, good poker player adapts to current situation. You need to adjust to your opponents.
    • CPallo
      CPallo
      Bronze
      Old micro stakes rule I just invented: don't think that they think.
    • PerusJamppa
      PerusJamppa
      Bronze
      Well, guess i'm pretty much done here. :D
      ~700 hands PLO2 and 6-7 buy-ins under EV so my predictions are becoming true. At the same time all the other games go just the same way so i just reached one "milestone" since whole year's results for this year is now over 40 buy-ins under EV.
      Don't really know what to do. Motivation for the game is somewhere around zero.
      Luckily next four weeks are really busy so i might just stay away from tables. After that i need to think that should i just quit this crap and do something else with my life.. :D

Sessions: -11,89€
      Hands: 682
      Bankroll: 10,93€
    • tonypmm
      tonypmm
      Silver
      Hi! I'm your villain in round 4 of the HU championship and am excited to play its first ever PLO match :f_love: (it's permitted before the quarterfinals).

Please add me in the com tool to arrange it and exchange home game club IDs (and send me possible playing times right away).

It's sad to see you stuck at PLO10... how have your poker and life been going recently?
    • PerusJamppa
      PerusJamppa
      Bronze
      45 buy-ins below EV was just too much for me so i withdraw all my money from every site and quit this crap. :D
      After two months i did a small deposit and since then i've been playing every now and then.