[November Marathon] - [mesisification] - From NL25 to NL50 in a heartbeat!

• mesisification
      mesisification
      Bronze
      Hello english community!

I'm a NL25 player, who wants to move up to NL50+ as fast as possible. I want to participate to this November Marathon campaing because I feel like writing about the challenge kinda makes me work harder for my goals. I'll try to update this blog everyday until the end of this month.

Goals for the month:

• Playing 45k hands in this month. I'll try to play atleast 1,5k hands in a day. I want to have few days without poker too, so some days I aim to play like 2k-3k hands.
      • Improving my red line. Since I rebuilt my bankroll from NL10 recently, my game has been mostly really solid game with not that much bluffing and stuff. As a NL25 player I feel like I have to start taking pots with the worst hands more often and outplay regulars postflop.
      • I'm currently reading Mental Game of Poker from Jared Tendler, I hope to finish the book till the end of this month and use the things I learn in practice.
      • Watching videos from Schnitzelfisch. Things like motivation, taking action and making things done are definitely my biggest weaknesses in poker and in real life. By watching his videos I feel like I can improve a lot as a poker player and as a person in general.

That's about it. As I said, I'll try to update every single day about my progress. And as I said, taking action and getting things done are my biggest weaknesses, so those goals aren't as easy to me as it might sound. But I'll try my best. :)

My screen name is Sampo Texas, playing only in pokerstars at the moment.
  • 28 replies
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      YOU! we've played some hands, i had marked you as "possibly good-aggro" :D

i think that, while you should loosen up, you shouldn't "level" too much on nl25. for example, big bets on the river ALWAYS means they have it :f_biggrin:
    • mesisification
      mesisification
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Tomaloc
      YOU! we've played some hands, i had marked you as "possibly good-aggro" :D

i think that, while you should loosen up, you shouldn't "level" too much on nl25. for example, big bets on the river ALWAYS means they have it :f_biggrin:
      Haha, you can change your note to "not so good aggro". :f_biggrin:

Yeah that's the thing I've actually struggled with a lot in the past, but I feel like I've learned my lesson after losing many pots because of overlevelling for no good reason. While adding more bluffs in my postflop game I really should keep in mind that opponents aren't neccessarily doing the same. I shouldn't pay people off in big pots just because it's so good spot to bluff and I would bluff in that specific spot really often, people aren't (neccessarily) thinking like that.
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Good luck with your challenge mesisification!
    • mesisification
      mesisification
      Bronze
      Originally posted by HollyMichelle
      Good luck with your challenge mesisification!
      Thanks a lot. :)

Originally posted by Tomaloc
      Lol, I guess I haven't learned my lesson entirely:

Poker Stars, $0.10/$0.25 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

SB: $25 (100 bb)
      BB: $10 (40 bb)
      Hero (UTG): $27.08 (108.3 bb)
      MP: $52.58 (210.3 bb)
      CO: $9.65 (38.6 bb)
      BTN: $25 (100 bb)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 7 7
      Hero raises to $0.75, 4 folds, BB raises to $1.25, Hero calls $0.50

Flop: ($2.60) 4 Q 2 (2 players)
      BB bets $0.75, Hero calls $0.75

Turn: ($4.10) 4 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks

River: ($4.10) 2 (2 players)
      BB bets $4.50, Hero calls $4.50

Results:
      $13.10 pot ($0.59 rake)
      Final Board: 4 Q 2 4 2
      BB showed Q Q and won $12.51 ($6.01 net)
      Hero mucked 7 7 and lost (-$6.50 net)

When I played the hand I thought that I can call just because villain would've propably bet on the turn if he had a valuehand, but when I look the hand now, I think it's quite clear fold. Fishes like to play tricky with strong hands, and this minraise preflop and overbet on the river are really clear indicators of a strong hand. Should've folded. I think I should have some kind of reads that villain is aggressive before I can call here, but this villain was more like a passive fish.
    • mesisification
      mesisification
      Bronze
      I watched Bootcamp Topics: Focus from Schnitzelfisch earlier today, great video in my opinion.

10 Things about focus:

1. Sleep
      2. Nutrition
      3. Hydration
      4. Session Goals
      5. # of tables played
      6. Multitasking and Distractions
      7. Breaks
      8. Workspace
      9. Annoying thoughts
      10. Mindfulness

1. Sleeping is something I've struggled a lot recently. Monday to Friday I usually sleep like 1-6 hours in a night, saturday to sunday I might sleep 8-14 hours in a night. I really have to create a solid sleep schedule, and stick into it! 7-9 hours every night. I aim to wake up every morning approximately the same time, same with going to sleep.

2. There's definitely some room to improve, but this has never been a huge problem for me. I'll try to eat as much vegetables and fruits as possible, and I try to avoid soda and other stuff that contains a lot of sugar/salt.

3. I try to drink water as much as possible. I should propably get a cool water bottle that I can use whatever I do and wherever I go.

4. I've never really done this properly. I've always had these big dreams and goals about poker, getting into high stakes and making bunch of sweet money playing poker. What I've learned recently is that you really should have short term goals aswell, those are even more important than those big goals and dreams. Definitely something I aim to do in the future. Session goals, weekyl goals, monthly goals... And I have to be as specific
      as possible, because then it's more likely that I get the job done.

5. I've played 6 tables a long time, and I feel like it is the good amount for me. Haven't had any problems with this, but I should definitely be aware that playing fewer tables and possibly adding more tables is fine if I feel like I can/can't handle the amount I play at the moment.

6. I used to surf on the internet whenever I felt like I was bored while I was playing, but I haven't done that for a while anymore. However chatting in skype and texting with my phone are my problems at the moment. Today while I played I didn't react when my phone rang or something, and I switched skype status to "Do not distrurb". This is a small problem for me but I fell like it's quite easy to fix.

7. I try to play 60-90 minutes and take a break, 5 minutes atleast. I feel good about it and I think it works for me.

8. I used to have a terrible workspace with all these empty energy drink cans and cups etc. Nowadays my workspace is somewhat clean and simple, just a few empty mugs... But yeah, I'll try to keep my workspace clean, messy workspace is not good.

9. Schnitzelfisch said in the video that writing those annoying thoughts on a piece of paper before the session helps to keep those things out of your mind. I have to try that out, allthough this hasn't been a huge problem for me. Most of the time I can keep those thoughts out of my mind.

10. There's a lot of good videos from Erik Stenqvist about the subject, and I think I should learn more about those things. I'll try to watch those videos in this month. I have also a book from Ekhart Tolle, that I aim to read sooner or later.

I think these things are really important if you want to be a winning player in poker. Many people ignore these things completely and they are losing players with a good theoretical knowledge about the game. I feel like I have more leaks in mental game than in my actual game, and I try to fix those leaks. Gotta watch more of these videos, and also videos from Erik.

About poker:

I played like 600 hands allready, my overall game was quite good but I made a few mistakes that I noticed. My session goals were to lable opponents as much as possible, and possibly finding some things about their game that I can exploit. I managed to do this pretty well I would say, but there's definitely a plenty of room to improve. I noticed that in few spots I really wasn't focusing 100%, and I realized that if I thought the situation more, I would've made a better play. But that's okay, I just have to learn from this. Nobody's perfect, not even me. :f_eek:
    • mesisification
      mesisification
      Bronze
      Haven't played a lot in the past two days. I have slept really poorly and I've just felt that I couldn't have played my A-game anyway, so I just decided not to play. Kinda slow start for this projekt, gotta catch up later on. :)
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Sometimes it's just better to not play and it's even better when you recognise this and save yourself some $$$
    • CPallo
      CPallo
      Bronze
      Rest and save the coaching for me with the lack of volume you have :coolface: Good luck with project anyway :s_cool:
    • mesisification
      mesisification
      Bronze
      Originally posted by HollyMichelle
      Sometimes it's just better to not play and it's even better when you recognise this and save yourself some $$$
      Yeah that's true. When I feel like I can't play my A-game, it's propably just better idea to take a short break and come back even stronger.

Originally posted by CPallo
      Rest and save the coaching for me with the lack of volume you have :coolface: Good luck with project anyway :s_cool:
      Heh, I'm affraid I can't do that. :f_biggrin: Thank you. :)
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Yep, I wish I could just take my own advice sometimes :D

I might not play for 2 weeks and then I go over-board! Hopefully some day I will smarten up :D

Good luck today if grinding!
    • mesisification
      mesisification
      Bronze
      Graph of the past 7 days:

Results are obviously great this far. However I feel like these 7 days hasn't been really great, because I haven't played that many hands. My goal is still to get 45k hands in this month, and I think I'll be able to do that. I'm really confident about my game, I just have to motivate myself to get volume and play my A-game as often as possible.

About my game:

I've recently noticed that I'm giving people too much credit about their game. I'm not saying that regulars at NL25 are bad, I just think that I've made quite a few bad plays thinking that villains are thinking on the same level. I think that regulars at NL25 are playing preflop pretty well, their 3-/4betting as a bluff and they don't leak that much money. However their postflop game is pretty much just playing their cards most of the time. They are not raising as a bluff, they are not flouting really often and they are affraid of making thin calls in certain spots. I've tried to exploit this by playing postflop in position as much as possible and outplaying villains. It's just so nice to play in position versus TAG-regulars with 22 VPIP and 23 WTSD, you can do so many profitable things. For example if a solid regular checks as a preflop raiser, he is just never gonna calldown you with anything. Never say never, but really often bet-bet-bet line works.

Productivity

Recently I've studied a lot about things like productivity, making things done and having a succesful habits. God bless Schnitzelfisch and his content. I'm just like a total beginner who has been introduced to pokerstrategy starting hand chart and who's playing first time with some kind of knowledge about winning poker. I've watched a couple of videos about motivation and goal setting for example and I'm trying out things I learned from those videos. I feel like I am a really good player, but what comes to productivity and things like that, I'm a total fish. This is why I've recently watched only those videos instead of videos about game theory or something game related. I just think that in order to be constantly winning player, improving mental game and productivity is the most important thing to me right now.

Excited about the future!
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Great week results wise indeed and hopefully you can get the required volume in for the rest of the month :)
    • smice12
      smice12
      Bronze
      That giraffe is really hot!!
    • mesisification
      mesisification
      Bronze
      Thank you guys. :)

Finally I managed to build 25BI bankroll for NL50. My plan was to play NL50 and go back to NL25 if my bankroll went under 20BI. So today I played my first NL50 sessions - and lost 4BI. :f_biggrin: 21BI left, I will go as planned, back to NL25 if my bankroll goes under 20BI. I definitely could've played better, but I didn't just spew those 4BI away. Feeling pretty good about NL50, I really feel like I can beat the limit relatively quickly. I just have focus and play my A-game, that's just so important.
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Good luck and crush NL50 like a boss!
    • mesisification
      mesisification
      Bronze
      I've played NL50 for a few days now, I'm down like 1BI but that's ok. As I said, I will move down to NL25 if my bankroll goes below 20BI, hopefully I'll be able to get some winning sessions and start to play NL50 more as a regular, now I'm more like shotting and trying out how it works there. I've noticed that regulars are more of less better and they are clearly thinking more than NL25 regulars. It will be a challenge but at the same time I'll be able to learn really effectively when I'm forced to play versus these thinking regulars. For the first time I feel like some regulars might be a bit challenging for me, great opportunity to learn effectively! It's also ok if I have to move down, I will beat NL50 sooner or later, I just have to play well and get good volume.

Last night I wrote myself a few tasks that I wanted to do first when I wake up. Those tasks were just simple things I want to do in the morning: brush your teeth, eat a good breakfast, take a shover and do a few push-ups. I had to do these tasks first thing in the morning, I didn't open my computer until these tasks were completed. I read that doing productive things right after you wake up helps you to be productive troughout the day. These things might not seem so productive to you guys, but for me these things are. Usually I'm not able to do anything in the morning because I'm tired and lazy and this is why I might be tired and lazy the entire day. I felt the effect right away: I've been happy and energized today and I feel like I can do things that I want to do without being tired or lazy about them.
    • smice12
      smice12
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mesisification
      Last night I wrote myself a few tasks that I wanted to do first when I wake up. Those tasks were just simple things I want to do in the morning: brush your teeth, eat a good breakfast, take a shover and do a few push-ups. I had to do these tasks first thing in the morning, I didn't open my computer until these tasks were completed. I read that doing productive things right after you wake up helps you to be productive troughout the day. These things might not seem so productive to you guys, but for me these things are. Usually I'm not able to do anything in the morning because I'm tired and lazy and this is why I might be tired and lazy the entire day. I felt the effect right away: I've been happy and energized today and I feel like I can do things that I want to do without being tired or lazy about them.
      U need to start from little things, and increase it bit by bit. And u have a good start already, just stick to ur plan and you´ll see how those little things makes so big difference!!
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Originally posted by smice12
      U need to start from little things, and increase it bit by bit. And u have a good start already, just stick to ur plan and you´ll see how those little things makes so big difference!!
      +1
    • Lurjus
      Lurjus
      Gold
      I think we've been reading the same things. :f_p: Tomorrow will be the day three for me.
      I did too get tired of being tired and lazy all the time. So I decided to make a change and I think it's working somehow. I caught myself smiling this morning for no reason, which made me smile even more.. :f_biggrin: (Still sane, I think)
      GL dude! :f_thumbsup: