SHC TAG vs SNG ?

• sc2zerker
      sc2zerker
      Bronze
      I read through a lot of the NL material and it explains how to play as a TAG and how to call certain bets and fold other bets. What your range should be. Are those all directly aimed at cash games?

Im reading through the SnG material and it's completely different. It's ranges are way tighter and basically you never call. Is it because of demishing chip value ? So what's up?
  • 3 replies
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      you referring to preflop or postflop?

2 main differences:
      1. A chip won is worth less than a chip lost
      2. Deeper stacks for cash games

calling ranges can be much looser preflop in cash games. For postflop, stack to pot ratio will vary greatly in SnGs, depending on which phase of the game you are currently in. This will affect ranges and bet sizes a lot.
    • sc2zerker
      sc2zerker
      Bronze
      referring to pre-flop. Thanks for the quick response.

Mostly limping in pots with T9s-54s and lower pairs like 66-22. Is it not worth trying to hit a straight, flush, or set by limping in small 6max SnGs? The SnG beginners guide said to raise/fold or raise/all-in in these SnG, compared to the TAG SHC for NL... Kinda confused on how i should be playing.

Example you have 75BB it's the start of a tourny, You can call with 1BB with 33 to try and hit a set. well 1BB gives you the potential to win someone's else 75BB if you hit that set. Why wouldn't you limp? its a 12% chance that costs your 1/75 your chips.

I guess the problem arises when you hit someone who has 77+, AJ+ and they simply raise to 3BB,4BB,5BB+ according to how many limpers they are. Then limping for those small chance isn't worth it anymore.
    • kurrkabin
      kurrkabin
      Bronze
      Hi from me as well :)

Thing is that in a 6-max SnG you rarely wanna limp as there are not many people to act behind and it's easier to represent a hand by raising than by limping. You can win the hand more that just one way...Meaning that even if you don't hit your set, you can still cbet on Axx board and get credit for it.
      But ofc it's possible and I will still do it, say, we have 2 limpers and I am on the BTN with 22-55 and stack sizes of 40bb+. I am not raising as I expect the limpers to come along very often and I basically have to bluff on the flop almost always. Hand has no playability post. But first to act, my intention will be to always raise. If we get calls and we are deep-even better.

By limping you let yourself being exploited and a good reg is going to note your play and you can never be profitable against him. He can iso super wide range on the BTN f.e. and make a huge amount of chips ITLR.